Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Experiment

Old
Experiment - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 12:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
I thought I would try something new. I folded everyhand after timing out preflop. I was forced all in twice. Once I had q9 off and the big blid had AA I got lucky with a straight and won. Second time I was forced all in with q5 off and was eliminated by a9 who got a straight.

I ended up in 165th place in the first tournament of the month. There was 1044 entries. That is about in the top 16 %. I did not even play a hand. I believe it is safe to assume I will get some points for this tournament. 108 places paid. I did not make the money. I did gain points. This was entertaining.

Here are some stats for your enjoyment.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 64 hands and saw flop:
- 1 out of 5 times while in big blind (20%)
- 1 out of 7 times while in small blind (14%)
- 0 out of 52 times in other positions (0%)
- a total of 2 out of 64 (3%)
Pots won at showdown - 1 of 2 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

Read more: Blogs – Poker School Online: Learn Poker Strategy, Odds and Tells http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...#ixzz1II5FS5s9

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 12:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Putting the "skill" in skill league!

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 03:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I think we've found the number 1 player for the month of April.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:09 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Some time back, a player wondered how they would do if they did that in every game. The person didn't do that, but it did make you wonder. At least we know how many hands and how deep.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:37 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Results could get worse as people tighten up as the ratings grow.

Old
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2010
Must admit I've seen a few sitters make it through the +pts barrier, and thats without clock usage, makes you wonder whether the real decision in PSO isn't necessarily check/raise or fold in PSO, maybe its play or sit out in the first few days.

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 01:18 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
It can get you points for awhile. It ain't gonna get you to the money for the month as the cut-off for even the $3 is higher than the 1660 points barrier which is when the scoring throttles kick in. Doing what you did here under the throttles is going to LOSE you points.

The one that drives me nuts is when one of the "sit-and-shoves" as I call them gets rewarded for their BS. Sit out all the way until it's 150 or so from ITM,then come in shoving EVERY hand until they either rail or hit enough luckbox gifts to sit out and get their shiny penny.

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 01:27 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That is a clear prime example of why the cash % was changed from 15% to 10%. If you got lucky 1 more time, you could have gotten the extra points for a cash... basically without playing a hand.

Once the throttles kick in... if you don't win the two hands, you're getting negative pts, that if you keep playing that way, will never be able to get back.

I will say though, that I've played a number of games where you go card dead, and something like that is all you can do. Just take what you can get and try again next time, if that's the case.

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 01:35 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Agreed on all points JW,and it's one of the reasons that I,for one,am glad that they changed the ITM line from 15 to 10%.

Of course as "veteran" PSO'ers you and I,among many others,know that the "card dead" games are mainly about damage control. If you can pop a hand or 2 and make + points great,if not cut your losses.

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 04:32 AM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2010
I used the exact same experiment in quite a lot of my tournaments last month. I rarely had the time to sit down and play a full game so I would just have the laptop on beside me and would let it fold every hand for me through timing out, then I would just click I'm back, or if I was going to be away from the computer for a while TableNinja which is software that is authorised to be used with pokerstars has an auto click I'm back option so I made a lot of points without even touching the computer.

Made it into the top 1000, almost the top 500, I did play quite a few of the games myself too, got some ITM and some big negative points too, but I don't think that I would have managed my $3 end of month prize without using this strategy in the games which I couldn't devote my full attention too.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com