Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Playing big hands early in a tourney

Old
Playing big hands early in a tourney - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
So I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on playing big hands (pocket queens/kings/aces, or AK) early in the tourney (say first 3 levels)

I played one tourney today and a player I consider pretty good (his stats had him top 100 of the leader board i think) limped a bunch of big hands.

for example: he had AK and limped. he flopped the nut straight, but ended up chopping the pot because the turn and river put broadway on the table.

then later I had a pocket pair against him, ended up getting to a showdown and he turned over pocket kings.

Both times he failed to even raise a little bit. I would think especially at the lower levels at least raising to 60/80 at 1st level or 90/120 is going to weed out any limpers. yes, i understand that playing a big hand also has a chance of losing a huge pot because of a suck out or a donk. but still limping in with such monsters just seems like "hey il get to a cheap showdown and hope my cards held up"

so just wanted to get everyone's opinion on how you play big hands. i understand top ranked players can't afford to lose early in a tourney so they should be skeptical about playing big hands and the chance of busing out early, but i think limping just seems too extreme.

so top leader board players, tourney is between 1st and 3rd level and your dealt a big hand. how do you play it?

Old
Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
There is a reason he is in the top 100...don't you think?

You can't play in the PSO like you would in a normal MTT.

Old
. - Mon Mar 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
The new MTT course has a section on playing in the PSO league that explains the different plays. It's worth taking a look.

Good luck!!

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 04:13 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
I'm playing AA and KK ULTRA aggressively early in a PSO right from the jump as they are both hands that I want action but want it to be in an ISO situation ideally. More times than not there will always be at least one ATC mouthbreather around to call you off in this situation. If you play these hands weak you're inviting more players into the pot than you want. And then you face the very real potential to have a myriad of tough post flop descisions that could have been easily avoided. Remember most poor players either don't care and just ship ATC,or they assume that everyone else is as bad as they are and think YOU'RE the donk and their Q7o has you crushed.
For me the descision to play,or not to play,is made when you decide whether or not to register. After that if I get donked or Ace-ragged in the case of KK,then it just was'nt meant to be. And then you take out your aggressions.

That's what penguins and ants are for,afterall.

AK,QQ and the like? Much more open to many different styles of playing these early depending on a host of factors.

Old
?? - Tue Mar 22, 2011, 05:06 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
moxie, moxie,moxie- i better tell you this before tazz gets up-- you wrote "have A myriad OF tough post flop decisions..." should read- have myriad tough post flop decisions- and as per the ?? above- its all dependent on the table dynamic, stack size and position- as all hands are-gl monk..

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
(#6)
I had KK yesterday, raised 3x BB, got reraised, 1 caller after the rereaiser, I shoved all in when it got to me to try and isolate, the original raiser folded, the caller called with J9s. Guess what, I had said in chat before I shoved that "here comes my bad beat of the day". And of course, this donk hit his flush on the river. Out early again.

So maybe limping with KK and AA isn't such a bad idea given the sheer # of sick beats you get in these PSOs compared to a regular tourney, and believe me there are more sick beats in PSO than anywhere else in Pokerstars.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
In the early rounds, (first 4), I'll shove pre flop with pocket aces and then start praying for a one-on-one play. In that situation, my aces will either gain nothing more than the blinds, (most common), or will get one maniac to call. Aces have been running around 870 for me, so that is a good play. If more than one person calls my shove, I know I'm in for a loss.

On the other major pocket pair, (KK,QQ,JJ), the best strategy in all rounds is to limp to the flop in the PSO. My experience is that if you push, the RNG seems to put that higher card on the community and the other guy will have it. Cannot tell you how many times my cowboys have met a river ace, or how many times my ladies get raped. Nature of the game.

As to ace-king, forget what the books tell you. This is a very weak hand at any point of the game pre flop, even if suited. From my experience, these cards need help, which means seeing the flop as cheap as possible. Best you can hope for is pairing these cards if unsuited, and the flush if suited. Getting a 4-card flush is the game holding a carrot just out of reach. Getting a 4-card straight is playing the fool as you're drawing to the inside. Both are losing situations, so do it cheap, if you do it at all.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
I had KK yesterday, raised 3x BB, got reraised, 1 caller after the rereaiser, I shoved all in when it got to me to try and isolate, the original raiser folded, the caller called with J9s. Guess what, I had said in chat before I shoved that "here comes my bad beat of the day". And of course, this donk hit his flush on the river. Out early again.

So maybe limping with KK and AA isn't such a bad idea given the sheer # of sick beats you get in these PSOs compared to a regular tourney, and believe me there are more sick beats in PSO than anywhere else in Pokerstars.

he probably knew you had him dominated so he was saying he was gonna have the bad beat.

and that blows pretty much same thing happened to me in a ring game except i had 2 callers and queen 10 ended up beating my kings and ak.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
To the original poster. One of the biggest lessons that I learned is that I could not win the tournament in the early rounds, but I could lose it.
Having realized that, I now play the big hands conservatively.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com