Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Thoughts from a drunk guy

Old
Default
Thoughts from a drunk guy - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:10 PM
(#1)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
just say you have an issue you feel very strongly about,

do you attack with a very strong opinion and tell it like it is, or

do you try to get your point across in a civil manner?

if some one attacks your way of thinking with an aggressive tone, how do you react to it?
are you hearing what their saying? or just the aggression

if someone tries to explain there thought in a civil manner, are you more up to listening to what they have to say?

l'm just learning how to communicate, lol, only took me 50 years and still learning.

anyways, just thinking out loud............hiccup

cheers
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:16 PM
(#2)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
just say you have an issue you feel very strongly about,

do you attack with a very strong opinion and tell it like it is, or

do you try to get your point across in a civil manner?

if some one attacks your way of thinking with an aggressive tone, how do you react to it?
are you hearing what their saying? or just the aggression

if someone tries to explain there thought in a civil manner, are you more up to listening to what they have to say?

l'm just learning how to communicate, lol, only took me 50 years and still learning.

anyways, just thinking out loud............hiccup

cheers
Eff, I can take it either way. As well, I do both when responding. If the person isn't listening (you). It may get louder or appear more aggressive in tone. However, once my piece has been stated. It is over for me. Apparently, not you however. Respect is everything for me and if not for you. GL to ya. It's that easy. I may have blown up and real friends may try to look past that at some point. However, it doesn't matter to me either way. I can pick with whom I converse. As can you. The end result is what is of importance. To me anyhow!

JT
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:21 PM
(#3)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
Eff, I can take it either way. As well, I do both when responding. If the person isn't listening (you). It may get louder or appear more aggressive in tone. However, once my piece has been stated. It is over for me. Apparently, not you however. Respect is everything for me and if not for you. GL to ya. It's that easy. I may have blown up and real friends may try to look past that at some point. However, it doesn't matter to me either way. I can pick with whom I converse. As can you. The end result is what is of importance. To me anyhow!

JT

lol jt,

this was not directed at you,

respect is gained, not demanded,

cheers
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:27 PM
(#4)
Cairn Destop's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,477
BronzeStar
One thing I will tell everyone is that the written word has a way of being mis-toned. That is, there is no inflection from the voice. What is clear and calm to one, another will interpret as bombastic. It is something I can attest to as common. One must choose their words with care when writing online. It still surprises me how something innocent can become a clash of cultures.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#5)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
l started this post today in good will, there is so much drama today in the forum, l was hoping to calm things down, thats all.

cheers all
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:36 PM
(#6)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
lol jt,

this was not directed at you,

respect is gained, not demanded,

cheers
It is something I give until miss used or not given back Sir. Great reply however.

JT
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:47 PM
(#7)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
It is something I give until miss used or not given back Sir. Great reply however.

JT
JT, l have tried to explain to you via our pm's, but since you are putting this drama in open forum,

it was you that said l was not a man of my word, how was l to take that?

it was you that said our group was up to something in the open forum,
how were we to take that?

you carry on, l'm done
 
Old
Default
?? - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 04:55 PM
(#8)
monkeyskunk4's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
l started this post today in good will, there is so much drama today in the forum, l was hoping to calm things down, thats all.

cheers all

All of us like motion pictures - yes?
Okay - so the genres are-- Horror,- Thriller,- Suspense,-Action/thriller,Action/suspense-Action pg,-Drama,-Comedic/Drama,-Docudrama,-Comedy,and Documentary--- pick your poison-- yet Truth- is well --- Truth------------------------------------ and it smells like chocolate !!
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:04 PM
(#9)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskunk4 View Post
All of us like motion pictures - yes?
Okay - so the genres are-- Horror,- Thriller,- Suspense,-Action/thriller,Action/suspense-Action pg,-Drama,-Comedic/Drama,-Docudrama,-Comedy,and Documentary--- pick your poison-- yet Truth- is well --- Truth------------------------------------ and it smells like chocolate !!

thx for your input monk,

lately l have been staying away from the forum, it tilts me,

l'm only going to post in the drunk tank thread and the investment thread from now on,

l can no longer read the bs in this forum,

good luck to all,

cheers
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:22 PM
(#10)
bogweed1964's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
just say you have an issue you feel very strongly about,

do you attack with a very strong opinion and tell it like it is, or

do you try to get your point across in a civil manner?

if some one attacks your way of thinking with an aggressive tone, how do you react to it?
are you hearing what their saying? or just the aggression

if someone tries to explain there thought in a civil manner, are you more up to listening to what they have to say?

l'm just learning how to communicate, lol, only took me 50 years and still learning.

anyways, just thinking out loud............hiccup

cheers

Eff regardless of what the underlying purpose of this thread is I'll throw a penny in, its my last month, and as always I'll try to respond with a straight bat.

I would always advocate civility, the raising of voices and anger of tone usually indicates a lack of strength in the point being made.

Take on board what has been said in opposition and respond civily where necessary to flaws in the argument being offered, if the response corrects you then accept gracefully, if the response is lirrational and lacks substance any further reply will prompt only further similar responses and end up in circular arguments that lead nowhere. I could link but won't.

