Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Question on amount to take at a table

Old
Question on amount to take at a table - Tue Mar 29, 2011, 04:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
i usually take the recommended max at the 2c/4c tables.

the past couple days ive been playing with the minimum since ive been on a downswing lately.

should i stay at the max no matter what?

also, ive noticed some players have their money on an automatic reload after every hand they play. what is the purpose of this?

is it so that they dont think about what theyve lost at each table and look at a days variance?
is this a good practice to do?
Is it just some kind of psychological "security"?

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 08:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
those players that auto reload do it so that when they stack off they can make the maximum profit.... better to get 5, 10 whatever all in then half of that when you have the "nuts" I like to have the full amount when I go to a table, dont like being shortstacked .... most of those auto reloaders are playing multiple tables at once so I doubt they really even notice.... just reload and go and at the end of the day check their wins/losses

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
automatic reload is kinda pointless on limit tables
on NL tables it insures u get max pay offs when you go all in
at 2c/4c it is limit only , typically I buy in for about $2 each table and play at least 10 tables at once
$4 would be 100 BB so $2 is 50 BB
I prefer not to reload on limit tables . You can easily see if a table is a problem table
If you are playing 10 tables at once and 2 of them are losing badly . say you buy in for $3 each table and two of them drop to $2 or $1.50 maybe it is because highly agressive players have got position on you and are causing you to lose more money than normal at those tables. Since you do not automatically reload it is easy to spot the problem tables and easy to just leave them.
The most common reason to lose money is when aggressive players have position on you.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
If you are good player and playing NL it is important to be playing with the maximum possible in chips in order maximize your potential winnings. If you are a loosing player and are only playing for fun or to learn then I think you are better off playing at table minimum, in order to minimize your potential looses.

If you are playing limit the size of you stack really doesn't matter much as long as you can cover the max betting for the table. as low as 25bb will cover all action at a limit table. preflop 4bb, flop 4bb, turn 8bb, river 8bb. Turn and river are twice the bb. The minimum you should have would be 4+4+8+8=24bb that will ensure if you have a monster and you can maximize its potential should the opportunity arise.

That said it's very very rare that you would ever get 24bb into a limit pot.

Last edited by EA2USN; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:17 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I thought after watching Nanonoko you were grinding out NL now Chris? But anyway, I like to play deep stack 200 bb. This would be $2 for 0.1/0.2 and $5 for 0.2/0.5 ect. I personally don't see the point for coming in with a 50 or 100bb stack when I could just drop to a lower limit and buy in for the full stack comfortably.

However, like Chris said, limit and no limit are two different ball games, but I play nl, and that is just what I am comfortable with. Different strokes for different folks, I am just saying what works for me.

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 01:12 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
I am strictly NL now
was just trying to answer his question is all
I am playing 2000 to 12000 hands per day am playing typically 12 to 14 tables at once
I have no life
other than poker
I have cracked $200 four times now
with a starting bank of $50
am now $200 plus

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXChris123 View Post
at 2c/4c it is limit only , typically I buy in for about $2 each table and play at least 10 tables at once
I prefer not to reload on limit tables . You can easily see if a table is a problem table
If you are playing 10 tables at once and 2 of them are losing badly . say you buy in for $3 each table and two of them drop to $2 or $1.50 maybe it is because highly agressive players have got position on you and are causing you to lose more money than normal at those tables. Since you do not automatically reload it is easy to spot the problem tables and easy to just leave them.
The most common reason to lose money is when aggressive players have position on you.
thank you this is very usefull info thanks man

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#8)
Quote:
I am strictly NL now
was just trying to answer his question is all
I am playing 2000 to 12000 hands per day am playing typically 12 to 14 tables at once
I have no life
other than poker
I have cracked $200 four times now
with a starting bank of $50
am now $200 plus
you started with 50$ and played .02/.04c until you hit 200$ or did you move up a level at some point? how many weeks did it take you to get to 200$ playing .02/.04c?

Old
Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:58 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
jeez guy open your eyes

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...oll-Experiment

its all there
point is bank is growing
the goal of any bank is to reach a point where one hand = one hours pay or = one days pay
at least for me it is
all it takes is time to slowly move up , as long as you move up eventually you reach a point where the returns are worth time invested

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:36 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
If you are playing 10 tables at once and 2 of them are losing badly
. say you buy in for $3 each table and two of them drop to $2 or $1.50 maybe it is because highly agressive players have got position on you and are causing you to lose more money than normal at those tables. Since you do not automatically reload it is easy to spot the problem tables and easy to just leave them. The most common reason to lose money is when aggressive players have position on you.
The 2c4c i play is no limit and i ususally start with $4 typically.

I have learned to not stay at tables too long. i used to stay basically til i lost it all. now i am learning to recognize bad tables alot quicker than i used to. Taking notes is helping too.

