Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Does Anyone Play Mixed Games? (And Weather Rants)

Old
Does Anyone Play Mixed Games? (And Weather Rants) - Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Since I'm trying to learn how to play better poker, I've been experimenting with a few new game variants lately. I don't want to detract from my VPP earning crusade this month (which has been having me grinding multiple tables for several hours a day), and I don't want to stop getting better at Hold'em since I'm only really passable at it at the moment, but I think that learning other poker variants will be profitable for me in the long run, and I'd like to have a way to keep myself from getting bored. So, this morning, I entered a $2 8-Game MTT (still in it; writing this during the break), and the idea is just for me to get a feel for all of these games.

I'm wondering if anybody else plays mixed games, and if so, how well do you do? I've heard that even winning poker players can be pretty mediocre at mixed games, because most people are only good at one or two variants of poker, so being a well-rounded mixed game player can be pretty good for the bankroll. Also, if anyone runs any kind of non-Hold'em home game, let me know, because I love to practice, and there really aren't that many tournaments for games besides Hold'em. Even play money games seem thin.

Also, if anyone wants to rant about the weather, feel free to do so here. No particular reason for it, I just thought I'd make this thread appeal to a wider audience than usual.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I am obsessed with mix games. I like full tilt a bit more for them because they have 10 game tables but have been grinding 8game more on stars too. Probably up $750 or so on mix, they are suprisngly easy.It's amazing how many people play games they are clueless about.

Pstars .20/.40 has a massive amount of fish that don't even know the rules of 2-7 td. kaaaching

Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:30 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Pstars .20/.40 has a massive amount of fish that don't even know the rules of 2-7 td. kaaaching
I just caught a guy jamming with a 4-low hand. That qualifies as not knowing how to play, right?

I'm seriously considering trying those games, but I think it would just be a battle of who's the bigger fish at the moment. Really liking this tourney tho. Kinda funny how many people busted as soon as NLHE hit.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:43 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I just caught a guy jamming with a 4-low hand. That qualifies as not knowing how to play, right?

I'm seriously considering trying those games, but I think it would just be a battle of who's the bigger fish at the moment. Really liking this tourney tho. Kinda funny how many people busted as soon as NLHE hit.
Good luck taking it down.

Spend 1 afternoon studying 27 td threads on http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/21/draw-other-poker/

and http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/44/omaha-8/ for LO8

you will be ahead of most players instantly that play the .20/,40 level on stars. I found these two games to give the casual opponent the most problems. Would be interested to hear if others feel the same or notice bigger leaks in the other games it cycles.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:50 AM
(#5)
Whoops. I just jammed aces playing Razz, thinking it was Stud. I don't think mistakes get more amateurish than that. Back to my starting stack.

I'll definitely give those threads a read, and luckily Dave's been running LO8 training sessions, so I'll make sure to drop in if he does more of those. Thanks for the info.

Does FT have more players at its mixed game tables? Not many here on Stars.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#6)
not really, unfortunately. However they do run smaller tables for 8game/10game/horse at 5c/10c

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:10 PM
(#7)
Alright, almost half the field in my MTT is gone, and so far I've learned that I suck at Stud, and I have no idea how to play Draw. I've been robbing pots relentlessly in the NLHE stages though. I've been tightening my play during the game stages that I don't really know how to play to reduce the impact of my skill disadvantage. My stack goes up and down and up and down.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:46 PM
(#8)
Sitting in seventh place at the moment. I actually had first for all of one hand, I think. I'm noticing a lot of godawful errors in my own play, but somehow I'm not losing.

If first prize is $50, and I'm winning even though I don't know how to play at least three variants of the 8-game mix, I do think these games might be profitable. Hm.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:53 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2010
Hi PP

I found a game called RAZZ for play money a couple of months back
Ended up coming in 4th in the tourney of about 1k
I really enjoyed it
Made a welcome change from Hold-Em

spike

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:57 PM
(#10)
Yeah, Raxx is part of the 8-Game mix. Not my best area. :p

Nice win, btw. Waiting on one of those for myself.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:59 PM
(#11)
(Head Trainer)
<3 mixed games.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:18 PM
(#12)
Damn. Busted in 23'rd. 2-7 Triple Draw was my downfall. I made a massive mistake in overvaluing a hand that lost me two thirds of my stack, then I got knocked out holding the third nuts. Oh well.

