Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

A New PSO Skill League Record

Old
A New PSO Skill League Record - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 07:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
March is in the books and I am proud of my record breaking performance. Of course, I must give a nod of admiration to the former record holder, tencat. He has been an inspiration to me and it was a goal and a dream of mine to beat the mark he set in November. My only disappointment was that he sat this one out (only played 14 PSOs for the month) and was not in there giving me a run for it.

That is not to say, I had no competition. The other multiple title holder and always consistent, raebill finished only two spots behind me. Newcomer wish4mtns, in her first full month of Skill League play, was runner up to me and had me sweating it out right up to the end. She will definitely be worth watching out for next month.

Lastly, I’d like to thank all of the 14,927 players who participated in the March PSO Skill League. Without all of you….it would have been just me in the league by myself.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 07:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Awesome job Fish... I always had faith in you

Old
idiotic - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
March is in the books and I am proud of my record breaking performance. Of course, I must give a nod of admiration to the former record holder, tencat. He has been an inspiration to me and it was a goal and a dream of mine to beat the mark he set in November. My only disappointment was that he sat this one out (only played 14 PSOs for the month) and was not in there giving me a run for it.

That is not to say, I had no competition. The other multiple title holder and always consistent, raebill finished only two spots behind me. Newcomer wish4mtns, in her first full month of Skill League play, was runner up to me and had me sweating it out right up to the end. She will definitely be worth watching out for next month.

Lastly, I’d like to thank all of the 14,927 players who participated in the March PSO Skill League. Without all of you….it would have been just me in the league by myself.
Im a little chaffed this mornin - so forgive me-- you placed 783 ish in Feb-- and purposely lost in March??-- You should be tossed- how many players did you rail pushing ATC man-- this is worse than cheating- is downright rude and the fact that you admit it publicly- shows even more disrespect to the game and its players-- 2 words for you child-- and they aint happy birthday !!!!!!!!!!

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:11 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Well, darn! When it got tough to keep going in March I said to myself, "I have to finish--this is my chance to impress monkeyskunk." guess I was wrong there.

It really isn't fair of you to point out my February results skunk. I lost heart in February and didn't finish the month. I wish you would have used my January results. In Jan, I finished 61st with 1,874.73 points.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:15 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
congrats dude,

Old
?? - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:19 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Well, darn! When it got tough to keep going in March I said to myself, "I have to finish--this is my chance to impress monkeyskunk." guess I was wrong there.

It really isn't fair of you to point out my February results skunk. I lost heart in February and didn't finish the month. I wish you would have used my January results. In Jan, I finished 61st with 1,874.73 points.
Your sarcasm belies the true nature of your character . nuff said- gl and have a nice day--

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:29 AM
(#7)
skunk a fast question,

what are your thoughts on the fast curve challenge, were a player dumps in the beginning of the month and then tries a comeback, even JDean gave the fast curve a shot,

just asking

Old
?? - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:35 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
skunk a fast question,

what are your thoughts on the fast curve challenge, were a player dumps in the beginning of the month and then tries a comeback, even JDean gave the fast curve a shot,

just asking
pmed you the answer

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:48 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskunk4 View Post
Your sarcasm belies the true nature of your character . nuff said- gl and have a nice day--
Somewhat like terrorizing a loose nut through the forum and PM's?

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:48 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
skunk a fast question,

just asking
Worst thing I did.

Fact is, y that time I just couldn't summons interest in PSO any other way. So I totally get why Fish did what he did.

it happens.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 09:08 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Worst thing I did.

Fact is, y that time I just couldn't summons interest in PSO any other way. So I totally get why Fish did what he did.

it happens.
Right on the button JDean. I wanted to stay involved in the Skill League for one more month, but I didn't want to invest more than 10 minutes per tourney. Also, I was curious what the low end points looked like. On the 30th, I hit dead last in one tourney and still loss less than 4 points. lol

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 09:22 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
On the 30th, I hit dead last in one tourney and still loss less than 4 points. lol
Then your experiment has provided some extremely useful data. This has to be changed. While the leaders are heavily penalised for being crushed by the shove monkeys, the tards responsible seem to have almost nothing to lose.