Playing aggressive players is what i need to work on. Reads, fire back or just leave... whatever its gonna take and recognizing which to do at the time.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Last edited by Magunga_Mike; Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 03:39 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:03 PM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
In my opinion I think this is one of those 'what ever feels comfortable for you' questions there is no set right amount to take to the table as it all depends on your playing stile and the table you are on.
As an example when playing 1c/2c NL I find that $2 (100BB) is enough to get the action I want and have seen a lot of tables as good as shut down as soon a player joins the action with $4-$5. A lot of players will avoid gettting involved with someone with twice their stack till they have had a chance to asses the playing stile. Its just a something to think ablout when joining a table with the max or chip count that is a lot higher than the table average.

Also as Magunga_Mike has said a big part of bank roll management is not only knowing how much to sit down with it's knowing when it's time to stand back up again. The amount of times I've won a few big pots doubled or even tripled my seating stack only to get sucked in to the thought of 'I will play down to' and then finaly losing most of my hard earnd profit before doing the right thing and leaving the table.
On a side note and I could be wrong but I have noticed that once a table reaches 2 or more big stacks (2+ times the max buy-in) the it seems activaly discurage new players from joining your table as for me anyway it is actualy possable to have too many chips on the table and be in too strong a possition to get any value.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 11:11 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbuddie99 View Post
In my opinion I think this is one of those 'what ever feels comfortable for you' questions there is no set right amount to take to the table as it all depends on your playing stile and the table you are on.

As an example when playing 1c/2c NL I find that $2 (100BB) is enough to get the action I want and have seen a lot of tables as good as shut down as soon a player joins the action with $4-$5. A lot of players will avoid gettting involved with someone with twice their stack till they have had a chance to asses the playing stile. Its just a something to think ablout when joining a table with the max or chip count that is a lot higher than the table average.

Also as Magunga_Mike has said a big part of bank roll management is not only knowing how much to sit down with it's knowing when it's time to stand back up again. The amount of times I've won a few big pots doubled or even tripled my seating stack only to get sucked in to the thought of 'I will play down to' and then finaly losing most of my hard earnd profit before doing the right thing and leaving the table.

On a side note and I could be wrong but I have noticed that once a table reaches 2 or more big stacks (2+ times the max buy-in) the it seems activaly discurage new players from joining your table as for me anyway it is actualy possable to have too many chips on the table and be in too strong a possition to get any value.
what feels good to me at PDC anyways is the $4 max. i just lowered it for a few days because i was starting to go through a downswing and it seemed to help me get back up little by little. i have since switched back to the $4 max at the 2c/4c.

i just played my first 1c/2c and i sat down with the max of $5.

i would just like to say that it was a good thing i did as i was able to maximize it.

(i hope its ok to post it here):

A pretty nice score for 1c 2c. i waited for some more hands but the cards went cold and left.

I am learnign to recognize when to leave alot better than i used to. I still get tilted at times and i know that doesnt help. But i can say, that was one of the things i was/am working on the most for the internet play.

I know what you mean by sitting with the large stacks. i try to stay away from tables where one or 2 guys have a distinct advantage in chips. I figure they must have the lucky seat instead fo the "bad beat seat". I look for stacks relatively even with the buy-ins. But, in saying that, if there is a single large stack and a couple of real low i will give it a shot to see if its easy money with the low stacks.

Last edited by Magunga_Mike; Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 08:19 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
I know this isn't the place to coment on hands and how they are played but I'm going to do it anyway. This is how I saw the hand as played:

Pre-flop: Pretty standard for a 1c/2c table

The Flop: I put StefsIn and wwfc_chirs on the flush or straight draw (pre-flop there was no raise and no re-raise on the flop so I would have ruled out an over pair and was thinking mid conectors, low pair or rag suit) I think your bet was strong enough to get rid of most players with over cards

The Turn: I think your bet was screamed C bet (which I assume is what you were going for) www_chirs all-in put a bad taste in my mouth It was to high to be anything other than an attempt to shut down the pot or a semi-bluff at worst and StefsIn's call confermed that and also told me that there was an 8 in that hand so your push back was will worth it to build the pot.

The River: Standard stuff though I am suprised you dropped the amount of you bet I can understand it but personaly I would have pushed for the extra 37c if he(or she) is going to call $1.62 then $1.99 would also be called.

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 10:40 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbuddie99 View Post
The River: Standard stuff though I am suprised you dropped the amount of you bet I can understand it but personaly I would have pushed for the extra 37c if he(or she) is going to call $1.62 then $1.99 would also be called.
yea, i didnt realize that i left him with it..lol. im kinda surprised he just didnt put it all in there as well since he had so much already.

yes, i was trying to push out the draw and then figured a 1/2 pot bet with the house would get call from at least one of them. it turned out better than i could hope for, for sure.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com