Definitely reading some articles now. Feel free to keep posting if anyone else <3 mixed games.

Weather sucks in Vancouver right now btw. F*ing sky.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 03:21 PM
(#13)
I've never played Mix games for real money, but I have played a bunch of the freeroll mix game MTT's. Found them to be real fun, I learned a lot and they had me reading strategy for all sorts of games. Thinking about giving a low buy in mix game MTT a try. BTW the weather in San Diego is beautiful sunny and 70 degrees, great weather to have on baseball's opening day.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 03:35 PM
(#14)
Played 8 games a few times
Decided to go play it again
Sat with $10, left after 38 minutes with $12.48

I made 3 HUGE mistakes, each costing me over $2.00
I hadn't noticed that the game had changed, those players must of been laughing

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I play the .1/.2 HORSE tables a lot, they always seem really easy to beat. I don't know how the competition gets when you move up to higher limits though. My basice strategy at horse is to play really tight and just wait for good starting hands. It seems people usually want to play way to many hands and take them way further than they should, so if you start with a good hand it is more likely to end as a good hand and your opponents seem to often keep putting their money in the pot with lesser hands and pay you. I doubt if this tight strategy works well at the higher limits though. I found the books super system 1 and 2 very helpful for 4/5 of the games, no razz section though, but razz is pretty easy if you just remember all the low cards people mucked and only start with 7hi or lower.

-Krazula

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 07:27 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
I just made a mixed home game. ID is 396338 and password is "Pandion haliaetus". Its a very new game and has no members yet, I hope I can get some people to sign up and make the game a sucess. So far I have just a .1/.2 horse table but if people want I can add others.

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 08:44 PM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Played 8 games a few times
Decided to go play it again
Sat with $10, left after 38 minutes with $12.48

I made 3 HUGE mistakes, each costing me over $2.00
I hadn't noticed that the game had changed, those players must of been laughing
Happened to me once playing horse. Couldn't understand why someone kept calling every street, then the pot was split...

It's because we were playing Stud hi/lo... not Stud...

Old
Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:48 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
I had one of those experiences where I was playing the wrong game, I was in razz mode and it just switched to stud. Probably happens to most mixed game players occasionally. I ended up making a wheel on the end, but it was no good lost to a flush.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 04:21 AM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidInFull6 View Post
I've never played Mix games for real money, but I have played a bunch of the freeroll mix game MTT's. Found them to be real fun, I learned a lot and they had me reading strategy for all sorts of games. Thinking about giving a low buy in mix game MTT a try. BTW the weather in San Diego is beautiful sunny and 70 degrees, great weather to have on baseball's opening day.

+1 here IMO. Panicky.

Try each discipline individually in the Astronomer Freerolls and get a handle on it there. They have every game that you would ever run into in any mixed game there,plus some that you would'nt. Now is it time spent that will gain you VPP/FPP's or much (if anything) in the way of money? No,it's not.

But Dave made a point in Dan's thread about how he should go about clearing a bonus that I think is salient here---it does you no real good to clear a bonus if you lose a substantial amount of money doing it. It's not going to do you any good to get a basic handle on these games if you lose a good chunk of BR in doing so.And you said yourself that as of yet you only consider yourself passable at NLHE,so if you get beat down learning a new discipline can you 100% count on your Hold em acumen to recoup the money?

The Astronomers will give you the chance to learn the basics of these games for free.Heck just do one discipline at a time (Stud,Stud Hi/Lo,Razz,Omaha,PLO8,5-card draw....whatever) and play it once a day for a week and you should have the basics down. Sens is right,that will prolly put you ahead of a fair amount of people you see in any mixed game enviroment.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 04:52 AM
(#20)
Thanks, Moxie. I'm definitely going to go for one discipline at a time. I tried looking through 2+2 threads today on every part of 8-Game, and came out feeling like I completely suck at Poker as a whole because of how little I know. I don't like that. So, I'm going to try learning Omaha alongside Hold'em for now, since I think it has the most learning resources available at the moment. And it's a variant of Flop Poker, which I understand to an extent from playing Hold'em. I'm still going to give mixed games a shot on the side, but only for fun.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com