Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

This is why I struggle to get > $3 payout each month

Old
This is why I struggle to get > $3 payout each month - Mon Apr 04, 2011, 10:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
How can this sick monkey chase to the river and then get paid off? And raise the turn to boot? It boggles the mind how these idiots get away with this all the time.

Last edited by IroncladMerc; Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 01:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
How can this sick monkey chase to the river and then get paid off? And raise the turn to boot? It boggles the mind how these idiots get away with this all the time.

What kills me is if you look him up he's made top 500 for the month 3 times and a cash payout almost every month in PSO. And his numbers aren't terrible on tracking sites---ROI slightly underwater but not a bad ITM %. And then you see a play like this and understand why 90% (maybe more?) of players on this site LOSE money.

I mean look at how he played this hand---wrong on every street until the river when all decision making was over and he hit his miracle.

Pre-flop: Open limps. Meh,I can almost let this go in a PSO. May as well try to set mine on the cheap. But if you're not willing to commit 150 chips to an opening 3x bet,how can you commit them to a call? Not good.

Post-flop: He misses. You raise. Hand over. Or at least should be. Just terrible by him here,unless he's putting you on AK or the like.

Turn: Ok,another overcard falls (almost automatic when you have a Deathgrip on 44...............) and he not only stays in on your raise AFTER checking his option to you for a second time,he JAMS. Unbelievable. I just don't see how he can think you're on a draw at this point,the way you played this hand.

Well,if I've ever sat with this guy he did'nt do anything memorable as I have no notes on him.

Scratch that.............HAD no notes on him.

Just really ugly here.

They owe you a few for this one Merc.

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 03:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Definitely a bad beat but I can understand it.

Maybe he looked up your stats and Im not sure where you stand but assume you average maybe 1700 each month (just throwing a figure out there)

I would assume he is just putting you on 2 high cards and he didnt realize what a big hand you had. I can easily see someone with AK or AQ playing a similar way that you did, so if I have pocket 4s and the board is only 9 high then I might think I have the best hand with 44.

I think you need to get it all in on the flop and don't be afraid to take a small pot because ya it sucks when you have them crushed and they fold and you only win a few hundred chips, but it definitely hurts more when you lose it all on a horrible river.

just remember what the great brunson said : "its better to win a small pot than lose a big one"

I sucked out the other day AJ vs KK.
flop was AKQ so he hit a set im drawing pretty dead unless i hit a straight or runner runner
turn is another A so my straight is useless
river was my jack so i get a better boat

pretty sick stuff happens just gotta go with it

Old
Mon Apr 04, 2011, 04:56 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
I average in the 500-1000th place each month. I've gotten $5 and $15 as well some months, but usually I get $3, and it's bad beats like this one that is the cause of it.

Next time I will shove on the flop when I have AA, and then I'll be back here when the bad beat comes, because it will. I've called a bad beat at the table prior to me shoving and it happening and it happened just as I predicted. I'm not folding AA or KK, that isn't happening.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com