Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

quality of game

Old
quality of game - Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
The existing system of ranking does not take into account the quality of the game.

A player who has a lot of free time, can play a 40-50 games per month and will have a high rating.
Playing 50 games, with an average result of 4 points, he obtained 200 (1700) points .
Another player having played 12 games with 10 points, will result in only 120 points (1620).

You can say - The first player plays more and second plays better.

I think it would be interesting for the PSO to have a second rating calculated for players who played more than 10 games in a month.

This rank would calculated using the formula:
(Points-1500) / number_ of_games * 100

Examples
(1694.72 -1500) / 17 *100 = 1145.41
(1825.45-1500) / 27 * 100 = 1205.37
(1457.58-1500) / 12 *100 = - 353.5

Such rating increase interest to play PSO tournaments and would encourage better quality of game.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 02:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_rez View Post
The existing system of ranking does not take into account the quality of the game.

A player who has a lot of free time, can play a 40-50 games per month and will have a high rating.
Playing 50 games, with an average result of 4 points, he obtained 200 (1700) points .
Another player having played 12 games with 10 points, will result in only 120 points (1620).

You can say - The first player plays more and second plays better.

I think it would be interesting for the PSO to have a second rating calculated for players who played more than 10 games in a month.

This rank would calculated using the formula:
(Points-1500) / number_ of_games * 100

Examples
(1694.72 -1500) / 17 *100 = 1145.41
(1825.45-1500) / 27 * 100 = 1205.37
(1457.58-1500) / 12 *100 = - 353.5

Such rating increase interest to play PSO tournaments and would encourage better quality of game.

Okay I'm usually one who tries to be a cooler head when this issue is broached (at least 2-3 times a month seemingly) but when you decide to belittle the top players as a bunch of peeps who's skills you apparently feel are'nt on par with yours and just have alot of free time on their (our?) hands,then my response is going to be a little more pointed than I tend to take on this subject.

This league is FREE. Free for you,free for me and free for everyone. It's part of a school,forum,training center,etc.,that Pokerstars is hoping will create more lifetime players for their site,and maybe even a future star or two. Who are you,or anyone else, to say that someone who may be playing 75,100,150,Hell EVERY frigging PSO a month because they possible have decided to try and make this their calling/vocation,that they should be somehow penalized for this because you,or anyone else,can't or won't, make the same commitment?

This League is a great bankroll building/starting oppurtunity for newer players. They can also learn to improve their game here,and YES for those that scoff at this notion,they are very key things to be learned in PSO that can and WILL improve your game if you learn how,and when,to adopt these lessons.

As far as they competitive aspects of the scoring system and the unfairness that you seem to believe to be inherent within,looking at your results for the first 3 months you've been here I wonder,and have to ask................

Are you even AWARE that there are scoring throttles,or "chokes",that kick in starting at 1660 points a month,and that get more and more penal as you climb in points for the month? Because you have NEVER,not once,played a game under even the easiest level of these. And when you reach the top levels here,1870 points and above,you go into every PSO knowing 3 things:
1. You'll need to make the top 22.5% of the field to just not LOSE any points.
2. If you do manage to cash you'll recieve a big 11-12 points for your effort,or 1/3,even less than YOU recieve everytime you cash.
3. Go out in the first 50% of the field or worse and you will lose 20+ points.

And just to be clear,you're currently averaging 5.6 points per game and have'nt had to play ANY of those games under the penalties inherent under the scoring throttles. Why don't you discern some of the top players points per game averages and see how many of them that you're averaging more points per game than? Then keep in mind that they (we),are playing many of our games under these throttles. For example I myself have played 34 games and have scored 350.62 points,an average of 10.31 points per game.And 23 of my 34 games (68%) HAVE been contested under the throttles.

My suggestion is that you and every other player who thinks that achievement in this League equals volume only,and not skill,goes out and gets your game to the point when you can reach these levels where the throttles kick in,play under them,stay there,and increase your score under these restrictions.

Then come tell all of us who have done it,over and over again,about the lack of skill of those who frequent the top of the Leaderboard almost every month.

We'll be waiting.

And welcome aboard. Good luck to you.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 02:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Careful sb_rez, you've awakened the Moxie Textbeast.

I actually kinda like the league the way it is. I don't think we'd have a community of participating regulars if all you had to do was play 10 games to really qualify. Of course, I'm technically not a participating regular, since I don't do the Skill League anymore... But it is a nice opportunity to win free money for those who do participate. And for $1500, there's really not a lot wrong with putting in a good 100 hours, I think. ($1500/100 hours = $15 per hour; not bad for playing a game)

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 03:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
I don't understand why you are so worry′.

I do not propose to replace the existing system.

I propose to do an additional rating, which would not require anything other than a few hours of programmers ' work.
Someone then will play a lot and have a high overall rating, Someone will play more ably/luckily and will have high second rating.

I didn't even suggest that the PSO that is either paid for an additional rating, although with their budget on advertising, PS can ease spend several thousands in prize pool for this rating
I just wonder would follow such a rating.
And I most likely will not take a high place in any ranking, but I would still have been interesting.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 03:42 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Careful sb_rez, you've awakened the Moxie Textbeast.

