Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Slow Playing 10's Preflop vs LAG Opponents

Old
Slow Playing 10's Preflop vs LAG Opponents - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 04:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.1 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t5615)
Button (t6090)
SB (t5280)
BB (t2365)
Hero (UTG) (t3815)
UTG+1 (t990)
MP1 (t3135)
MP2 (t2905)
MP3 (t8910)

Hero's M: 6.36

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 10, 10
Hero calls t250, 1 fold, MP1 calls t250, 3 folds, Button bets t750, SB calls t625, 1 fold, Hero raises to t3790 (All-In), MP1 calls t2860 (All-In), Button calls t3040, 1 fold

Flop: (t11915) 6, 5, J (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t11915) 7 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t11915) K (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t11915

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 04:16 AM
(#2)
This is from a .10c Turbo MTT, the table as a whole has been action packed lots of raises and reraises with speculative holdings. I perceive the villain as LAG because I have observed him raise preflop often and with a wide range, 98s, 22, 55, and Ax. I limped with 10's as a slow play hoping to catch one of the LAG players raising light and was happy to get it in preflop here. I'm not sure if my thinking and play in this situation is correct though. Thoughts?

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
I'm not a big fan of getting cute with a 15 bb stack. Given strong confidence someone will 3x it behind you allowing you to l/rr all in I think it's ok, but just opening yourself would be fine too.

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 08:24 AM
(#4)
PapiW
(PapiW)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I'm not a big fan of getting cute with a 15 bb stack. Given strong confidence someone will 3x it behind you allowing you to l/rr all in I think it's ok, but just opening yourself would be fine too.
+1. With the great Langolier here.

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Jim!!! Nice to see you back around these parts, hope you'll hang out a while.

Dave

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
(#6)
Most of the time I would just open raise myself, but my stack size and position it can be very difficult to play after the flop. With the table dynamic I don't think Im ever getting a raise through and im likely to get called by multiple players. Do you think open shoving 15 BB stack is a good play? Or should I 2.5-3X raise?

I was happy with the play, had good equity going to the river, dang King killed me. Winning this pot would have given me a top 20 chip stack.

Old
Wed Mar 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidInFull6 View Post
Most of the time I would just open raise myself, but my stack size and position it can be very difficult to play after the flop. With the table dynamic I don't think Im ever getting a raise through and im likely to get called by multiple players. Do you think open shoving 15 BB stack is a good play? Or should I 2.5-3X raise?

I was happy with the play, had good equity going to the river, dang King killed me. Winning this pot would have given me a top 20 chip stack.
Agree this is difficult to play post flop if we make a standard open, with 15 bigs I'm usually just shoving it tbh. We'll have good fold equity and when we get called TT will play fine... we'll sometimes be up against an overpair but will also get looked up from weaker players holding underpairs as well, and be in a lot of small favorite coin flips, over all shoving will be +EV. Given a guaranteed raise behind l/rr may be more +EV, it depends on our FE on the jam and the range they'll attack our limp with. And of course a strong confidence the raise is actually coming behind our limp, sometimes this limp looks suspicious and they don't take the bait.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com