trimmed and down 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old
Pso spring grillin' - Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
OK 1ST UP IS A QUESTION OF PREFERENCE
SHOULD YOU GRILL FAT UP OR DOWN?

I like to grill fat up. It lets the juices get into the meat for flavor and tenderness

I also like to use local wood and never store bought

Right now I'm using oak, hickory and beach

Lets have some thoughts on this and other things such as rubs and methods of grillin' and smokin'

Old
Well Now!!! - Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Well Fat up of course Sir! It is spring time , Time to grill. POKER BEER and the GRILL.

Happy Days for sure are here upon us. I shall return with good Ideas for Poker snacks for ya alls home games. Well Live ones anyways. If you play on the home games on the PSO you can eat them all for your self now lucky you lol.

Last edited by BUDA505; Sat Mar 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:42 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
trimmed fat up layered in onions n garlic permulate thru. jes a suggestion. use hickory or mesquite fer beef, / stab n stuff w/ onions n garlic ets till happy

Old
mmmmm - Sun Mar 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
OK 1ST UP IS A QUESTION OF PREFERENCE
SHOULD YOU GRILL FAT UP OR DOWN?

I like to grill fat up. It lets the juices get into the meat for flavor and tenderness

I also like to use local wood and never store bought

Right now I'm using oak, hickory and beach

Lets have some thoughts on this and other things such as rubs and methods of grillin' and smokin'

Ever try adding a small amount of apple wood to the mix? Seems to add a subtle flavor to the meat, just do not overdo it. I agree with the fat up, grilled slow till you can pull the meat with your fingers. Darn it, its too cold and rainy here to pull out the grill. Just the thought brought on mega-munchies!! Have a good one Lasthippie

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasthippie12 View Post
Ever try adding a small amount of apple wood to the mix? Seems to add a subtle flavor to the meat, just do not overdo it. I agree with the fat up, grilled slow till you can pull the meat with your fingers. Darn it, its too cold and rainy here to pull out the grill. Just the thought brought on mega-munchies!! Have a good one Lasthippie

unfortunately apple trees don't fall much here
not only do i not buy wood but i also find trees that were downed for construction
apple along with some other woods are in my "to get" list

and yes this thread will give you the munchies

Old
apple trees - Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
unfortunately apple trees don't fall much here
not only do i not buy wood but i also find trees that were downed for construction
apple along with some other woods are in my "to get" list

and yes this thread will give you the munchies

Wish I could send you some apple wood. I'm lucky enough to have 2 old apple trees (almost as old as I am) which came up from apple cores thrown out by my brother and myself behind our basketball goal. Yes, I know that apple trees from apple cores should not have apples, but no one told the trees that, so they have broken theirselves down at least 5 times in my memory. A neighbor uses some of the new growth to feed to her rabbits, and I use some of the larger pieces to feed the grill and then the grill feeds me. Nice how the circle of life works. A nice pork shoulder on the grill, hickory , oak , and and apple chips for the coals, a nice vinegar based sauce for dipping, (in North Carolina, no tomato in the sauce here) some hush puppies, some liquid refreshment, and I'm as close to nirvena as I'm likely to ever get. I really like your idea of not destroying healthy trees, the woods around here provide plenty of fallen wood and pruning opportunities. Best thing, getting the wood and splitting it into small chips works up a heck of a appetite. Have a good one everyone !! Lasthippie

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
You will get more tender meat if you do cook it with the fat side up. The fat does not actually permeate the meat, but it does flow over the meat and when it is heated it will act as a barrier preventing moisture from escaping from the surface of the meat.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Wish I could send you some apple wood. I'm lucky enough to have 2 old apple trees (almost as old as I am) which came up from apple cores thrown out by my brother and myself behind our basketball goal. Yes, I know that apple trees from apple cores should not have apples, but no one told the trees that, so they have broken theirselves down at least 5 times in my memory. A neighbor uses some of the new growth to feed to her rabbits, and I use some of the larger pieces to feed the grill and then the grill feeds me. Nice how the circle of life works. A nice pork shoulder on the grill, hickory , oak , and and apple chips for the coals, a nice vinegar based sauce for dipping, (in North Carolina, no tomato in the sauce here) some hush puppies, some liquid refreshment, and I'm as close to nirvena as I'm likely to ever get. I really like your idea of not destroying healthy trees, the woods around here provide plenty of fallen wood and pruning opportunities. Best thing, getting the wood and splitting it into small chips works up a heck of a appetite. Have a good one everyone !! Lasthippie
in the original grillin thread i stated how i like my bar-b-que all ways
dry rubs, mopped on sauces, tomato based and vinegar based sauces for dipping
it's all good to me

do you make your own vinegar sauce?
if so i wouldn't mind if you pm'd me some tips on making my own if you could please

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:49 PM
(#9)
Quote:
it's all good to me

if so i wouldn't mind if you pm'd me some tips on making my own if you could please

The Best Dipping Sauces Are The Ones You Make Up Yourself, Dont Follow Recipes,Just Add Ingredients You Like, And Experiment With The Flavours. Mmmmmmm

Old
try this - Mon Mar 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
it's all good to me

You might want to try this one:
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tb sugar
1 tb crushed red pepper flakes
1 tb tabasco sauce
fresh cracked black pepper and salt to taste
I usually add 1 beer to this but works either way

Best thing is, if the Greek Gods had had BBQ, they would not have had to make do with ambrosia. If anyone wants a great recipe for a Brunswick stew either PM me or post here and I'll post it or send it. Goes great with a BBQ feast.
Have a good one everyone and good grillin' Lasthippie

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 07:12 PM
(#11)
Quote:

Best thing is, if the Greek Gods had had BBQ, they would not have had to make do with ambrosia. If anyone wants a great recipe for a Brunswick stew either PM me or post here and I'll post it or send it. Goes great with a BBQ feast.
Have a good one everyone and good grillin' Lasthippie
go ahead and post away
this kind of feedback is what we are looking for in this thread

Where is Papa? We want some rub mixes also!!

and since you're from Carolina and us bar-b-q nuts all know whole hog is best when it comes to pork bar-b-q share some insight with us
when you're cooking only a little what type of cut do you use; shoulder or butt
i'm always on the fence when trying to decide between the two

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com