Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

manners

Old
manners - Fri Mar 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I've been considering posting this for awhile now, but the last few days the overall manners on the PSO games seems to be slipping. Yesterday I was watching a few other tables as I played. There was a really nice play by one of our better members, so I quite naturally remarked nh. Another of our less mannerly folks, whom I shall not name, proceeded to go off on me, evidently for actually complimenting someone for a nice hand. This kind of action is un-called for. Everyone loses hands, but that is NO reason to procede to spout insults and vile statements at anyone. Have good manners become obsolete? Maybe it's my southern upbringing, but we were always taught to be polite, even when the person may not deserve it. Why lower ourselves to the level of 2 year-olds, just because the cards do not go our way sometimes. It is gonna happen, that' why it is called gambling. Besides which, actions like this can only increase the bad karma we accumilate. Well, thanks to PSO for all they do to help us, and especially thanks to those who try to help others improve, conduct themselves as human beings, and make this league fun for all. Good luck to everyone the rest of the month, and onward, and , as always, have a good one!! Lasthippie

Old
Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Sadly in real life there are a lot of people with poor manners. There are even more who endeavor to use good manners, but would devolve to the poorest of manners if they felt like they could get away with it. The anonymity of the interwebz provides them the forum... so many tough guys and mouthy jerks hiding behind their keyboards.

Always hate to hear about this in the skill league, but honestly it's not a skill league issue exclusively, this type of behavior occurs at all online rooms at all game types, freeroll and real money games. No, it's not right, no it's not ok, and yes it's probably bad karmically, but it happens. The best you can do is report it to pokerstars, let them issue chat bans to the children who can't control their mouths. And just ignore it beyond that. Not much more you can really do, and the vast majority of people who need to read the message in your post will never even see it as they don't bother with self-improvment.

GL at the tables hippie!

Dave

Old
thanks - Fri Mar 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Sadly in real life there are a lot of people with poor manners. There are even more who endeavor to use good manners, but would devolve to the poorest of manners if they felt like they could get away with it. The anonymity of the interwebz provides them the forum... so many tough guys and mouthy jerks hiding behind their keyboards.

Always hate to hear about this in the skill league, but honestly it's not a skill league issue exclusively, this type of behavior occurs at all online rooms at all game types, freeroll and real money games. No, it's not right, no it's not ok, and yes it's probably bad karmically, but it happens. The best you can do is report it to pokerstars, let them issue chat bans to the children who can't control their mouths. And just ignore it beyond that. Not much more you can really do, and the vast majority of people who need to read the message in your post will never even see it as they don't bother with self-improvment.

GL at the tables hippie!

Dave
Sadly, you are correct. I was hoping in some small way to convence folks that we can conduct ourselves better, can show respect to the game and to others by behaving in a civil manner. I try not to let it bother me, as it is not my style to rant and rave if someone bests me at the tables. Bad beats and losses happen, but I prefer to still behave in some ways as a adult and take my losses in stride. Sometimes I neglect to tell those who beat me nh, but you can be sure I never speak ill of them. Thanks Langolier for all you do here and the wisdom that you willing share with those who are willing to learn. Thanks also to all the many others who try to improve both your game and this community of diverse personalities. Good luck all and have a good one!! Lasthippie

Old
manners - Sun Mar 27, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hippie, like you my southern upbringing dictates that I treat others kindly; but also my personality is such that I try never to be rude to others. I have also witnessed the bad beats and have had them myself but always try to be respectful. I also say nh and chat with those at the table that like to chat; however I was told I was trying to "charm" my way. Now to this players credit he/she did ask where I was from and when I said Texas said "that explains it". LOL.

I am new to PSO and have been fortunate to have great mentors here on the site (thank you, thank you, thank you) and others at the tables giving me advice to help improve my play; however I play my cards, thus the results are not from trying to "charm". My understanding is that the intent of the site is so we can grow as players, not be berated for our "bad play". I appreciate others that are willing to give u advice and thus utilizing the site as intended. As I have posted before; help the new players, it is what keeps us trying!

Best of luck hippie; hope to see you at the tables!

p.s. If you ever see me being disresptful let me know, my mom would kill me!! :-)

Last edited by Brayleegirl; Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 01:41 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com