Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Positive points on the PSO skill league.

Old
Positive points on the PSO skill league. - Wed Mar 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
I'm new here. I'm just wondering where does one have to finish in order to acquire positive points. I got 40 points last night and gained 4886 places in the league. Obviously I want to go as high as possible. Cheers for any replies.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It depends on your point total and will be constantly changing. The breakeven point can be anywhere from about top 40% (1550 pts or lower.. give or take)... to as high as top 22.5% (1800+ pts)

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thank you very much. I get it, so because I am starting from a low base (1491 pts) I can gain positive points easier than someone high up. Obviously I might not do anything this month, but hopefully can do well next month.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Ace View Post
Thank you very much. I get it, so because I am starting from a low base (1491 pts) I can gain positive points easier than someone high up.
Correct...along with that, you get a few more points, the lower your score is.
Welcome to the league and the forum btw!
The league tab up top will explain the scoring and the leaderboard. Be sure to click on the red link words there to get further explanations.
Also, look here, at question #2 in this link.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...by-New-Players.
Let us know if you have any other questions.
I'll be sending you a pm this week.

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the link and info Dan, and thanks for the welcome

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 06:34 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I usually just use 35% to calculate where I need to be, roughly but I don't need to worry about that now, as I give up on the PSO "Skill" League. It's not with the boredom or aggravation when playing good cards & getting sucked out on with lower junk. LOL

Old
Wed Mar 30, 2011, 09:47 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I figure positive points start when 30% of the field remains. Tighten it for every additional 100 points by 3%, so a person at 1600 points earns with 27% remaining, 1700 points is at 24%, and players over 1800 are at 20% of the field.

Mine is a rough guesstimation, but it gives you a goal. If you're below 1700, try finishing in the top 25% and you'll see your rank increase.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
(#8)
The highest is at 22.5%. That is for 1870 points for the month and up. From around 1800 to 1870 it's top 23.5%. The first throttle that you can run into starts at 1660 points for the month. Before you reach that just go with a base of wanting to make the top 30%-33%. At 1660 points it drops to 28.5%,I believe.

A trick I always use is to "Hairshirt" myself,i.e.,to make my goal a couple % points harder than it really is.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 05:58 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Maybe some things I'm working on may encourage you a little, specifically large tournament strategy. You know playing in a tourney with 1400 or so people and doing well at it isn't easy. It seems you have a knack for it; not everyone does.

One think I've been contemplating is minimizing the amount of times when I'm risking my tournament life. Being the big stack and calling a push by a much smaller stack when i'm 90% sure I have the best hand is ideal. And of course being non confrontational with the bigger stack is ideal, too. And having pocket aces and knowing for a fact that my opponent has 22 or 44, etc. is ideal, too. But what I'm thinking about is, even in that seemingly ideal situation, the AA will loose to the low pair (in the best situation 1 on 1 pre flop all in) about (plus acouple of percent) 1 out of 5 times. so even in that ideal situation, how many times can one get away with that before the law of averages takes effect and pure luck has to kick in. And in a large tourney after playing for 2 hours you cant just brush it off and rebuy, thats it. And of course you wanna rely on luck as little as poss. Anyway just stuff I'm thinking about.

I played in a tourney that had a pretty nice payout a few days ago where I was doing ok; you know getting some chips here and there, just playing decent solid poker. But i swear it was like the only time I would loose chips is when I got a decent hand. I'd get jj raise then got reraised. Then the flop is like aaq. Id get akd can only get a couple people to fold with 3x bet, the next 4 cards are spades and everyone goes on a betting frenzy. Yeah it sucks, but no reason to give up.

anyway if u change ur mind gl.

cheers. j.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 06:04 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
didnt mean to hijack your thread previous was a reply to dewskis post.
thanks.

Old
Scoring Charts - Thu Mar 31, 2011, 09:22 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
The highest is at 22.5%. That is for 1870 points for the month and up. From around 1800 to 1870 it's top 23.5%. The first throttle that you can run into starts at 1660 points for the month. Before you reach that just go with a base of wanting to make the top 30%-33%. At 1660 points it drops to 28.5%,I believe.
There is a sticky in this forum with charts showing approx points vs per cent of field faded. There are charts for various starting scores that you can use to get a good estimate of your scoring. The updated charts for the new ITM structure are at the bottom of the linked page

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...nalysis/page11

Personally, although I don't play PSO Skill League anymore, once I got close to the cross over to +ve points if I was short stacked, I would wait for a good double up opportunity to hopefully start on building a stack to take me to the money or at least to decent +ve points. At that point you are risking only a small -ve score to possibly get a reward of quite a few points.

It's all about risk reward .

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey psychoist, good to see ya'.

I didn't know you had this stickied here...nice.. the link I provided in my earlier post here takes you to this as well.. but good to know it's in this forum. Thanks again for it and good luck!

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 05:32 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Thank you for the responses. I've had an ok time of it. Started off quite poor but have hit my stride now, 2 cashes (46th and 97th place) and another top 300 that got me some positive points. Thats in 3 of my last 6 tourneys. Started off awfully though and ran into a complete donk last night that knocked me out.

April cannot come quickly enough.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 08:41 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Okay, a show of hands. How many of you forgot about the sticky topic regarding the scoring system? (Hedgehog holds his paw up.) I don't know about you, but I sure feel foolish.

Old
Thu Mar 31, 2011, 10:22 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewski68 View Post
I usually just use 35% to calculate where I need to be, roughly but I don't need to worry about that now, as I give up on the PSO "Skill" League. It's not with the boredom or aggravation when playing good cards & getting sucked out on with lower junk. LOL

I see what you mean when you say "skill" league. I'll be the first to admit I'm no great shake myself but the amount of donks going in with rubbish hands and winning against me is frustrating. Lost with pocket queens twice today to 2 pair, both about middle pairs. Arrrgghhh.

Old
Sun May 22, 2011, 10:13 AM
(#16)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post

I played in a tourney that had a pretty nice payout a few days ago where I was doing ok; you know getting some chips here and there, just playing decent solid poker. But i swear it was like the only time I would loose chips is when I got a decent hand. I'd get jj raise then got reraised. Then the flop is like aaq. Id get akd can only get a couple people to fold with 3x bet, the next 4 cards are spades and everyone goes on a betting frenzy. Yeah it sucks, but no reason to give up.
Well why are you three betting a flop that missed you completely and you are very easily beaten by Ax? The best hand PF isn't always the best hand Post flop and the only hand calling your bet is one that is beating you so you gain nothing by re raising.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com