Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Thoughts to improve "Skill League"

Old
Thoughts to improve "Skill League" - Sat Apr 02, 2011, 10:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
I have been thinking about the fast structure of the league and I know I am not the only one who finds that it creates a luck based league where skill seems to go un-rewarded.

I know the arguments to keep the structure quick as it is a low payout freeroll but what if it was used as a feeder to a slower structured skill league if you score over say 1575 you get a ticket from this league to the one above with a slower structure so we can play some more poker and less shoving.

Any thoughts or am I way out in left field on this one?

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 01:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the shove monkeys will be there regardless. Personally, a double starting stack, I think would be a good thing.... but... for everyone that thinks it would help, there are multiple that whine and say these take too long already.

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 07:24 PM
(#3)
I know the shove monkeys will always be there but I find that the structure is so fast the people who play solid become short stacked in a couple levels and are then required to try doubling up or get blinded out.

I just think if this is left the way it is as a "beginner league" and then have it feed into a "skill league" where people actually want to play poker it might be better.

Old
Sat Apr 02, 2011, 07:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.693 View Post
I know the shove monkeys will always be there but I find that the structure is so fast the people who play solid become short stacked in a couple levels and are then required to try doubling up or get blinded out.

I just think if this is left the way it is as a "beginner league" and then have it feed into a "skill league" where people actually want to play poker it might be better.

THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH TOURNYS ON HERE TO PLAY POKER ???

THEY HAVE PLENTY OF THEM THAT HAVE A BETTER PAY OUT

WHY DO YOU NEED ONE MORE ???

GOOD LUCK

GO DUCKS

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 01:09 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
I think also if they increase the blinds to 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes that would help with the people that actually play poker instead of BINGO and give them more time to catch up before the blinds take them out....what do you think about that idea?

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 09:27 AM
(#6)
I am all for it but everytime somone suggests that people start to rant about how long they would take.

Old
?? - Sun Apr 03, 2011, 09:38 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey guys- all you have to do is keep your eye on your stack size- relative to the blinds--is the PSO-- not a normal mtt-- wherby you would shuv K4 when 3bb or less-- maximize your point gains- by cashing-- minimize point loss by blinding out-- it succs-- but it is true-- on more than 1 occasion i have been blinded in on the bubble- caught is lucker hand- and went deep-- as in winning--

vanessa rousseau said it best-- tournament poker is about survival !!!

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 01:59 PM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm7887 View Post
I think also if they increase the blinds to 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes that would help with the people that actually play poker instead of BINGO and give them more time to catch up before the blinds take them out....what do you think about that idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.693 View Post
I am all for it but everytime somone suggests that people start to rant about how long they would take.
This is the problem, if the admins increases the blinds to 15 minutes, the tournaments will be very longs. Now we need about 3 hours to arrive at the money positions, I think that is enough time dedicated, this make impossible increase the levels of blinds, would be very tiresome.

I think the best is adapt the game mode to the donkeys, in this league the mode to play is very different to the mode to play in the cash poker, the lucky is not more important in this tournament that in the real poker tournaments, the only thing that changes is the mode to play.

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#9)
"I have been thinking about the fast structure of the league and I know I am not the only one who finds that it creates a luck based league where skill seems to go un-rewarded."

I don't think that is the case. You may have to play cautiously early on but this is no different from any other tournament I've played. Play a good game and you will usually do ok.

Just my 2 cents based on my experiences in the league so far.

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 11:40 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VareckRay View Post
"I have been thinking about the fast structure of the league and I know I am not the only one who finds that it creates a luck based league where skill seems to go un-rewarded."

I don't think that is the case. You may have to play cautiously early on but this is no different from any other tournament I've played. Play a good game and you will usually do ok.

Just my 2 cents based on my experiences in the league so far.

I like your mindset. FACT: This is a beginners league. FACT: There are alot of shove monkies. I agree with Steve.693 and others that this league should be a feeder/qualifier into a real SKILL League, a league where aspiring, good players take pride in being a part of. A league where winners are proud, and that pride will spread outside Pokerstars, as members will expound, by word of mouth, the benefits of PSO Skill League. People will hear, and will flock to PS because no other poker site is doing this. Great promotion for PS, Great insentive for PS members.

My cutoff for a Skill League is not based on points, but on accomplishment. The top 1,000, that's the top 7-8% of the beginer league would qualify each month. and the top 100 in the SKILL League get a guarateed entry into the next months SKILL League. True that a few shove monkeys will make it thru to qualify, but for the most part a great majority of them will not make it.

What a Star to put on your ring! Folks will see that, and take notice. They will ask "What is that neat looking star on your ring?,,,How can I get one?" Anyone doubts that you've earned that star,,well just smile, remember the dues you've paid, knowing that you've been noticed Just my opinion. It's a win/win senerio for both PS and the players that care.

Remember what ol' Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express always said while chompin on a salami sub:

"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the poker room wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

>Dem

Last edited by DEMONTIS7; Sat Apr 09, 2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 07:10 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=monkeyskunk4;269109]Hey guys- all you have to do is keep your eye on your stack size- relative to the blinds--is the PSO-- not a normal mtt-- wherby you would shuv K4 when 3bb or less-- maximize your point gains- by cashing-- minimize point loss by blinding out-- it succs-- but it is true-- on more than 1 occasion i have been blinded in on the bubble- caught is lucker hand- and went deep-- as in winning-- (QUOTE]

PSO tournaments are not really about playing solid ev+ poker. Forget everything you've read up to now. Because the truth is: playing PSO tournaments is all about chip-building and getting in the money.
>Dem

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
My cutoff for a Skill League is not based on points, but on accomplishment. The top 1,000, that's the top 7-8% of the beginer league would qualify each month. and the top 100 in the SKILL League get a guarateed entry into the next months SKILL League. True that a few shove monkeys will make it thru to qualify, but for the most part a great majority of them will not make it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com