Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Home Games /

Cowboy''s Corral April League proposal

Old
Cowboy''s Corral April League proposal - Sat Mar 26, 2011, 01:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Corral League Rules April 2011

1. All participants must send $10 to 19honu62 prior to 48 hrs before the 1st scheduled game. Any monies won in previous month will be distributed as soon in the new month as possible.
2. No entrants accepted after this time until the start of the next month
3. The total funds collected will be held for a three week period at which time the winners will be staked.
4. The league will run from Mon Apr 4th - Wed Apr 20 and consist of 12 games of NLHE
5. buy in for each of the 12 games will be $1.10 paid to pokerstars through registration on site.
6. Format of the games will be 1500 starting chips, 10 minute levels and a break at 55 minutes past the hour
7. The winners of the stakes will be paid to the top 10 finishers in the 3 weeks with a minimum of 8 games played of the 12
8. The avg of all games played will be used calculated using the square root formula
9. All games will be used for average
10.The stakes will be paid out as follows

1st - $55,$33
2nd - $33,$22
3rd - $22,$22
4th - $22,$11
5th - $11,$11
6TH - $11
7TH - $11
8th - $11
9th - $11
10th - $11

$3 left over will be added to game 12 twelve prize pool.

11. The stakes must be played during Apr 21 - Apr 30 and the games must be posted prior to the start of the game and not once late reg has started in a thread as follows created by 19honu62

stake name - 19honu62/Corral League
tourney id / date / time / buy in

12. The stakes will be limited to mtt or sng play only for the amount staked and must be NLHE. NO CASH ALLOWED!
13. The staked games will be regular with no rebuys, DON's, satty's or fifty fifties
14. The stake must commense during the current month but can run into the next day for a late start and the results must be posted within 24 hrs of completion. Edit thread when done the game.
15. No substitution is accepted the horse must play their stakes as posted above in rule 10
16. If for whatever reason the horse cannot play the stake the next qualified member in line will get the stake
17. If you do not play your stakes in the week all money will be shipped back to the group and you will forfeit your spot for the following month
18. The horse will keep 50% of their prize won.
19. All members share equally in any winnings shipped back to the group unless they are under review

1. Mon Apr 4th 20:00
2. Wed Apr 6th 22:00
3. Fri Apr 8th 22:00
4. Sat Apr 9th 20:00
5. Sun Apr 10th 20:00
6. Mon Apr 11th 20:00
7. Wed Apr 13th 20:00
8. Fri Apr 15th 22:00
9. Sat Apr 16th 20:00
10. Sun Apr 17th 20:00
11. Mon Apr 18th 22:00
12. Wed Apr 20th 20:00

all times are EST

Gidee Up!

Last edited by 19honu62; Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old
Sat Mar 26, 2011, 01:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
shipped for April.

Old
Sat Mar 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
Corral League Rules April 2011

7. The winners of the stakes will be paid to the top 12 finishers in the 3 weeks with a minimum of 8 games played of the 16
8. The avg of the 6 games will be used calculated using the square root formula

Dawn

Old
april stakes league - Sat Mar 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
april money has been sent

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewski68 View Post

Dawn

Hey Cowboy - I think you know I love playing in the corral and truth be told I participate in this league because it is such a great group of players and the competition is very tough.
I look at it as an awesome way for me to get experience and to compete against this group (for a buck a tourny) is a ridiculous value. So I am happy to play and keep quiet. BUT...(of course)

I got your PM on the changes you'd like to try and I was wondering if you could explain your thought process a bit. Just my two cents but won't adding games and increasing the minimum number to qualify hurt participation not help it.

Just thinking out loud but if I am doing well after 8 games why play again? Could this lead to smaller fields and possibly some of the top players sitting out the last 5 or 6 games, which you could argue reduces the strength of the field for those last week's games?

Personally, I want each game to be as tough and as large as possible. As an example of what I'm saying what if you went the other way and scheduled only 10 games - minimum to qualify is still 6 and your best 6 count. If you were serious about competing for the stakes you would be in as many events as possible.

Also aren't there a significant number of club members that didn't even play 6 games - will they have a tougher time getting to 8?

I just wanted to put my thoughts out there because I think this is such a good idea and I only want whats best for the group. If I'm way off base here please let me know - according to my wife this happens all the time.

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
(#6)
yes sir you are quite correct in many aspects but anything we do will not be perfect right. I am thinking we are going make several changes b4 we get this right so we are gonna try diff things thats all.

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Shipped for April.

Cowboy, could you resend the PM from yesterday, please? My box was full...

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
i am paid THIS time.. LOL

i can hardly wait for April to start!

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
yes sir you are quite correct in many aspects but anything we do will not be perfect right. I am thinking we are going make several changes b4 we get this right so we are gonna try diff things thats all.
Sounds good looking forward to a new month and we'll see how it goes. Thanks Cowboy

Old
Unhappy
Meow,, - Sun Mar 27, 2011, 07:10 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddysw View Post
Hey Cowboy - I think you know I love playing in the corral and truth be told I participate in this league because it is such a great group of players and the competition is very tough.
I look at it as an awesome way for me to get experience and to compete against this group (for a buck a tourny) is a ridiculous value. So I am happy to play and keep quiet. BUT...(of course)

I got your PM on the changes you'd like to try and I was wondering if you could explain your thought process a bit. Just my two cents but won't adding games and increasing the minimum number to qualify hurt participation not help it.

Just thinking out loud but if I am doing well after 8 games why play again? Could this lead to smaller fields and possibly some of the top players sitting out the last 5 or 6 games, which you could argue reduces the strength of the field for those last week's games?

