Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

I don't feel like a donk, but......... maybe

Old
Smile
I don't feel like a donk, but......... maybe - Wed Apr 06, 2011, 08:50 PM
(#1)
Slayer Aces's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
BronzeStar
The term "donk" floats around rather freely at these PSO tables. Almost as much as it does in a 180 player SNG. The thing I don't get, is why people say you're a donk if you call A,10 and win against their pocket 9's, or if a person calls the BB on a 10,4 suited then they're a donk. I mean, the bottom line, after all the odds and outs are figured and the percentages are in, is if ya think ya have the best hand then check, call or raise. And what's wrong with limping into the pot if everyone is gonna let ya? So, what's all the bashing about. People act like there is only one way to play no limit holdem. I just can't believe that. What works for one person doesn't mean that it will work for everyone else. They say that the tight/aggressive player is the best kind of player, but it seems you can only be aggressive with certain cards in a certain position to be considered a "real" poker player. What about all the other stuff like reading your opponents and how many people are in the pot and what the stack sizes are. What about when ya get crap in the poket on yer BB and then hit a set or straight on the flop or get a nice flush draw? Is that donk poker too if ya bet or raise? I realize that some.... even a lot of people don't really play all that well, but if not being able to acurately figure odds or outs means that you're a donk player regardless of everything else..... then I must be one. I don't claim to be a pro or better than anyone else in the PSO, but I also know that they aren't much better than me either. If it were otherwise, I don't think they would be wasting their time fooling with pennies, points and prizes. Either way, it's still just a game which I am convinced has more than one way to win. The statistics say that luck plays a very small percentage in winning hands. I guess that sucks for all us donkeys.
 
Old
Default
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 08:59 PM
(#2)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

donkey.

hiccup
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:01 AM
(#3)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,226
BronzeStar
That's harsh sug. He appears to have put some thought into that post.

Will the stats tell me different?
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:03 AM
(#4)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,226
BronzeStar
Okay. You win
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:07 AM
(#5)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
That's harsh sug. He appears to have put some thought into that post.

Will the stats tell me different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Okay. You win
Sometimes the truth is harsh.
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:27 AM
(#6)
Fillmore 59's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
Play hands selectively based on position. Take some time to learn about outs and probabilities and pot odds. They're really not hard to figure.

And yes, take your shot with 7/4 suited when you get a freebie in the big blind. You may hit a home run. You never know.

Learn all you can about the game. That should distance you from the donkeys.
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:38 AM
(#7)
Ace King 61's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 421
BronzeStar
Hmmm....negative 100+ points in 76 games last month. I can see why you are being called a donk.

Donk is short for donkey...a term used for bad players that play ATC (any 2 cards) and hope to get lucky with their trash cards. Obviously the way you are playing isn't working very well. What do you think?

Oh and BTW...I don't play for pennies. I play for points that bring the big $$$$$$ at the end of the month.

Last edited by Ace King 61; Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 12:40 AM..
 
Old
Default
Reply - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:40 AM
(#8)
joy7108's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,287
You're kidding right???
 
Old
Default
?? - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 01:01 AM
(#9)
monkeyskunk4's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,818
Doyle Brunson is famous for this quote-- "if i could have the button every hand, I wouldnt have to look at my cards, and still turn a profit" poker is about position, atc fishing may win you a hand now and again, but in the long run, you will lose-- and ty for being that way---- !!!!
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 01:12 AM
(#10)
Deleted user
I play for the sexual thrill,oh wait I mean cookies.
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 01:32 AM
(#11)
Fillmore 59's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
What all your "friends" in the Forum are trying to tell you is this: In order to not be included among the "Donks" you really need to work on your game. You put in the time, the practice, and get the education, then you become a better player. You don't have to be at the bottom of the League.

Wild and crazy, hyper-aggressive, ATC Hold'em isn't really a viable style of play. It might be fun in the moment, but the joyride is only short term. The results are finally disappointing.

I don't think anyone wants you to feel like a "Donk." My advice: Don't play like one either.
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:13 AM
(#12)
Mmmm Fish's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 705
BronzeStar
I’m a donkey, but at least I am able to understand the point Slayer Aces was trying to make in his very first post in the forum. Why do the PSO “Skill” League players throw the term “donk” around much more than the players on this site who are playing for real money? Ten replies before this one and no answered yet.

Seriously, I am a donkey. I know I'm a donkey and I am cofortable in my donkey skin. First thing I noticed when I came into the "Skill" League was the large number of players with big ears, four hoofs and a tail. You would think I would feel right at home, but I was amazed at how many of them kept braying, “look at the donk. He’s a donk. The donk did this. The donk did that. Etc.” I’m standing with all four of my hooves in donkey poop and watching a field full of donkeys calling each other donkey. The amusement factor wore off pretty quickly and now it is just grating.

You do not learn anything when you call someone a donk. In fact, when you call someone a donk, you skip a possible learning opportunity. Poker is far from figuring out which two cards outrank which two other cards. Poker, as it is meant to be played, is figuring out your opponent. When someone at your table makes a bad play, stop for a moment and try to figure out why he thought it might be a good play.