Where are you staff. This is WRONG !

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#13)
I came across you a couple of times this month and wondered what your problem was. Good for you for achieving being a P***K in March, problem i have with it is when you was at the table trying to be the biggest P***K in the league there was 8 other players on there trying to improve on there rankings and could do with out idiots like you on there table. So next time you go after the biggest P***K in the league have some consideration for your fellow PSO members who put in there time and effort in to actually try to learn the game and not destroy it for the good of there own ego, you should be ashamed of your self not publicly congratulating your poor little minded performance.
And i suppose i got some justice back when i knocked you out of the PSO 1k sat, cause after all you was'nt trying to do bad in that one was you.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:34 AM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Then your experiment has provided some extremely useful data. This has to be changed. While the leaders are heavily penalised for being crushed by the shove monkeys, the tards responsible seem to have almost nothing to lose.

Where are you staff. This is WRONG !
Of course they have nothing to lose. When you're in the cellar there's no where else to go.

Besides, the vast majority of cellar dwellers don't care about ranking or don't even know about it (so a harsher point penalty is meaninigless). The scoring system is an irrelevant deterrant to those who don't care about it.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:38 AM
(#15)
(Head Trainer)
There are 2 ways to cure this "issue". Most of the cellar dwellers are freeroll monkeys chasing the pennies in the freeroll. The only way to fight it is to remove their ability to garner those pennies since that is what motivates most of them.

Solution 1: Remove eligibilty to play in the league for anyone ranked below a certain point.

This solution is seriously flawed. What threshold to remove? bottom 10%? Bottom 20%? How long do they lose eligibility? 1 month? Until they complete certain study and/or quiz materials? What about the genuine newbie who wants to learn and is trying but just makes lots of mistakes, is it fair or right to "punish" them if they fall below the threshold? I think not.

Solution 2: Remove the prize pool for individual freerolls

This is the best option. While good individual efforts are not rewarded immediately, it makes the sole focus of hte league to be the monthly ranking. It allows any and all to play at any time, while removing the freeroll chasing monkeys by taking away their opportunity to get a banana. If they want to stick around for a pay day in this league they are more than welcome, but they'll have to do it be achieving a monthly ranking.

This option also has problems however. Namely, the newer players and poor players who come here to try and get better, will have little chance at any reward initially as they're extremely unlikely to finish in the money monthly. The current prize pools provide at least some measure of immediate reward for their success. Without it, many will become discouraged and give up. This school is not about making quitters. And from a business aspect that's not a good business model either.

Solution 3: Change nothing

What if this "issue" isn't an issue at all? I know you "serious" players are sick of dealing with shove monkeys and bad players, but guess what, reality is there are bad players of all different varieties everywhere in real money play. So instead of ranting about how bad players are ruininig the league, why not focus on developing optimal strategies to exploit the variety of bad players found here and THANK THE PSO SKILL LEAGUE FOR PROVIDING AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS LEARNING FREE OF CHARGE. Those of you who want their by the book nit league are missing the boat completely... in the real world of real $ buy ins many of your opponents don't fit into this mold... some will be playing some variety of bad poker and making lots of mistakes (so learn here how to adjust to exploit them), while others will be making adjustments to exploit both the poor players and the by the book nits.

I'm not condoning what Fish did, just trying to make a point that too often falls on deaf ears around here.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:41 AM
(#16)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
WOW. Lots of strong opinions out there. First off. Relax everyone. Have Fun. Monkey, I know you're a little wound up atm due to the whole Xbeagle thing. Sorry bout the bad beat there. I don't think things will change but, I'm rooting for ya. As far Fish, Congrats. Nicely done. I was going to do this as well on my exit month. Will give you a heads up Fish, we can make a real run at it. Maybe put up some props as well. As for the learning part that everyone is so hell bent on. Whether it is cash, MTT's, or SnG, there will always be the occasional shove monkey (in this case it was a fish). So, Fish's efforts in no way harmed or helped anyone. It's part of the game. As to why anyone would do this? It's simple. It seemed like fun, and Fish had fun doing it. If you can't get passed that because you feel that it somehow impaired your ability to win $$ in the skill league, Put up a Prop bet against me in my Prop bet thread. I may double your odds for ya. Anyways that's my 2 cents. GL to all -shark