Personally, I want each game to be as tough and as large as possible. As an example of what I'm saying what if you went the other way and scheduled only 10 games - minimum to qualify is still 6 and your best 6 count. If you were serious about competing for the stakes you would be in as many events as possible.

Also aren't there a significant number of club members that didn't even play 6 games - will they have a tougher time getting to 8?

I just wanted to put my thoughts out there because I think this is such a good idea and I only want whats best for the group. If I'm way off base here please let me know - according to my wife this happens all the time.
My thought ,,,
adding to this,,,,is several players finishing low in their first few starts due to bad variance, will be at a significant disadvantage to keep playing with all games being calculated,,,,, however the best 6 ,,,, still gives you hope,,,, even if you have a poor finish in the first few games,,,,,,,, while the winners who are up high,,,, still have incentive to play knowing they can only improve,,,,, without hindering themselves....by playing more,,,,,

So I think Freddy has a good point,,,, and ....
I think having only a set amount of games counted,,,,out of 16 ,,,,,leaves enough incentive for all to continue playing regardless of where they are on the ladder,,,,,

2 many games and then its like pso,,,,playing for min cash... longevity? and not make correct plays for fear of being knocked out too soon? some will give up.... like me,,,, if I have a couple of bad games,,,, cus I dont have the time to play 16 games to average out my score,,,,,, thats why I dont play the pso anymore for lack of time,,,,,,,... but with 6 best ,,,,,one could still see the light at the end of the tunnel,,,,, and try that one more game,,,,,,,,,, to better their score,,,,

I believe you got it right the first time!!
Sometimes if it aint broke,,,,dont fix it,,,,
and maybe Im thinkin 2 much like Freddy,,,, need beer to numb brain again,,,, now that tournies are done for me today,,,,

Good luck in April!

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#11)
Since: May 2010
I think you can drop 3 of your worst scores, but you must play at least in 10 of 16 games.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
I really liked the origional way it was set up but however it is decided that the scores will be calculated is fine.
Like Siber, I would like to see the bottom couple scores dropped once a set number of entries is reached as I DO think this is incentive to play and erase those scores to move up on the leaderboard.
I don't see that increasing the minimum qualifiying number to be a problem as far as reducing the fields late in the month.
The way the scoring is set up, any win at any time in the month, including the last game, can change the standings. Even a top 3 in the last couple games can make a difference between making and not making the stake list.
I was fairly solidly in 2nd place last month and chose to play the last 2 games for a number of reasons.
1. To try and win another tournament and possibly move up to the top spot.
2. To protect my position by providing a strong challenge to others trying to move up the leaderboard.
3. For the strength of field play that is not really available at the 1.10 buy in level too many places on PS.

Given my druthers if we are going to change it, I would opt for 16 game schedule, 10 scores to qualify and that count towards standings.

I already shipped for April so I think it is pretty clear that I am in whatever is decided and will work to make the necessary adjustments to make another strong run, at least within the league.
One of these months it is bound to pay off with a deep stake run.
Good luck to everyone in April.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
I'm shipping money now for April. Hope the schedual fits my time frame.
May work better for me. We'll see. I'm in.

Tony

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
(#14)
I'm in again, shipped

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
(#15)
Any other thoughts before we set this in stone. Most appear to be okay with my suggestions so we can this for a couple months and go from there. For those of you responding thank you.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Looking forward to April and we'll see how it goes- money shipped and good luck everyone.

Old
randam thoughts from a demented mind. - Tue Mar 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#17)
Astro705
(Odelay)
so .... has this been settled - average of all games?

I do like the idea of being able to drop a couple of lower scores.

Rather than increase the number of games played and required to qualify - I would think it would be better to have fewer games available and higher number to qualify - 10 games and 8 to qualify - average of all played - thus eliminating the need to manage the system.
The goal would be to have full fields competing. - with 16/8 it would make sense to watch the sign up sheet, and based on who is in the game either play or not play.
While I do not think there would be significantly stronger and weaker fields from game to game - it would be possible to avoid players and massage the system.

Another issue is in the last few games - players that will not be able to meet qualifying level of games played should not be playing. What I mean is if it takes eight to qualify, two games left and a member has only played five games - there is no way they will qualify for the month - they should not be playing in the final two games.

Also for consideration - what about a flatter payout schedule? - spreading the overall prizes across the same number of "winners" and or changing buy in levels -
Example instead of 55 33 33 maybe 33 22 11 11 11 shifting the other 33 down and so on - which might lead to the lower places getting stacked for 4 or 5 - 4.40 180sngs. - Those tourneys pay out quite nicely and by increasing the games played and level played at we could reduce variance? - improve win rate

Last edited by Astro705; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Just shipped my April entry and thought I'd make a couple of comments.

First, I think Cowboy's doing a great job. This is a work in progress. That said, I like the idea of being able to drop a low score or three....

I'd like to see more members, and have yet to see any that I object to. More members, more competition, more money. It's almost unnecessary for Cowboy to run names by us.

I think extra points and higher profits should be awarded to players whose names rhyme with "moo" (as in mooooooooooooooolah).

--
JoBaloo(lah)

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 10:50 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
1) I like siber's idea of dropping the 2 or 3 lowest scores.
2) I can live with whatever way is decided.
3) No matter which way is decided EVERYONE will make decisions of whether to play or not as the end of the month approaches based on how a bad finish will affect them.
4) Of course we will tweek the points system, NASCAR changes it rules every year, and Jimmy Johnson still wins. Goes to prove that champions win.

Good luck to everyone, ... as long as it is not at my expense.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 10:52 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Money sent

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com