Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Frustration

Old
Exclamation
Frustration - Sun Mar 27, 2011, 05:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
Does anyone get frustrated when they see players who go ahead of them in the standings after constantly making bad plays and wrong moves? I am always in the "middle of the pack" and find myself fighting for my tournament life around the bubble. Am I doing something wrong or do even the best players find themselves in this situation, frustrated as well?

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Nope. I brush myself off, realize that their bad plays will eventually catch up with them, and then I head to the Hand Analysis forum to look at my own plays. It helps.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Old
Sun Mar 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Welcome to the club. I am always frustrated by either the cards I get or the flop. Whenever I get a good hand, it seems the river blesses those with trashy cards. If I find myself within forty of the bubble, my stake is usually close to what I had when the game started.

I know that is not a universal, but when you do have such a series, it does make you want to punch out that monitor.

Try ignoring the leaderboard standings of others and concentrate on your movement. I find having a target for each game helps. Try shooting to be in the top thirty percent. Do it on a consistant basis and you'll gain points every league game.

Old
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
WhiteStar
just so u know ..poker school is designed to get people to spend money on their site..if u look at the standings most of all the poeple in the top are active..it favors them ..all we can do is scratch our way to the top and hope we don't get donke'd out...lol...we'll keep trying though....hope u have fun ..good luck ..verry nice to meet .ya'll...peace ... lotty...

Last edited by LOTTYMOHAY; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
This is my first full month in the league. Usually when the tourney gets to about 300 people or so I scan the list of players and take notice of all the people with notes and where they are at different points in the game. I also will look up the league rankings of people who are at the table with me to give me some sort of idea of what I am up against. If they are raked in the 1400 or lower and previous months show similar results and they play allot of games I assume they will play like donkeys. If they are rated high then I give them more respect.

We all see these guys playing every hand bullying people around and when they do turn up their cards they have mediocre hands. It is only a matter of time before someone catches a hand and takes their chips.

What is more important is deep consistent finishes so you can get in the money at the end of the month. I have looked at many top performers and I haven't found anyone who has won an event but they all go deep into the tourney and rarely get donked out early.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome to the forum. One good peice of imformation is when you see these maniacs play like they do. Don't hesitate to put notes on them. NOTES are your best friend in case you run into them again later in the tournament or on a different day in the future. I have started taking notes this month and have been playing since July of last year. Notes really help. I am glad I saw the great players stress this peice of imformation.
To answer your question yes it can be frustrating playing your A game and watch maniacs and calling stations just keep chipping up, but like Panicky said it will catch them in the long run. I look them up and 90% of the time they are sitting around the 13,000 mark on the leader board. Just tell yourself they will bust later and you will still be there. '
Good luck and have fun at the same time
- Dry

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
When you say bad plays and moves are you talking about limping in with big hands and running the clock so they can only see 30 hands per hour? Or are you talking about them shoving hands like KJ and A6 suited when short? Or folding when a short stack pushes all in and they have 3 to 1 pot odds or better? Or calling with absolute trash when they have 3 to 1 pot odds or better? Or limp-folding for 1/5 of their 5 BB stack? Or open folding AA preflop?

Some of these are good plays, some are bad depending on who you talk to. It also depends what stage of the tournament you are in, your stack size, the stack sizes around the table, the players' tendencies, and what your month's score is.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 07:00 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Welcome to the asylum
I see you registered 3/26/11...nice of you to pick that date,,,it was my birthday
I also see you are doing really well in the games you played so far....w/ scores like that you will be a contender in the months to come.....get your 20 Vpps,,,,play well....you'll have a spectacular month of April.
Oh,,,don't worry about the donkeys,,,they won't hurt you too often. One technique I use is to mark them a certain color according to their standingsl
10,000 and below - aqua
10,000-5,000 - green
5,000-1,000 - blue
1,000-100 - yellow
100-50 - orange
50-10 - red
10-1 - magenta

It just helps me remember who to avoid, and as for the others I avoid them as well. Plus it passes some on the time.
Good Luck,,,hope you are around for a while >Dem

