Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

how to get my chip stack up early

Old
how to get my chip stack up early - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
i play in low stake tournaments and i play following the general guidelines from pso and only play good starting hands, but i find that by doing that as well as still losing some of those hands i never can get my chip stack up early stages so i can stay in content with other players during the latter stages of the tournament where th highest chip stack is about 10 times my amount and also have to worry about the high blinds eating away at my low stack. i dont play loose but play tight agressive like they say but that just isnt working to keep me in the late stages of the tournament. so besides playing super loose and going "all in" all the time like some people do and just hope for luck what else can i do to get my chip stacks up early?? any advice would be appreciated.

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 02:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Sorry dude, I tried to read that about 5 times and it just looked like a mess a mess of words.

From what I think I saw I think you should just take a deep breath and let the next hand happen...

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 02:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis100 View Post
i play in low stake tournaments and i play following the general guidelines from pso and only play good starting hands, but i find that by doing that as well as still losing some of those hands i never can get my chip stack up early stages so i can stay in content with other players during the latter stages of the tournament where th highest chip stack is about 10 times my amount and also have to worry about the high blinds eating away at my low stack. i dont play loose but play tight agressive like they say but that just isnt working to keep me in the late stages of the tournament. so besides playing super loose and going "all in" all the time like some people do and just hope for luck what else can i do to get my chip stacks up early?? any advice would be appreciated.
MCR, so mean. I'm probably the last to give advice on chipping up early. But, welcome to the forums. I really think it depends on what your goals are for the PSO tourney. Are you trying to win one for the $2.-? Are you trying to ladder up on the rankings for the EoM Prizes? Please let us know what you're goals are.

Also, try to break your post into paragraphs or what not. Just put breaks in the post so, the forums trolls won't strain their eyes. (makes em grumpy). Spelling a plus. Bad Grammer seems to be ok, as I'm still kicking in this forum. Anyways, give us a little more info, and I'm sure there will be nice trolls to help you out. BTW MCR is a nice guy. Just got to get to know him. GL -shark

Old
?? - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:10 AM
(#4)
If you are playing micro- and following good BRM- meaning you have 100 buy ins -- then imo- you have to go fishin early on with drawing hands like 56-10J, QJo. K9 suited or even Ax etc- if you can get in cheap or make pot odds calls with pretty much ATC in LP- at the very least i believe you need to double up twice in the first 3 levels- or may as well move on to the next tourney-

It sounds like ima tellin to to open right up- and i am- as if you watch what the other players are opening with- you will find that hands like K9 or Ax are not that far behind- or even a slight favorite-

If you can double or triple up early- thats when you can nit right up and pick off the late reggies- and build a nice stack-- jmo-- gl monk...

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis100 View Post
Why do you care about getitng your chip stack up "early" in an MTT event?

First...define "early".

The amount of chips you will likely win in the early stages (first 3 or so levels), a double or triple up of your start stack, is a MINISCULE protion of the chips you will need to have to make it to the final table, and will not een represent much more than a quarter or a thrid of what you will need to make it ITM. Making any sorts of significant efforts at changing your game to "chase" double or triple ups tht early will tend to induce far more RISK in your game than is truly necessary, and as stated the "reward" of said chips ups do not justify that additional risk.

You would be much better served in those early stages by trying to identify the top 10% to 15% of SITUATIONS, and entering pots in those spots. Some of those 10% to 15% may be when you catch really premium hands and can paly them "hard", they may occur when you hold a small to medimum pocket pair and you can limp into a pot to "set mine", or they may be when you can get involved in a cheap pot with postion with a hand that might flop a strong draw versus opponents who tend to under bet. The key point is that by LIMITING your pot entries to the best, and most profitable, situations, you minimize your risk AND maximize your chances of picking a couple of SMALL pots to keep "ahead" of the blinds.

The key point is this: it not until the blinds begin to rise to a level where they represent a decent portion of most of the stacks at your table stack that you really begin to hit a "move time". That move time is when there are some shorter stacks begin to feel "desprete", and start to make rash moves that you can play against with slightly WEAKER holdings. By identifying those "desprete" players, and taking advantaege of them, you can really start to accumulate chips.

