Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Bankroll management Help

Old
Bankroll management Help - Sun Mar 27, 2011, 03:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2009
Hey everyone

I have a BR of $115.00 and i have no idea on how to use proper bankroll management. I also would like some suggestions on what is a good way to earn with a low risk. I am mostly a MTT player but im open to suggestions and dont mind trying out a few Sng's or cash games. I have set limits on my account so the max i can buy into MTT's and Sng's is 1% ($1.15) and NL $0.01/$0.02 and Limit $0.02/$0.05. So my options are abit limited. I want to use bankroll management properly for a change instead of spending 4-5% on a buyin, All help is appreciated and thanks!

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
If you're into the sit and go, consider the double or nothings. You need only outlast five of the ten opponents. For the $1.11 games, you will get 0.61 vpps. I've noticed the payouts on these ranges from $1.50 to $3.00, depending on if you come in fifth or first, respectively.

I like the 5-cent / 10-cent limit game since more pots are over the rake limits. I found the lower ones can have as high as half the hands getting no rake, and no vpps. No limit games can get the points, but the lower the cost, the crazier some players act.

Check out the other threads in this forum section for more help from those more knowlegeable than the old hedgehog.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 01:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
It sounds like you have some good bankroll management rules. I have learned a few things the hard way this past year, having lost two or three small bankrolls of about $50. I played heads-up SNGs for a while, but was underrolled for them. I tried, but could not make money at limit or no limit hold'em and omaha hi/lo cash games. I have had the best success with satellite tournaments, such as the PSO Monthly $1K Added-Sats. You might be able to relax the BRM requirements for some of those to 2%, if you find you can cash in them, say 20% of the time on average. My bankroll is in a downswing from a peak of $78.26 to $71.03. In absolute terms this is a modest $7.23, but in percentage terms it is almost 10%. It is also not very many buy-ins at $1 or $2 per buy-in. I have tried the Fifty50 games, but not sure yet if I can make money at those.

Good luck!

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
If you're into the sit and go, consider the double or nothings. You need only outlast five of the ten opponents. For the $1.11 games, you will get 0.61 vpps. I've noticed the payouts on these ranges from $1.50 to $3.00, depending on if you come in fifth or first, respectively.

I like the 5-cent / 10-cent limit game since more pots are over the rake limits. I found the lower ones can have as high as half the hands getting no rake, and no vpps. No limit games can get the points, but the lower the cost, the crazier some players act.

Check out the other threads in this forum section for more help from those more knowlegeable than the old hedgehog.
Thanks for the help, you're definatly right about the $0.01/$0.02 Limit games with only a few pots high enough for a rake. I am still undecided on whether to play 6 max or a full table. Im not a strong cash game player so ill wait until my BR is a little higher before giving $0.5/$0.10 limit a try. Also the Double or nothing games is a good idea, i used to play the old ones but have not tried the new 50/50 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesse52 View Post
It sounds like you have some good bankroll management rules. I have learned a few things the hard way this past year, having lost two or three small bankrolls of about $50. I played heads-up SNGs for a while, but was underrolled for them. I tried, but could not make money at limit or no limit hold'em and omaha hi/lo cash games. I have had the best success with satellite tournaments, such as the PSO Monthly $1K Added-Sats. You might be able to relax the BRM requirements for some of those to 2%, if you find you can cash in them, say 20% of the time on average. My bankroll is in a downswing from a peak of $78.26 to $71.03. In absolute terms this is a modest $7.23, but in percentage terms it is almost 10%. It is also not very many buy-ins at $1 or $2 per buy-in. I have tried the Fifty50 games, but not sure yet if I can make money at those.

Good luck!
Thanks! ill keep that in mind! i used to play the $2.20 satilite MTT's to the sunday 250k for the T$ which i did show a profit in so i could give them a try. And you seem to know your statistics Good luck with your bankroll run! Also with the Fifty50 games do i try turbo or just normal structure?

A good poker friend of mine told me i should "continue to do what im good at" which is MTT's but unless you hit the final table they are a very slow power struggle in terms of increasing bankroll.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
Just one thing I might add.

Check out this site. Particularly the 2 tools listed in the small box below the chart about halfway down the page... bankroll calculator and the fergulator. 2 nice tools that help make bankroll management a little easier.
http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy...ll-management/
Hope it helps.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
I thought I would expound on the reasons why I am in the 5-cent / 10-cent limit game.

Your bankroll has me drooling. Mine is about a third of yours, and if not for the monthly prizes, would not exist. If you check out my material in this forum, you'll see how much I'm bleeding. Cannot decide if I bear my soul here because I'm trying to be informative, or am I enjoying the self flagulation.

You asked an excellent question regarding the full table versus 6-player one. At the level I am playing, the most important thing is seeing the pot exceed 20-cents so I can earn those all important vpps. This means at least four players need to go into the hand every time. Reason I say that is my experience has most players checking, or folding, to bets after the flop.

That should clue you in as to which table is better if you need vpps. At a full table of nine players, there is an excellent chance four players will go to the flop. Since the initial round is at the 5-cent level, four players means a rake. Though my experience is about two months, I have noted a full table will average 4 of 5, or 5 of 6 hands having a rake. The thing I find difficult is finding such tables. Seems there is always one dipwad sitting out, which means you are on a table for 9 with 7 or 8 active.

The advantage of a 6-player table is more hands. Strange as it sounds, I have noted these tables play at least half as many hands more than a 9-player table. So where you'll average 50 hands on a full table, the 6-player will average 80 hands. If the card gods are smiling, play these tables as you will make money. I avoid them since more than half the hands never exceed the minimum necessary for the rake, (20-cents), and I am yet to have a winning session that made more than 5-cents.