Old
Thanks Everyone - Wed Mar 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Hey Chris, I like to think that I am clawing my way to the top, I joined the league on the 26th of this month, just a few days ago and I am already in the top 400 or so. So be prepared everyone, I won't let others bad play get me down so beware! Thanks for all the replies guys, it was nice to read all the advice and opinions that I got to read and was well worth the question. Goodluck to you all and I can't wait to see you at the tables.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qu33n0fK1ngs View Post
I can't wait to see you at the tables.
lol,,,you already have
>Dem

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
When you say bad plays and moves are you talking about limping in with big hands and running the clock so they can only see 30 hands per hour? Or are you talking about them shoving hands like KJ and A6 suited when short? Or folding when a short stack pushes all in and they have 3 to 1 pot odds or better? Or calling with absolute trash when they have 3 to 1 pot odds or better? Or limp-folding for 1/5 of their 5 BB stack? Or open folding AA preflop?

Some of these are good plays, some are bad depending on who you talk to. It also depends what stage of the tournament you are in, your stack size, the stack sizes around the table, the players' tendencies, and what your month's score is.

No, I was actually talking about consistant raises preflop with A rag in early position and J 8 off and other poor cards or going all in with nothing. It just bothers me when I play my cards according to what i've learned from this site just to get donked out. Which doesn't happen to ME persay, I just see it happens to others. I am too competitive and too cautious to really allow it to happen to me. lol

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMONTIS7 View Post
lol,,,you already have
>Dem
I thought that picture looked familiar!

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMONTIS7 View Post
Welcome to the asylum
I see you registered 3/26/11...nice of you to pick that date,,,it was my birthday
I also see you are doing really well in the games you played so far....w/ scores like that you will be a contender in the months to come.....get your 20 Vpps,,,,play well....you'll have a spectacular month of April.
Oh,,,don't worry about the donkeys,,,they won't hurt you too often. One technique I use is to mark them a certain color according to their standingsl
10,000 and below - aqua
10,000-5,000 - green
5,000-1,000 - blue
1,000-100 - yellow
100-50 - orange
50-10 - red
10-1 - magenta

It just helps me remember who to avoid, and as for the others I avoid them as well. Plus it passes some on the time.
Good Luck,,,hope you are around for a while >Dem

Hey Dem, I am still pretty new to all this and I am going to take your advice but how do I look up certain players to find their rankings without going through the entire list? And also, happy b-lated birthday!

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:11 PM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
No, I was actually talking about consistant raises preflop with A rag in early position and J 8 off and other poor cards or going all in with nothing. It just bothers me when I play my cards according to what i've learned from this site just to get donked out. Which doesn't happen to ME persay, I just see it happens to others. I am too competitive and too cautious to really allow it to happen to me. lol
This is good preparation for the "real world" of real money poker.

The only thing you're doing wrong, is focusing energy on the ranking of others in terms of what you believe they deserve for a ranking. Much better to put that focus into things you can control, like your own decision making process in game and learning away from the tables to aid in such. Let the rankings take care of themselves. If the opponents are truly playing bad poker, their skill league ranking will never be anything of note in the long term, so nothing to worry about there.

Dave

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
(#15)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
how do I look up certain players to find their rankings without going through the entire list?
At the top of the leaderboard there's a search box where you can look them up individually.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 01:13 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Hey Dem, I am still pretty new to all this and I am going to take your advice but how do I look up certain players to find their rankings without going through the entire list? And also, happy b-lated birthday!
lol,,,thanks for the b-lated, To look at another players stats is pretty easy.
Your sitting at your table,,,killing time,,

1. pull up the leaderboard standings,,,

2. go back to your table and right click on the first player to your right

3. left click NOTE on the pull down menu,,,you'll see the big box in the lower left open so you can jot down some notes

4. Put your curson over the name,, right click,,,Copy name

5. Go to the leaderboard,,,,paste the name in the search box,,,click Search,,,Bingo

After i get their stats, I color code them for easy visual reference
The worst case senerio for me is to be at a table w/ all greens and aquas....lol donkland

>Dem

Last edited by DEMONTIS7; Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 01:20 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com