Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

J,J- could I have played this better or did I just get donked twice in one hand?

Old
J,J- could I have played this better or did I just get donked twice in one hand? - Thu Mar 24, 2011, 07:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
OK, I'll be the first to say I don't play perfect poker and have room for improvement. Should I have come harder with J,J or is a bad player going to call anyways?

Old
Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Obviously both these players seem so determined to punt their stacks I'd think they're calling no matter what you do.

As a general rule on level 1 of a normal structure tournament I'm usually not raising JJ, I'm usually looking to take a more pot control line with it and keep the pot small, so I would likely limp in behind the 2 limpers and see what happens. Don't get me wrong, raising is fine, and I realize taking a more conservative route will mean I will not win the hand as often, but I'm not trying to win every single hand I play, just trying to make good decisions that balance both stack protection and chip accumulation considerations.

As played, not sure I'm a big fan of the shove on the turn, you've already been called once and the only flopped draw just got there, it seems like it might be hard to get called by worse at this point (obviously incorrect in the case of this hand, as they called it off with just ace high and a gut shot). But in general I would review the turn bet, is it for vlaue or a bluff? Clearly not a bluff as no better hands are folding, but is it for value (will worse hands call?). In this case obviously yes, and if you knew that then it's a value bet, but in general it seems like you won't often get called by worse on this board with this action sequence.

Dave

Old
Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I have been betting my high pairs strong for the past week because I felt I was keeping to many people in the hand that would draw out on me if I let them hang around to long. Obviously it didn't work here, lol. Thanks for the advice.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com