Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Live Training /

Update & Training Class Suggestion

Old
Update & Training Class Suggestion - Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hello all,

Another month of learning and practicing under my belt. I think I had a good instinct for the game from the beginning, but that'll only get you so far. Now I gotta learn to apply the "tools" correctly. The first class I took here was the "commitment decisions" one and the most important thing I got out of it was thinking ahead before you make a decision. I've been in very few situations lately where I had to vomit! For example, now if I'm in a situation where I'm not sure anymore if I have the best hand, but can't or won't fold no matter what happens, I'll probobly push and at least give myself that extra opportunity to win, and would,ve made that decision the hand before. Sounds fundamental now, but it wasn't always. I'm gonna go through all the classes again this week, and extract more good stuff out of them. I probobly only absorbed 1/10th of the info the first time.

Dave, if you're still open for suggestions I need help with betting. Like, what's a good bet, whats a bad bet, when never and always to call bet; how much to bet under different circumstances. For example you said your typical C-bet is 3/4 of the pot. IIve been doing the same thing, but dont know exactly why. If someone calls that c- bet, how much to bet on the turn and why. I watch a lot of pro poker on tv and I see them asking how much do you have left. I know it has something to do with how much they should bet, but I'm in the dark about the details. Also pot equity. I couldn't even give you a clear definition. Thanks.

Moving back to St. Pete in a few months. They have awesome poker rooms at the dog track there (Derby Lane). Gonna put on my big watch, my pokerstars cap, mp3 player (LOL) and have a great time . Dont worry I'll start with the small $1 tables, $80 - $180/max buy in.

cheers. johann.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 04:14 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
When you see live players ask "how much you got"?, they are trying to get a read.
-verbal tell
-How much attention he is paying to the game.I have had guys blurt out my chip stack size
to a opponent when they ask me since I dont talk much during a hand.But it also showed he is very aware of what is going on and not just playing his cards.
- Phsyical tells
He starts fumbling his chips.I have lost a lot of chips to old guys that have shaky hands to no longer rely on that tell but I did pick off a guy that could not control his hand when he was bluffing.
He noticed me pick up on it and then gave off a reverse tell which made it even easier to play against.

So they do it for many reasons.

When I wake up I will write some stuff about bet sizing.

I would suggest you play 9man sngs rather than 180s to start.
Think working your way up is a good way to build your game.
9mans> 18mans>27mans>45mans>90mans>180s.
Play regular till you got a grip on the play and then move to turbo of that lvl.
It may seem tedious but it will make you a really good SNG player.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 10:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
My standard c-bet is roughly 2/3rds of the pot (not 3/4), but I do vary that for a varienty of reasons.

Your questions on when and when not to bet, bet sizing, etc can't really be done justice in a post. The general principle to consider when you are contemplating a bet or raise is will the bet be for value or as a bluff? For value means worse hands can call (important distinction, not just villain has worse hands in their range, but actually can call you with worse hands). And as a bluff means better hands will fold. If a bet fits squarely into one of these categories it's probably a good bet. If you believe the villain can't really call with much worse but won't fold better, then it's a good idea to reconsider your bet. Maybe an adjustment to bet sizing would help it fit better in one of those categories, or maybe you shouldn't bet.

Stack size awareness live is important to understand commitment, bet sizing (what an opponent will or will not be willing to call with certain strength hands), leveraging fold equity via multiple barrels, etc. Asking how many chips someone has is a great way to prompt for tells (If you haven't done any study of tells, you may want to before moving to where you'll play live regularly). The pros on tv usually are doing it because the stacks often range from deep to super deep and they want to be sure they know how deep the opponent is while considering all these factors. Of course they are also looking for tells but when someone asks Phil Ivey or Tom Dwan how much he's playing, they're not expecting any useful tell info.

Dave

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 09:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
oops i meant 2/3rds sorry

as always, i appreciate the help.

i think it was you who at one time said if you buy and read only one poker book u should read this. i cant find where that was. what's the book again?

re: tells. Online when I get a monster hand i usually go "wooohoo" I guess that wouldnt be a good thing to do live (lol). Will definetly study up on tells (mine and oppt's), and start at the small stakes tables. It's still a few months away at least.

johann

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com