I actually kinda like the league the way it is. I don't think we'd have a community of participating regulars if all you had to do was play 10 games to really qualify. Of course, I'm technically not a participating regular, since I don't do the Skill League anymore... But it is a nice opportunity to win free money for those who do participate. And for $1500, there's really not a lot wrong with putting in a good 100 hours, I think. ($1500/100 hours = $15 per hour; not bad for playing a game)

LOL at Moxie Textbeast. Not sure if that's a dig or a backhanded compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_rez View Post
I don't understand why you are so worry′.

I do not propose to replace the existing system.

I propose to do an additional rating, which would not require anything other than a few hours of programmers ' work.
Someone then will play a lot and have a high overall rating, Someone will play more ably/luckily and will have high second rating.

I didn't even suggest that the PSO that is either paid for an additional rating, although with their budget on advertising, PS can ease spend several thousands in prize pool for this rating
I just wonder would follow such a rating.
And I most likely will not take a high place in any ranking, but I would still have been interesting.
Not worried brah. PSO ain't gonna do something so stupid,from a business model standpoint,as to encourage people to play LESS,so this is essentially a rhetorical exercise anyway.

But myself,and others here,do get a little tired of newer players coming in and throwing it out there that volume counts for almost everything in this League and skill almost nothing. And yes,some of the "skills" we use in PSO will flat out get you nuked in cash MTT/SNG plays. Some lessons learned here are worthwhile though. If you can figure out the difference then you probably are going to have at least a fighting chance at having some level of success here on Stars. Look the top players month in and month out up on some of the tracking/rating sites. I think that you'll find many of them are bringing it elsewhere and not just in the League.

Coincidence?

By the way the gains you've made this month suggest to me that you may be selling yourself short if you don't think that you can make this something worthwhile for yourself.

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 03:50 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
LOL at Moxie Textbeast. Not sure if that's a dig or a backhanded compliment.
Fronthanded insult maybe?

No disrespect intended by it; I just find it funny how I consider myself pretty longwinded (I'm the kind that occasionally takes half an hour to send an email), but you belt these out pretty easily.

And for skilled players winning the skill league. I wonder how many front-pagers are secretly black cards at Full Tilt?

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 03:56 AM
(#7)
Well if one actually can pull off the "Chase Berger" from the Micros video and be a Black Card playing mini-micro 6 Top NLHE maybe one day......................

Old
Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Okay I'm usually one who tries to be a cooler head when this issue is broached (at least 2-3 times a month seemingly) but when you decide to belittle the top players as a bunch of peeps who's skills you apparently feel are'nt on par with yours and just have alot of free time on their (our?) hands,then my response is going to be a little more pointed than I tend to take on this subject.

This league is FREE. Free for you,free for me and free for everyone. It's part of a school,forum,training center,etc.,that Pokerstars is hoping will create more lifetime players for their site,and maybe even a future star or two. Who are you,or anyone else, to say that someone who may be playing 75,100,150,Hell EVERY frigging PSO a month because they possible have decided to try and make this their calling/vocation,that they should be somehow penalized for this because you,or anyone else,can't or won't, make the same commitment?

This League is a great bankroll building/starting oppurtunity for newer players. They can also learn to improve their game here,and YES for those that scoff at this notion,they are very key things to be learned in PSO that can and WILL improve your game if you learn how,and when,to adopt these lessons.

As far as they competitive aspects of the scoring system and the unfairness that you seem to believe to be inherent within,looking at your results for the first 3 months you've been here I wonder,and have to ask................

Are you even AWARE that there are scoring throttles,or "chokes",that kick in starting at 1660 points a month,and that get more and more penal as you climb in points for the month? Because you have NEVER,not once,played a game under even the easiest level of these. And when you reach the top levels here,1870 points and above,you go into every PSO knowing 3 things:
1. You'll need to make the top 22.5% of the field to just not LOSE any points.
2. If you do manage to cash you'll recieve a big 11-12 points for your effort,or 1/3,even less than YOU recieve everytime you cash.
3. Go out in the first 50% of the field or worse and you will lose 20+ points.

And just to be clear,you're currently averaging 5.6 points per game and have'nt had to play ANY of those games under the penalties inherent under the scoring throttles. Why don't you discern some of the top players points per game averages and see how many of them that you're averaging more points per game than? Then keep in mind that they (we),are playing many of our games under these throttles. For example I myself have played 34 games and have scored 350.62 points,an average of 10.31 points per game.And 23 of my 34 games (68%) HAVE been contested under the throttles.

My suggestion is that you and every other player who thinks that achievement in this League equals volume only,and not skill,goes out and gets your game to the point when you can reach these levels where the throttles kick in,play under them,stay there,and increase your score under these restrictions.

Then come tell all of us who have done it,over and over again,about the lack of skill of those who frequent the top of the Leaderboard almost every month.

We'll be waiting.

And welcome aboard. Good luck to you.
And this is from a player who has one of the highest per game averages. He is in the top 40 w/ only like 34 or 35 played. Mox knows.
Welcome to the league sb. As Moxie said, this has been covered a lot. When you see how vulnerable your rank is when you have a high score, you begin to see that the players who can play a ton of games, still have to do well in order to stay where they are.
Take your time and the system will be more appreciated as you go. It is afterall, free, and a great way to start building a bankroll, and by far, the best way to make new friends in online poker. (If that is any interest to you...for some it's not and that's ok)
Nice to meet ya' and we'll see ya' at the tables.
Best o' luck!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com