Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

March 21st Weekly Roundup Question 1

Old
March 21st Weekly Roundup Question 1 - Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Here you can post your responses to Question 1 for discussion after the Weekly Roundup is posted.

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 09:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I think staking is a great way for players to start building a bankroll and a potentially good way for investors to make a little money.
One thing I suggest is that you as a horse play in a game that is comfortable to you. You want to play without being afraid of losing the investors money so that you can play "your" game and be successful. Understand the investor is aware of the potential to lose all they invest, and just go have fun, and bring it!!!
I think it's just another example of how this really is a uniques community. Here, we're staking what i would call friends..not just a pony.
To all involved, do your best to keep all info communicating to your investor so they have no regrets and I think this will be around for a long time.
Best o' luck to the investors and players.
Dano

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
I thought the article comes out tomorrow, or I would have played another game yesterday, being as I love publicity and all, oh well.

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 03:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresBruno View Post
I thought the article comes out tomorrow, or I would have played another game yesterday, being as I love publicity and all, oh well.
yawn... not about u... never was about u... so... make like a losing hand... and... muck off...

Now pertaining to eric's question...

I believe staking @ PSO will be the future wave. It brings together a great group of peeps who all share in a common goal(s). I, for one, would be absolutely delighted to be part of the team that has in their stable... the next break thru player to emerge from the PSO ranks.

Last edited by EasyChips4U; Mon Mar 21, 2011 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Add-on

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyChips4U View Post
yawn... not about u... never was about u... so... make a losing hand... and... muck off...

Now pertaining to eric's question...

I believe staking @ PSO will be the future wave. It brings together a great group of peeps who all share in a common goal(s). I, for one, would be absolutely delighted to be part of the team that has in their stable... the next break thru player to emerge from the PSO ranks.
I think we might have one easy, once he breaks through the arrogance of youth

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
I think we might have one easy, once he breaks through the arrogance of youth
yup... the younger 1s have that tendency... 2 be full of piss and vinegar...

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#7)
It seems to be... there is no interest on this topic. I woulda thought there be more responses regarding staking. Been checking 4 days, but see no new replies. I guess no one has opinions on this topic?

Last edited by EasyChips4U; Wed Mar 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 11:16 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2010
Hello

Thanks a bunch to PanikyPoker
Staked me $5 to play in storm $1 sats
Just missed out

Also big shout out to roomik17 for $2 to play in a couple of 50/50's
Vpp's now upto 7.57 lol

Wish I had done better sorry guys
But thanks again for the chance

spike

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Easy, possibly the reason more people didn’t respond is the thread has no mention of the topic in the title. My guess is eric put the thread up and it dropped off the page. Then Dan read the Weekly Roundup article and linked through.

I only came here because I saw your reply. It took me more than twenty minutes to find the question that was buried in the article that shares a rotating spot with the other five articles on the home page that I spend little time with as I am on the way to my profile or on the way here.

Now that I am here, I’ll toss my opinion out on the question:

“Do you have thoughts on Poker Staking, good or bad experiences, or any advice for stakers or the "horses" that are staked?”

Stakers should realize, under most circumstances, staking should be more about the relationship than the possible profit of the individual stake being offered. Helping a buddy stay in the game is often more rewarding that a temporary influx to your bankroll. Of course you have to be careful when you’re staking a buddy, that you are helping and not hurting him (think of the movie Rounders). It could also be rewarding to help someone you don’t know personally break through.

When being staked it is important to have the terms of the agreement well defined. The easiest there is for a specific tournament. It is also important to only accept a staking offer if it is in your own best interest. The worse thing a “horse” could do is to take a stake at a level he is already well funded for and winning at. Personally, a lot of the stakes I have taken have been for half the cost of a tournament. Several times I’ve spent $7.50 from my puny bankroll and taken a Step One ticked up to Step Four. Then I had a buddy buy half my action for $107.50. His investment was within responsible bankroll management for him and I end up booting my roll by $100 AND take a shot at a $215 tourney. I’ve had a couple of small cashes so my buddy is always eager to do it again.

If both parties focus on the relationship first and the money second and they make sure the agreement is good for both themselves and the other person it will usually turn out fine. If one finds himself selling or being sold on the deal, that is usually a good sign to back away.

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
Hey Easy, possibly the reason more people didn’t respond is the thread has no mention of the topic in the title. My guess is eric put the thread up and it dropped off the page. Then Dan read the Weekly Roundup article and linked through.

I only came here because I saw your reply. It took me more than twenty minutes to find the question that was buried in the article that shares a rotating spot with the other five articles on the home page that I spend little time with as I am on the way to my profile or on the way here.....
You are correct sir.

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=Mmmm Fish;265429]Hey Easy, possibly the reason more people didn’t respond is the thread has no mention of the topic in the title. My guess is eric put the thread up and it dropped off the page. Then Dan read the Weekly Roundup article and linked through.
[QUOTE]

Well, Fish, we added a weekly question to try to get more readers to the Weekly Roundup. I even started offering cash prizes for readers who linked through. As we approach a very huge tournament event on Pokerstars, I will be offering even bigger stakes. So, for those who don't read the Weekly Roundup, you might want to start if you want a chance at a big payday in the next couple months.

Old
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
As far as being a staker, I think that is a possibility for the future if my bankroll gets to the level where I could afford it. If I ever did stake someone, it would be the same way I lend money in real life--freely given with repayment or profit seen as great, but not expected.

I don't think I would ever be comfortable as a "horse", though. Right now I am just not good enough to play with OPM. If I ever get good enough, I won't need to, and won't want to share the profits.

One of my favorite things about poker is that it is not a team sport and I prefer to rise and fall on my own merits (or lack thereof).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com