Speaking of bankroll, perhaps I should tell you I take $3.00 to a table when I play. I will stay until one of three things happens.

The first, and most common, is that I lose a dollar. In most cases, I'll play around 75 to 90 minutes on the table and will earn anywhere from 1 to 3 vpps. The second, and I wish it would happen, is that I go over the $4.00 mark. If I ever do that, I'll play with the excess, but will leave if I fall below $3.75 since I want to leave with a profit. The last limit is the clock. I'll not exceed two hours on a table as I find myself pushing marginal hands at that point.

Eventually, I am going to try playing two tables at one time. Okay, stop laughing at the old hedgehog. If I'm bleeding while using one table, does it make sense doubling the loss? I do think it could offer me chances at winning, but so far the card gods have declared hunting season on me.

Hope that explains my "philosophy of bankroll management." Let us know how you're doing and we can either commisserate, encourage, or celebrate your successes.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Just one thing I might add.

Check out this site. Particularly the 2 tools listed in the small box below the chart about halfway down the page... bankroll calculator and the fergulator. 2 nice tools that help make bankroll management a little easier.
http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy...ll-management/
Hope it helps.
Hey thanks for that! i found this site once before and downloaded the fergulator off it but forgot it for the bankroll calculater, dont think ill forget it now!

Quote:
I thought I would expound on the reasons why I am in the 5-cent / 10-cent limit game.

Your bankroll has me drooling. Mine is about a third of yours, and if not for the monthly prizes, would not exist. If you check out my material in this forum, you'll see how much I'm bleeding. Cannot decide if I bear my soul here because I'm trying to be informative, or am I enjoying the self flagulation.

You asked an excellent question regarding the full table versus 6-player one. At the level I am playing, the most important thing is seeing the pot exceed 20-cents so I can earn those all important vpps. This means at least four players need to go into the hand every time. Reason I say that is my experience has most players checking, or folding, to bets after the flop.

That should clue you in as to which table is better if you need vpps. At a full table of nine players, there is an excellent chance four players will go to the flop. Since the initial round is at the 5-cent level, four players means a rake. Though my experience is about two months, I have noted a full table will average 4 of 5, or 5 of 6 hands having a rake. The thing I find difficult is finding such tables. Seems there is always one dipwad sitting out, which means you are on a table for 9 with 7 or 8 active.

The advantage of a 6-player table is more hands. Strange as it sounds, I have noted these tables play at least half as many hands more than a 9-player table. So where you'll average 50 hands on a full table, the 6-player will average 80 hands. If the card gods are smiling, play these tables as you will make money. I avoid them since more than half the hands never exceed the minimum necessary for the rake, (20-cents), and I am yet to have a winning session that made more than 5-cents.

Speaking of bankroll, perhaps I should tell you I take $3.00 to a table when I play. I will stay until one of three things happens.

The first, and most common, is that I lose a dollar. In most cases, I'll play around 75 to 90 minutes on the table and will earn anywhere from 1 to 3 vpps. The second, and I wish it would happen, is that I go over the $4.00 mark. If I ever do that, I'll play with the excess, but will leave if I fall below $3.75 since I want to leave with a profit. The last limit is the clock. I'll not exceed two hours on a table as I find myself pushing marginal hands at that point.

Eventually, I am going to try playing two tables at one time. Okay, stop laughing at the old hedgehog. If I'm bleeding while using one table, does it make sense doubling the loss? I do think it could offer me chances at winning, but so far the card gods have declared hunting season on me.

Hope that explains my "philosophy of bankroll management." Let us know how you're doing and we can either commisserate, encourage, or celebrate your successes.
Dont worry, your not doing bad at all and i like the way you think in terms of rake and vpp as they can add up for rewards and thus a bigger bankroll thanks alot for explaining it in detail im sure this will help not only me but alot of low stakes players who read it aswell.

And my progress is okay so far, Like i said i have no clue what game i should be playing to maximise my wins so on Sunday i played a few Sng's i think i played 3 $0.55 45 man turbo sng's and 1 $0.25 45 man Sng i came 1st in one of the $0.55 for $7 but didnt cash in the other 3.
On monday i tried a Fifty50 but had no luck coming in at 6th and i didnt really enjoy it either so now i know they are not for me I had a bit of a brainstorm with the cash games and i figured the only way to get better at them is to play them lots, so for the first time ever i decided to multi table 10 $0.01/$0.02 NLHE tables! (thats alot for me) And it didnt make it easy that i am on a laptop with no mouse so had to use the touch pad! After that i tried a $0.55 MTT turbo with no luck and then went back to multi table 6 more $0.01/$0.02 NLHE tables before calling it a night.

My bankroll is at $122.54

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 08:13 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Bankroll goes up = great job.

Now I am curious to know how you did on those all-important vpps.

The one month I did play no limit, and at that level, I found you got more points folding. The best tables were those where two or more players were actively in a fight. They keep pushing the other in the hope of eliminating him and by folding, you earned those vpps.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 05:49 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Bankroll goes up = great job.

Now I am curious to know how you did on those all-important vpps.

The one month I did play no limit, and at that level, I found you got more points folding. The best tables were those where two or more players were actively in a fight. They keep pushing the other in the hope of eliminating him and by folding, you earned those vpps.
Urrrrmm to be honest i didnt keep track of how many vpp i earnt in them session, i dont think it was much, about 20 ish.
Also today i played the 16:00 WET $1.10 $5k garenteed tourney and just got KO in 26th for $14.44 cant believe the guy who knocked me out is still in, he has been up and down and up and down the entire tourney. He was calling all my all ins with any2 cards and he finally got me with J7 v my 5BB shove with A6 he flopped 2 pair and turned a full house. crazy player :P

Ahhh well

Bankroll is up to $135.88

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com