Slayer is right, there are many different ways to play no limit hold’em and there are many different reasons why someone comes into this league. My all time favorite was when I saw one of the “Skill” League regulars call a top player (he had his stars turned off) on this site a donk. The player was here just after PokerStars announced the PSO player who finished highest in the Sunday Million would score the $12,000 added value package. I’m guessing the “donk” was just suffering through his four PSO matches because he thought “why not scoop up the extra $12K if he goes the distance in the tourney he plays every week anyway.

So I will toss the question out again. Why do you think, the people in the PSO use the term “donk” more frequently than the players who are playing for medium to high stakes on this site?
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:57 AM
(#13)
johannfl's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 169
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
I’m a donkey, but at least I am able to understand the point Slayer Aces was trying to make in his very first post in the forum. Why do the PSO “Skill” League players throw the term “donk” around much more than the players on this site who are playing for real money? Ten replies before this one and no answered yet.

Seriously, I am a donkey. I know I'm a donkey and I am cofortable in my donkey skin. First thing I noticed when I came into the "Skill" League was the large number of players with big ears, four hoofs and a tail. You would think I would feel right at home, but I was amazed at how many of them kept braying, “look at the donk. He’s a donk. The donk did this. The donk did that. Etc.” I’m standing with all four of my hooves in donkey poop and watching a field full of donkeys calling each other donkey. The amusement factor wore off pretty quickly and now it is just grating.

You do not learn anything when you call someone a donk. In fact, when you call someone a donk, you skip a possible learning opportunity. Poker is far from figuring out which two cards outrank which two other cards. Poker, as it is meant to be played, is figuring out your opponent. When someone at your table makes a bad play, stop for a moment and try to figure out why he thought it might be a good play.

Slayer is right, there are many different ways to play no limit hold’em and there are many different reasons why someone comes into this league. My all time favorite was when I saw one of the “Skill” League regulars call a top player (he had his stars turned off) on this site a donk. The player was here just after PokerStars announced the PSO player who finished highest in the Sunday Million would score the $12,000 added value package. I’m guessing the “donk” was just suffering through his four PSO matches because he thought “why not scoop up the extra $12K if he goes the distance in the tourney he plays every week anyway.

So I will toss the question out again. Why do you think, the people in the PSO use the term “donk” more frequently than the players who are playing for medium to high stakes on this site?

I thought Filmore was was gonna be the only one in this league to say something constructive, and be helpful and not hurtful. Glad I was wrong.
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#14)
Sandtrap777's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
...............So I will toss the question out again. Why do you think, the people in the PSO use the term “donk” more frequently than the players who are playing for medium to high stakes on this site?
Very simple
Because there's more donkeys at PSO
The majority of donkeys are found on freerolls and $5 or less

I've checked my notes on slayer (all were in March)
I've played 3 games with him sitting at my table and I can say that he is a donkey (huge one)
He can talk about all the basic knowledge, but haven't seen him put it in practice
 
Old
Default
?? - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:05 AM
(#15)
monkeyskunk4's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,818
i have -- never called anyone a donkey- search the forum on the term-- IDCAPS-
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:29 AM
(#16)
DEMONTIS7's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 209
BronzeStar
I play for the sheer pleasure of getting pounded when I'm in an inferior position,,,at least that's what my last girlfriend told me.,,,,oh, I love it when it hurts
>Dem
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:39 AM
(#17)
Mmmm Fish's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 705
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Very simple
Because there's more donkeys at PSO
The majority of donkeys are found on freerolls and $5 or less

I've checked my notes on slayer (all were in March)
I've played 3 games with him sitting at my table and I can say that he is a donkey (huge one)
He can talk about all the basic knowledge, but haven't seen him put it in practice
You are completely missing the point Sandtrap. Your point seems to be, if someone is a donkey, it is okay to call them a donkey. And if YOU think they are a donkey, then they are one. I couldn’t disagree with you more.

1) It is rude to call someone a donk (like you just did by the way).
2) It isn’t good for poker. True poker players, would never call attention to someone’s play that way. They want players with less skill to feel comfortable and enjoy the game.
3) The players at the higher limits do not call the lesser players a donk as much as the people in the PSO do.
4) The people in the PSO often are mistaken when they call someone a donk. (For example, many of the regular top 98 players have been called a donk for using the clock to stall.)

I think the players in the PSO use the term donk more than other places in the site because they don’t understand the game as well.
 
Old
Default
donkeys - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:12 PM
(#18)
ronh1967's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 376
i doesnt matter what stakes you play theres donkeys in all stakes and games
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:16 PM
(#19)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,226
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm Fish View Post
I think the players in the PSO use the term donk more than other places in the site because they don’t understand the game as well.
Never mind understanding the game. They don't even understand the terminology. Most seem to think that a donk is anybody that beats them with an inferior starting hand. Always makes me chuckle
 
Old
Default
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:33 PM
(#20)
Mmmm Fish's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 705
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Never mind understanding the game. They don't even understand the terminology. Most seem to think that a donk is anybody that beats them with an inferior starting hand. Always makes me chuckle
Exactly! To take it a step further, whenever they get beat by a play they wouldn’t make or a play they don’t understand. And when they shout “donk” it is usually from the rail.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com