Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Value bet?

Old
Value bet? - Thu Mar 24, 2011, 03:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($2)
SB ($1.94)
BB ($5.92)
UTG ($5.95)
MP1 ($3.01)
Hero (MP2) ($1)
CO ($2.13)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7, 7
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.02, 3 folds, BB checks

Flop: ($0.07) 7, 10, 8 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.05, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.17) J (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.17) A (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $0.17 | Rake: $0

The player who calls my bet on the flop is loose/passive preflop, limping a huge range, playing almost every hand. This guy didn't seem like the type of player who would be checking a straight or flush, in previous hands with very strong holdings post flop he had bet very aggressively. I did feel my set was best once he checks the turn and river, but I wasn't sure if it was worth value betting because I don't know if he would call with 1 pair or 2 pair hands on this board. Should I value bet in this spot?

Last edited by PaidInFull6; Thu Mar 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 12:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Unless you had a read that he was a "trappy" kind of player and would check with intentions to raise on turn/river I would have probably put out a pot size bet on river with hopes that he had hit some kind of two pair on the river when that ace binked.

However, I think a check to showdown is okay here to. Betting for value in this spot is very tricky because there is not a lot that you beat that will call you. So either way, I think you are okay here. Just unfortunate board for your set. But that's just my opinion lol ... I am no pro.

Old
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 02:49 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
gotta make a bet on the river

Old
Sat Mar 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
(#4)
I felt like such a nit checking the river but the board was so dangerous I didn't want to bet. Think value bet the river with intention to fold to a reraise would be correct here, will keep it in mind for future reference.

Would still like some more opinions if you have one feel free to share.

Last edited by PaidInFull6; Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 01:40 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com