So what you should really be thinking about in the early stages are ways to accumulate SMALL amounts of chips, with minimal risk, so that you maintain a stack that keeps you out of the "desperation" zone when many at your table fall into it. This puts you into a prime position to make the chip up's you want (and need) to make deep runs.

Chasing those chip up's TOO early will jsut add up to more risk, and will quite often not yeild gains commensurate to that additional risk.

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskunk4 View Post
If you are playing micro- and following good BRM- meaning you have 100 buy ins -- then imo- you have to go fishin early on with drawing hands like 56-10J, QJo. K9 suited or even Ax etc- if you can get in cheap or make pot odds calls with pretty much ATC in LP- at the very least i believe you need to double up twice in the first 3 levels- or may as well move on to the next tourney-

It sounds like ima tellin to to open right up- and i am- as if you watch what the other players are opening with- you will find that hands like K9 or Ax are not that far behind- or even a slight favorite-

If you can double or triple up early- thats when you can nit right up and pick off the late reggies- and build a nice stack-- jmo-- gl monk...
Opening up a LITTLE BIT is not the worse thing you can do, especially if you know how to effectively use postion. If you open up too far tho, you may well find yourself in dis-advantageous situations, and BLEED chips, rather than accumulate them...

Key things you should note about your opponents when you do open up to paly more speculative holdings are: how do they play top pairs? How do they play lesser pairs? How do they play their draws? How do they paly their clean misses?

If, and only if, you can identify those critical things does it become "valid" to start to widen your game. Example:

Let's say you are on the button, and have K9o. Are you "happy" on a K hi flop if you are playing against a guy who raised in EP, and has only entered 2 pots voluntarily in 30 hands, after that EP raiser C-Bets 2/3rds the pot?

Switch that up to face a player who has opened raised 15 of the last 30 hands, and how do you feel about your K9o ona K hi flop?

Playing a wider range in spots which justify that wider range of palys is CERTAINLY the route to increasing your chances of early chip up's (especially against truly BAD players), but failing to identify all the ramifications of those decisions to "open it up" is far more likely to lead you to chip loss...

so I do not dis-agree with MonkeySkunk at all really, I jsut felt it should be stated that you simply do not want to be rashly widening your range jsut for the sake of widening it...

Know who you are widen it against, and what they are liekly to do do in reaction, and THEN you can really accelerate your chip accumulation!

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
when u see a flop early, and there's 4-6 people in the pot and ur on the button, don't value bet unless u have at least top pair good kicker, or top pair and a back door flush or gutshot, things like that. even if u have the best hand, there's inevitably going to be at least 2 callers, and ur going to have a hard time to know where u stand. if u check and let others bet, they will often underbet the pot, which gives u more leeway.

don't be afraid to try a variety of things, such as minraising in postion if there is no action to u, or bluffing several hands in a row to players who are likely to give up given the flop texture. u just have to keep in mind the ratio of the amount of the big blind to ur chip stack. u want to have at least 15 bbs to feel comfortable and continue to play without shoving preflop, or having to shove the flop with a draw vs. what u know to be someone with top pair.

u also have to be aware of how big of bets u are making. lets say u have KT on a KQ3 board. u might be able to manipulate the pot so that someone with K6 calls u down. u want to find that right balance where u aren't making it too much to price these hands out (assuming the player who has it isn't a donk and will call with anything for any amount), but not so small that u aren't getting the full value out of ur hand.

when ur bluffing, it has to make sense. if u always bet 1/2 the pot when u have a hand but bet 3/4 or the full pot that when u r bluffing, people with A or K hi are gonna pick it off over and over again. never 3 barrel a donkey, b/c he's probably not paying attention to stack size or ur table image or anything like that. these are the kind of players where u can bet hands like bottom two pair very aggressively, b/c they will likely pay u off with 2nd and 3rd pair over and over. u want to make sure u r betting ur big hands strongly early, b/c donkeys aren't going to be around for awhile.

GL!

Old
?? - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:45 AM
(#8)
thanks - jd- you know i cant type fast enough to explain my thoughts-gl..monk

Old
42 - the answer to life, the universe and everything - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#9)
Astro705
(Odelay)
Everything you need to know is right here

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...hread-reposted

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com