Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Weekly Roundup 4.4.11 Comments

Old
Weekly Roundup 4.4.11 Comments - Mon Apr 04, 2011, 12:21 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
This post will be used for comments to the Final Thoughts from the Weekly Roundup posted on April 4.

Old
well said - Mon Apr 04, 2011, 05:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Well said! About the only thing I would add is remember our manners folks! As a wise man once said, "you'll catch more flies with sugar than vinegar". Have a good one everyone!! Lasthippie

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 07:50 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
The Weekly Roundup is posted here:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ril-4th-2011-2

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 08:00 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
What a lesson here. I have learned this over the last few weeks. This along with the passing of my father I have come to learn real fast that some things are better unsaid! I appreciate each and everyone that I have met here. Obviously, some in completely different ways then others. However, if it weren't for everyone in here. I wouldn't have learned the things I have come to know. On and off the felt.

So, for this. I thank you!

JT

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
Wise words indeed! Respect for yourself and individuals is what poker is about. There will always be differences of opinion but as I said somewhere else here if you treat everyone else with the respect that you would like to receive yourself then you cannot go far wrong. It is not always easy, off course, but if you can apply it here on the forum, on the tables and in real life, then you will have gained something whether you win or lose.

TC

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:44 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
One of the biggest lessons when in a forum is communication. It is amazing how a simple word or phrase can come back with an interpritation opposite of your intent. As you stated in the article, unlike vocal communication, we have a delete key. Sometimes we need to use that one more often. Without facial expressions and vocal inflections, a comical remark becomes the start of a flame war. Glad you said it.

I thought the month-ending round-up report was good. It is nice knowing the skill level is such that nobody made the outcome determined well in advance. Having a spread of just a few points between first and third shows how competative this league can be for those who have a serious desire at improving.

We see the names, but that is all we know of our monitors. The short bio on the best known duo showed just how ordinary these people are, and also highlighted their dedication to this forum. A special tip of the old fedora to them for their efforts. I know we don't think of it, but I'll extend my thanks for their special efforts on our behalf. Great job guys.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 08:34 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
One of the biggest lessons when in a forum is communication. It is amazing how a simple word or phrase can come back with an interpritation opposite of your intent. As you stated in the article, unlike vocal communication, we have a delete key. Sometimes we need to use that one more often. Without facial expressions and vocal inflections, a comical remark becomes the start of a flame war. Glad you said it.

Snip
Very true Cairn, well said.

In validation of the point I just edited that first line, I had typed "oh wise prickly one", the respectful jocular intention of use would have been clear to me but to others would have been open to interpretation.

The written word has none of the benefits of tone and facial or body expression and makes it possible for the most innocent of statements to be mis-construed.

We all have our own style of writing, the personality conveyed through that style is often different from the actual person writing it, another difficulty of communicating through written words.

Whilst I will defend to the death the right of an individual to speak their opinion on an issue freely, I believe it behoves us all for those opinions to be expressed in a civil and respectful manner.

Often when tempers fray or frustrations are high it is beneficial just to take a time out before making a response, words spoken in the heat of the moment are often not the ones we would have chosen to use upon later reflection.

Debate and discussion are healthy, when opposite views are rationally put forward a middle ground of compromise and agreement can often be found, when argument and bickering take over then invariably positions will become entrenched and polarised.

No argument was ever won by shouting loudest, it was only ended that way.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 08:38 AM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2007
"oh wise prickly one" LOL

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:17 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
It’s a nice thought to wish that everyone “just calm down.” Calm will not always be the case no matter how much we wish it. It is impossible for everyone to respect everyone in a community this size brought together over the game of poker. Sometimes the disrespect for a player or his idea will be publicly aired in the forum. And that’s good. If that were never the case, this would be a pretty dull read.

The issue is civility. When things get out of hand, it is the responsibility of the Forum Moderator to control the situation. Hopefully the Forum Moderator understands that intervening too soon can sometimes be more damaging to the forum than intervening too late. Hopefully the Forum Moderator will show the posters enough respect to make sure there is an understanding as to why the intervention took place. The moderators must remain calm as they make their decisions. Remember, there will be times when the moderators get frustrated and they won’t always see eye to eye with the posters. They can take a deep breath before they act and remember they have the advantage of time to think and research before the act. When they act, hopefully it will be in the best interest of the forum.

I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize to Cairn Destop. I’ve directed a couple of sarcastic posts your way and I hope I didn’t offend you too much. You are a respected member of this forum and I for one value your participation. If you can see your way clear to accept my apology for my past posts, I’m hopeful you toss me some advanced forgiveness in case I lob another one at you in the future. I’m not going to walk on egg shells and I am going to go for humor any chance I get. I respect you enough to figure you can handle a good natured jab from time to time.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 03:20 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Just leave me out of it Fish, cause I cant take it

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Just leave me out of it Fish, cause I cant take it
L--fricken--OL

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com