Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Omaha Staple Texts?

Old
Omaha Staple Texts? - Wed Apr 06, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm starting to study other poker variants, and I'm wondering if anyone has read anything they think of as a must-read for Omaha (any variant). At the moment, I'm looking at the Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha series by Jeff Hwang. Looks like Harrington on Hold'em. Sort of like a Hwang on Hold'em (catchy name). Except not Hold'em. Also, the content could be good. Anyway, I'm looking for good reads on Omaha. Talk to me, peeps!

Tried using the search function. Apparently this isn't a thread yet. About time, I guess.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 02:54 AM
(#2)
I've been Googling book reviews and going through 2+2 threads, and it looks like there are a number of good reads on Pot-Limit Omaha Hi, although Hwang's three-book series didn't get a whole lot of mention. One of his earlier books seems popular. It does look like there is a small variety of useful texts, though. I didn't manage to find a lot of reviews though, and I found almost nothing that actually thoroughly reviewed the books. Just a lot of, "This book was good..."

On the other hand, Omaha 8 seems to have very few good resources dedicated to it, and most of what I read seemed to indicate that a lot of what's out there is kind of obsolete, and not useful in beating today's game. I also looked for resources on other 8-Game variants (Stud, 2-7 Draw), and there isn't much.

I guess if there's not a whole lot out there, then not a lot of people will have read anything. I think I might just start ordering books, poring through them, and hopefully learning something in the meantime. I highly doubt any of these books could hurt my game. Maybe I can be PSO's book review guru.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 05:37 AM
(#3)
Alright, I just ordered Pot Limit Omaha Poker: The Big Play Strategy by Jeff Hwang. Apparently it's one of the best PLO books out there. It also has some info on FLO8 and PLO8 that isn't as highly reviewed, since it sounds like it's crammed in at the end, but I'm sure that'll be useful to me as well. It's not in the VIP Store, so I can save my FPP's for something else (different books?). Will get back with a book review in a few weeks, if anyone's interested in it. If not, well, I'll just be kickin' yo azzes at the Omaha tables.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi PP,

Here are some threads on Omaha (think mostly 8 or better) with some good contributions from Poncho.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...egative-lol%29

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ow-Fixed-Limit

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-to-coach-them

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Rolf Slotboom's PLO stuff is good too Panicky.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
There is an internet radio program called rounders radio, on it there is a program called The EV hour hosted by Art Beuchamp, who is considered to be one of the Omaha players in the world. Most of his shows are on pod casts and he talks explicitly about Omaha, and Omaha O8.

Also there is new book that has just been released called Mastering Omaha8 poker that deals specifically about Hi/lo Omaha I believe it is the only book every written just on the subject of hi/lo Omaha. It is written by Mark Tenner who is one of the best O8 players in the world. He gives many seminars around the country every year. I have not yet got this book but soon will be getting it.

I also like the book Pot limit Omaha poker by Jeff Hwang.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 11:34 PM
(#7)
Thanks annie and EA2, I'll check out the links and the radio program later (tired right now). I've heard of Rounders Radio, I've just never checked it out yet.

I just checked out Slotboom's book reviews. He wrote the highest-rated Omaha book on his list. I'll definitely read some of his stuff, I just don't know what to start with.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com