Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

All Hands From Todays PSO Game

Old
All Hands From Todays PSO Game - Sun Apr 03, 2011, 01:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Below are all of the hands I played during the 6pm game at PSO totalling half an hours game time. I don't think I could have done anything different because whatever I did I still wouldn't have hit anything, however, a close mind is a closed door and all that so I'll open it up the masses to see if they would have played these any differently.

As an aside, the AK, TT, TT combo were 3 hands in a run of 4 so I can't accuse the cards of being bad. Did I just get unlucky flops? I also incude the hand that knocked me out, if only because the hand I was dominating ended up flopping the two pair it needed to beat me. I really don't want to go through another month like March tbh.

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 03:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
1st hand: AK, played perfectly. You missed the flop, and 4-way you just gotta get out, don't C-bet just check/fold.
2nd hand: Can't see
3rd hand: I like the call preflop. You should bet the flop. You have a nice pair, it's been checked to you and there are 3 spades on board. This is a great board to semi bluff at. You probably have the best hand here actually.
4th hand: Can't see
5th hand: AQ is an easy fold UTG with blinds at 25/50 and a stack of 790. You could also make a small standard raise (125-150) and see who comes along. I think pushing 16 BBs here in a PSO is terrible. You got super lucky that you were called by a crummy hand you had dominated. Then you got super unlucky that they hit the flop HARD. You really shouldn't be pushing this early unless it's over the top of a big raise, and definitely not with a weak hand like AQ. AK, JJ+, maybe AQ suited. not AQ off though.

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 04:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
1) liked the raise and correctly folded when you didn't hit
2) liked the limp trying to setmine with that many in the pot. good fold when you didn't hit with over cards
3) you need to either make a bet or fold to the later bets after you check
4) I'd have probably mucked it preflop, but after missing the flop and they followed their preflop raise with a bet, you have to muck
5) I'd have mucked or 3-bet preflop. Only hands I push with from there are QQ, KK, AA (made hands). Yes, you got unlucky, but shouldn't have been all-in unless you saw an A and a Q on the board.

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
5th hand: AQ is an easy fold UTG with blinds at 25/50 and a stack of 790. You could also make a small standard raise (125-150) and see who comes along. I think pushing 16 BBs here in a PSO is terrible. You really shouldn't be pushing this early unless it's over the top of a big raise, and definitely not with a weak hand like AQ. AK, JJ+, maybe AQ suited. not AQ off though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
1)
5) I'd have mucked or 3-bet preflop. Only hands I push with from there are QQ, KK, AA (made hands). Yes, you got unlucky, but shouldn't have been all-in unless you saw an A and a Q on the board.
Im not trying to play 'PSO'. Im trying to learn to play winning Poker and MTT's, and not trying to be results orientated. I don't really look at the league standings too much because Im not of the ability (nor do I have the time) to challenge for the money. The way I've been learning, a push with the AQ was right. With that stack its a shove or fold surely?

Maybe I did get a bit unlucky, so thanks for the advice given. What I do know is I'm now constantly second guessing myself. I know that results dont make the player, but my brain tells me that good=successful=winning, and after spending the whole of March playing F**k all Poker then Im pretty downbeat on the whole thing.

Thanks again!

Old
Sun Apr 03, 2011, 06:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
for any game, live, mtt online, etc...... you gotta play the first hour or so the same as in these league games.... it's a winning formula (or at least has been for me).

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 02:24 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
AQ isn't really strong enough to be playing from UTG. It's a hand that wins small pots and loses big ones. Also, it sucks multiway. If the board is AQQ or AAQ or KJT then your AQ can can be a big pot hand (but the full house is not gonna make you a ton unless the other guy has KQ or QJ or some random hand with a Q.)

The reason I'm saying it's bad here in a PSO (with anything) is that the points loss if you lose is huge. In a regular MTT you may want to run a race with KJ and pocket pairs to double up early. Often you'll find yourself against a hand that has you crushed though, like AK, KK, QQ, AA. It really helps to know the playing styles and ranges of the players at the table.

If you know some dope with KT, KJ, AJ, KQ, QJ will call you, then it makes sense. But most of the time you're only getting called by better or a flip if you're lucky. Risking 16 BBs to win 1.5 is just reckless.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com