Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

May have to leave my comfort zone.

Old
May have to leave my comfort zone. - Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Up to now, I have been playing and building my meager bankroll and vpps through some ring table games and homegame tourneys. Nothing special, but fun and it's a pretty easy way to get the 20 vpps each month. That's all I've been looking for, for the most part. I just don't have the ability to do much multi-tabling, and as the little guy (son) grows, I have even less time each day to play...so I enjoy what I do and do what I can.
Well this weekend I've felt miserable and limited my play to just the Turbo Takedown as this is the only thing I really "indulge" myself in once a month. It is pretty much a no-no in "fpp br mgmt," but I do it.
Yesterday, while sniffling and coughing my way through, I was fortunate enough to cash in my second consecutive one (3 of 4 total ), finishing 2430, I think, for a cash of $105. If you're familiar with this tourney, you know that each consecutive cash receives a bonus of $100 for each consecutive cash, and it maxes out at 1000.
What I didn't know was that you have to clear 500 vpps for each $100 in bonus.

I am going to need advice on this one from some of you silver stars and above.

I have 60 days to clear it so I'm thinking I can get this done if I apply myself. As soon as it appears in the cashier/ bonus status, I will have to get to work. I am just not sure I have the time or knowledge to do this w/o risking too much. Any help appreciated gang.
Thanks again to the pso and all of you for bringing my game up, just a tad. ... a lot!

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Dan, as you know, I am not a silver star, but I have amassed almost 200 VPPs this month and most of that just in the last 10 days. With all the SCOOP satellites, those work well, plus play some of the sats to the new Storm and then play the Storm. Not only have my VPPs gone up, but also my bankroll. I have concentrated on the $1.88 NLHE and the $3.75 PLO/8 hypers and also on the $2.20 sats for the Storm. Then I actually played the Storm yesterday which gave me even more VPPS.

Hope this helps....

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 01:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
The biggest piece of advice I have is, don't press outside of your br to clear it. Do what it is you do, increase the volume if possible and certainly move up if/when br warrants it, but if you press simply for the purpose of clearing a bonus it often leads to more pressure, bad decisions, losing sessions. Does the bonus get awarded in increments? Grind as much of it out as you can but don't press.... half the bonus and a growing br is better than all the bonus but a declined br in the process.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Just a thought, but as you will be looking for something with low variance, the 50/50 sit and goes might be worth thinking about. As long as you are able to cash in over half of them, your bankroll would be pretty safe. Admittedly you would have to venture higher than the $1 affairs I have come to know and love. Others might be able to tell you how soft or otherwise the $5 or $10 games are, they might be worth considering as a fairly safe option for grinding the vpps.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 03:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I cleared close to 200 vpps last night by playing a 3 hour session of 5NL 6max 7 tables. Depending on your br, I would try to multi table some low buy in ring games in comparison to your bank roll. But yea, like Lang said, I wouldn't push my br to the limits just to clear a bonus either. I personally feel that playing ring games multi table brings in a ton of vpps.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
(#6)
Thanks everyone for your input.
Yeah Dave, I am definitely not going to play anything that I don't feel comfortable with. And tourneys just take too much of my limited time, so it looks like I'll be grinding it at the cash tables. I may be able to do some sng's at night, but that's about it in tourneys.
The promo doesn't say that it can be cleared in increments so I'm guessing it's all or nothing, but I will email support once more to make sure.
As far as the 50/50's mytton.. did ok with them in the first handful I've played..a lil' better than 1/2 itm, but I pretty much stopped as it just didn't seem a good way to make money for the time invested. But as solely a vpp earner, I may have to reevaluate them as a low risk tool with potential.

Thanks again and any more input is appreciated.

Now if I can get over this cold quick and off the medicine so I can get 'r done.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 08:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Dan,

I'm having trouble figuring out how you are able to play the 3,000 FPP tourney each month without bagging scads of VPPs in the process?

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
Hey Dan,

I'm having trouble figuring out how you are able to play the 3,000 FPP tourney each month without bagging scads of VPPs in the process?
I'm guessing through satellites.

Old
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 11:38 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
Hey Dan,

Ya Fish I won my seat two months ago through a 8fpp rebuy game.. This month I won it in a 75fpp Rebuy game using only one rebuy and a add on. I'm sure you can do it.

Thanks Dan for posting this.. I Also cashed two in a row. This one for $90. I did not know about this bonus and I do see it now in my pending bonuses. Something to aim for

Thanks and hopefully we can make it 3 in a row.

Good Luck
Drew300

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 04:22 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
SilverStar
Cash tables are the way to go, I got 700 fpp in the last 2 days trying for this stupid milestone promo. 12k hands in 2 days grinding the micros.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:11 AM
(#11)
Many thanks to all of you and omaha888 as well.. starting good..just a couple hours yesterday and a little this morning, attempting to hit milestone...already collected 27. So thank you!

Drew...I am also waiting to see if it is released in increments...I got an email, and you probably the same one...saying that we would have to earn 5 vpps for every pending dollar of bonus...so I'm guessing it can be partially earned. I just sent an email to support to clarify.
Congrats Drew!

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
If you go to the Cashier and click 'My Bonus Status', you will probably see the information. Probably. I'm not positive.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:56 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Dan...I usually play the 2/5 cent cash tables. Not a lot to risk and make VPPs quickly.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Ya Ace King, I think we have played before. Man I RACK vpps up playing like 7 tables of 5nl!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com