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:41 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
The problem is, if you make the penalties harsher for early outs for then you will have the same idiots trying to get all the way to ZERO points by the end of the month, whereby earning them the "AZZHAT OF THE MONTH" Award which to some seems to be a badge of honor.
For the life of me, I just don't find the satisfaction that some seem to derive from trying to be the biggest idiot.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:43 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Hitman View Post
I came across you a couple of times this month and wondered what your problem was. Good for you for achieving being a P***K in March, problem i have with it is when you was at the table trying to be the biggest P***K in the league there was 8 other players on there trying to improve on there rankings and could do with out idiots like you on there table. So next time you go after the biggest P***K in the league have some consideration for your fellow PSO members who put in there time and effort in to actually try to learn the game and not destroy it for the good of there own ego, you should be ashamed of your self not publicly congratulating your poor little minded performance.
And i suppose i got some justice back when i knocked you out of the PSO 1k sat, cause after all you was'nt trying to do bad in that one was you.
If you came across me a "couple" of times and only now figured out what I was doing, you need to work on learning how to play the player.

If you think all of the other seven players at our tables cared about their PSO scores, you win the award for least perceptive player in the league.

If you think you took me out, you must have been sleeping when I got crippled by A-rag.

Hope to see you in the $1K sat. tonight.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:44 AM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
There are 2 ways to cure this "issue". Most of the cellar dwellers are freeroll monkeys chasing the pennies in the freeroll. The only way to fight it is to remove their ability to garner those pennies since that is what motivates most of them.

Solution 1: Remove eligibilty to play in the league for anyone ranked below a certain point.

This solution is seriously flawed. What threshold to remove? bottom 10%? Bottom 20%? How long do they lose eligibility? 1 month? Until they complete certain study and/or quiz materials? What about the genuine newbie who wants to learn and is trying but just makes lots of mistakes, is it fair or right to "punish" them if they fall below the threshold? I think not.

Solution 2: Remove the prize pool for individual freerolls

This is the best option. While good individual efforts are not rewarded immediately, it makes the sole focus of hte league to be the monthly ranking. It allows any and all to play at any time, while removing the freeroll chasing monkeys by taking away their opportunity to get a banana. If they want to stick around for a pay day in this league they are more than welcome, but they'll have to do it be achieving a monthly ranking.

This option also has problems however. Namely, the newer players and poor players who come here to try and get better, will have little chance at any reward initially as they're extremely unlikely to finish in the money monthly. The current prize pools provide at least some measure of immediate reward for their success. Without it, many will become discouraged and give up. This school is not about making quitters. And from a business aspect that's not a good business model either.

Solution 3: Change nothing

What if this "issue" isn't an issue at all? I know you "serious" players are sick of dealing with shove monkeys and bad players, but guess what, reality is there are bad players of all different varieties everywhere in real money play. So instead of ranting about how bad players are ruininig the league, why not focus on developing optimal strategies to exploit the variety of bad players found here and THANK THE PSO SKILL LEAGUE FOR PROVIDING AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS LEARNING FREE OF CHARGE. Those of you who want their by the book nit league are missing the boat completely... in the real world of real $ buy ins many of your opponents don't fit into this mold... some will be playing some variety of bad poker and making lots of mistakes (so learn here how to adjust to exploit them), while others will be making adjustments to exploit both the poor players and the by the book nits.

I'm not condoning what Fish did, just trying to make a point that too often falls on deaf ears around here.

thank you sir,

another great post, as always.

cheers

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 12:06 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
I can understand making a run for dead last as a challenge. If the following month you try for first, just to show how much of a swing you can make with some serious play. Of course the real fun would be those crazy enough to try and beat that record by having a ranking below 1,000 points. Heaven help us if we meet them on the table.

The idea of eliminating the prize has been dismissed by the site. Something about a prize needed for tracking purposes. I'm thinking Langolier is correct. We need to look at the league as a learning experience, which means we will run into every type of player.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com