Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Betting size

Old
Betting size - Wed Apr 06, 2011, 03:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
My goal this week is to satellite into the women's $55 Sunday tournament. (There are normally at least 2 pros playing in this tournament)

Generally when I raise a pot I bet 3bb. I know that at higher stakes players opening bets are for the most part between 2-3bb and I was wondering if my 3bb bet would be a tell that I don't usually play at such high stakes.

I know people can look my stats up but wasn't sure if this was something I should consider changing in my game.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 03:17 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
As the blinds go up start drawing back your betsizing from 3xBB to 2.3-2.6xbb
It will save you chips when some one shoves and you have to fold.

A lot of coaches say to start scaling back at the 75/150 lvl but I find its a little to early and usually start the next blind lvl.

People still betting 3xbb are usually not advanced players or betting that size against some one that cant read bet sizing.Its some thing you develop as you play more,since a lot of it is little details
that you pick up at a table.

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Good luck crz! I won a seat a couple of weeks ago, then didn't get to play! Argh! Gonna try again though!

Old
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 09:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Thanks for the response Cookies - I really appreciate it and will definitely look to adjust this part of my game.

GL to you too erin! I didn't realize you were at my table earlier or would have said hi. Hope to see you on Sunday.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:12 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Sorry for hijacking this somewhat, but this is something I have been trying to work on and I have a few questions. Right now, my method is a pretty scruffy 2.5x when it looks likes Im dealing with a shovefest. It needs work lol. So, questions...

When is it actually correct to start scaling back? Surely it cant be a set rule of "5th of 6th level"? Is it set by stack sizes (both yours and theirs), tightness of the table, your image?

How do you go about transitioning the size of your raise, or is it not important? For example, if Im raising 3x, then all of a sudden the level goes up and next hand Im raising x2.2 then doesnt that look a bit fishy? Isn't it just an invite to shove over the top knowing that it's essentially a preservation attempt against that?

Finally, how do you decide on the actual size? ie what constitutes whether you raise 2.2 or 2.3? Is it just a product of the quick maths you would do at the the table with say 75/150 blinds?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by tomrankin51; Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 05:51 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 08:40 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Chris Ferguson sizes his opening bet like this. EP = 2 times,,,MP = 2.5x, and LP=3x. He does this consistantly because he feels that his opponents can never really put him on a hand. They don't know if he has AA or 89s. He dosn't give away hand strenght or intention for the hand...

That's one method of sizing your opening bet.

>Dem

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:33 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMONTIS7 View Post
Chris Ferguson sizes his opening bet like this. EP = 2 times,,,MP = 2.5x, and LP=3x. He does this consistantly because he feels that his opponents can never really put him on a hand. They don't know if he has AA or 89s. He dosn't give away hand strenght or intention for the hand...

That's one method of sizing your opening bet.

>Dem
i can see this working well at cash tables cause blinds dont go up.how and when would you apply this to tourneys?my normal bet size at cash tables is 3 or 4x bb.in tourneys its 4x for the early blinds and at 75/150 its 3x big blind.and after bubble depending on my chip count my bet will be 3x or 4x or push.i cant read bet sizing really never even thought of it.but after reading this thread some players must me reading me.what should i change?any and all comments are welcome.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:43 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Some poker players like to stick to the same bet when it comes to pre-flop raising. The reason why is because they don’t want to vary bet sizes based on cards and position since they think opponents will eventually notice a pattern. For example, instead of making a raise worth 6 times the big blind (6xBB) in late position with QQ and a 3xBB raise with JJ in early position, you stick to a raise worth 4xBB from any position every time. Players who use this strategy also like to throw in an extra big blind or two when limpers are out in front to limit the number of players in the pot.

In any case, using the same pre-flop raise is nice because nobody will be able to read you based on position and cards this way. But even with this benefit, there are also some downsides to sticking with the same pre-flop raise in that it won’t always accomplish your goal.

For instance, if you’re trying to force others to fold and isolate one player, raising 4xBB won’t always limit the field. In fact, you still could get two or three callers, which renders your plan useless. Another problem associated with using a standard pre-flop raise is that it might be too large and force other players to fold. For example, if you always make a pre-flop raise worth 6xBB, this could scare everybody out of the hand when you’re trying to get at least one caller.

So what’s the solution? How about changing your pre-flop bet sizes based on how the table is reacting. For instance, if there are a ton of calling stations at your table and you want to isolate somebody, push your pre-flop raise up a few big blinds. If the table is too tight and people are folding to 5xBB raises, lower your pre-flop raise to 3xBB or 4xBB.

The key is that you need to switch things up and try something different rather than running into a brick wall with the same pre-flop raises.

>Dem

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:02 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMONTIS7 View Post
Some poker players like to stick to the same bet when it comes to pre-flop raising. The reason why is because they don’t want to vary bet sizes based on cards and position since they think opponents will eventually notice a pattern. For example, instead of making a raise worth 6 times the big blind (6xBB) in late position with QQ and a 3xBB raise with JJ in early position, you stick to a raise worth 4xBB from any position every time. Players who use this strategy also like to throw in an extra big blind or two when limpers are out in front to limit the number of players in the pot.

In any case, using the same pre-flop raise is nice because nobody will be able to read you based on position and cards this way. But even with this benefit, there are also some downsides to sticking with the same pre-flop raise in that it won’t always accomplish your goal.

For instance, if you’re trying to force others to fold and isolate one player, raising 4xBB won’t always limit the field. In fact, you still could get two or three callers, which renders your plan useless. Another problem associated with using a standard pre-flop raise is that it might be too large and force other players to fold. For example, if you always make a pre-flop raise worth 6xBB, this could scare everybody out of the hand when you’re trying to get at least one caller.

So what’s the solution? How about changing your pre-flop bet sizes based on how the table is reacting. For instance, if there are a ton of calling stations at your table and you want to isolate somebody, push your pre-flop raise up a few big blinds. If the table is too tight and people are folding to 5xBB raises, lower your pre-flop raise to 3xBB or 4xBB.

The key is that you need to switch things up and try something different rather than running into a brick wall with the same pre-flop raises.

>Dem
thank you sir,that brick wall gets me.i do add a blind or 2 when my cards tell me too cause i want to push players out but keep 1 or 2 at the same time.i see now that my big leak is not knowing when/where/ how to switch it up without giving a tell.but maybe that dont matter.now that i think about it on cash tables and in tourneys after the bubble i get sucked in to a big hand or the nuts and i dont see it because the other player switch it up and i did not pick up on it and get busted.thank you for showing me a big hole in my game.just have to work on filling that hole not sure how but have to work at it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com