At this point back away quietly, don't think that you always have to have the last word, a battle of wits with unarmed opponents is a futile battle, be comfortable in the knowledge that no point was made to disprove your position and that the the last point made, whilst being the final word was unsubstantiated.

The adversery, if they chose to be so, may walk away with chest puffed out but this will never detract from the facts and if they are wrong they will always remain wrong and more fool them for being ignorant of the fact to boot.
 
Old
Default
?? - Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:31 PM
(#11)
monkeyskunk4's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,818
hay bog-- kinda like tryin to bluff a calling station??? yep-- good read man--
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:36 PM
(#12)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogweed1964 View Post
Eff regardless of what the underlying purpose of this thread is I'll throw a penny in, its my last month, and as always I'll try to respond with a straight bat.

I would always advocate civility, the raising of voices and anger of tone usually indicates a lack of strength in the point being made.

Take on board what has been said in opposition and respond civily where necessary to flaws in the argument being offered, if the response corrects you then accept gracefully, if the response is lirrational and lacks substance any further reply will prompt only further similar responses and end up in circular arguments that lead nowhere. I could link but won't.

At this point back away quietly, don't think that you always have to have the last word, a battle of wits with unarmed opponents is a futile battle, be comfortable in the knowledge that no point was made to disprove your position and that the the last point made, whilst being the final word was unsubstantiated.

The adversery, if they chose to be so, may walk away with chest puffed out but this will never detract from the facts and if they are wrong they will always remain wrong and more fool them for being ignorant of the fact to boot.

l'm not sure l fully understand to what you are saying here, l'm a simple man with a very bad past trying to see a different way, l'm in the learning stages of how to communicate without taking your head off, l know one thing so far, when to walk away, well almost, l did say l'm still in the learning process,

cheers
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:49 PM
(#13)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
basically what he is saying is when dealing with an idiot, who has an opposite view from you to state your case listen to the reply and if they are still an idiot walk away because arguing will just escalate the matter into the ridiculous
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:56 PM
(#14)
bogweed1964's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
basically what he is saying is when dealing with an idiot, who has an opposite view from you to state your case listen to the reply and if they are still an idiot walk away because arguing will just escalate the matter into the ridiculous
Cheers Mick, I know I talk in tongues sometimes, its how I write, not who I am.

Last edited by bogweed1964; Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 06:03 PM..
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:02 PM
(#15)
effsea's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,609
thx guys,

one thing l'm happy about is, because l don't know it all, l'm still able to learn something,

cheers guys
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:18 PM
(#16)
sharkatack89's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 536
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
thx guys,

one thing l'm happy about is, because l don't know it all, l'm still able to learn something,

cheers guys
Great reply Eff, Please do stick around. Your posts are almost always entertaining. (still think the whole drunk things an act, lol) and learning to control your temper is good for life and poker. JT's a little rough and tumble at time even for me. But, I've learned to see past his impatience (for us slow folks), and I get most of his points. Sometimes brutally honest, and sometimes blunt, he is very true to his heart and his views.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:22 PM
(#17)
Deleted user
I know one thing about humans is we are poor listeners.
Used to think I was not conveying my message clearly to people till I really started watching people talk to one another.

I have two neighbors and one is lady getting in shape and trying to look after herself and the other
is a guy that I think has to be one of those kids that the parents couldnt stand and bought him a place to get him out of the house.
So he has been trying to hit on her for the past couple of months and each time he does I get out with a beer and watch the funniest dialoge.

"Hey hows it going,you sure are looking good"
Which is continues by her talking about her self for 5 minutes.
"Well it seems to be working,your really toning up"
More of her talking about her self

This goes on for about 10 minutes and he says "Well I will talk to you later"!
She immediately starts talking to her friend and not even acknowledging his departure.

They are both clueless here for a few reasons.
She has been sneaking a guy in late at night once the kids go to bed and he has not noticed,even though the guy is on the way out the front door sometimes when he is starting his car up.

She doesnt see that he wants to get in her pants and doesnt ever ask a personal question about what is going on with him.

I sit there and laugh my ass off as this guy trys his hardest to get the party rolling and fails each time.Should say its not something I got out my way to do,but if Im in the kitchen and I see them
Im going to watch for laughs.

We all have our own hiccups and like poker you just have to look hard enough to see it.
Listening is a good way to figure people out.But then again I spend a little to much time in my head
and over analyze things.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 01, 2011, 09:02 PM
(#18)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatack89 View Post
Great reply Eff, Please do stick around. Your posts are almost always entertaining. (still think the whole drunk things an act, lol) and learning to control your temper is good for life and poker. JT's a little rough and tumble at time even for me. But, I've learned to see past his impatience (for us slow folks), and I get most of his points. Sometimes brutally honest, and sometimes blunt, he is very true to his heart and his views.
This is exactly correct. I have no problems with anyone here and I would do just about anything for anyone I have come to know in here. I am an ignorant man when I feel I am right. I am NOT a selfish person. However, I am an educator. If you don't get what I am teaching. That isn't on me.

JT
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com