Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Table image Vs. Table presence ?

Old
Table image Vs. Table presence ? - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Any thoughts??-- mine are this- to establish a table presence- means winning pots at showdown--to establish table image-----????

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:10 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2010
BronzeStar
so many aspects to it and i believe extremely important. i believe i better read up and study before i make any statements. but good topic

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
This is one of them topics that I know what a table image is, but I would like to think deeper into the subject to figure out how to establish one and how to know when your opponents have an image about you. I have noticed in the past that if I played very aggressively most of my opponents would tighten up. Even the "maniac" player would tighten up against me. This is a good starting thread, hope to see it evolve!

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I've been thinking a lot about table image lately. It is easy to manipulate your table image when you first sit down at a table. I like to play super tight agressive for the first 15 minutes, only playing premium hands, in position if I can help it. This makes it easier on me while I get all my tables up and running, The way I look at it, I'm taking this time to build respect for my bets and raises. I then switch over to my normal strategy which is much more loose aggressive. Everyone will catch on eventually that I am playing looser, but I feel theres a certain amount of respect still left. On the other hand, if I play my usual loose aggressive style from the very first hand everyone will immidiately notice so and lower their respect for my bets and raises. This can be good if I am running hot, but if I am running bad and missing every flop I get destroyed. If people see me playing loose from the start they go into this no respect, assume I have any two mentalitly.

The first 15-20 minutes at a table can really drill an image into the head of your opponents. I guess think about what you want your opponents to think. If your ultra TAG, then maybe try playing much looser for the first 15 minutes. Keep the pots small when you don't flop strong and establish a loose image. The players will respect your bets/raises less and you will get paid more when you revert back to ultra TAG. Table image can be used to manipulate your opponents. A large degree of your table image is under your control, but some of it is from how well you are running at the time(luck). If you miss every flop and your opponents hit every flop strongly it is going to make your table image lean towards 'weak player' even though your not playing weak at all.

Try to be aware of your table image at all times. If everyone is folding to your preflop raise over and over, loosen up because you have a tight image. If everyone calls your c-bet on the flop, your not being given much respect so tighten up pre and post flop when you miss, and when you hit the flop hard try and get extra value.

I find the worst thing I can do is when I am running bad I try to fight through it. Some nights I'll just miss every single flop and everyone else hits it seems like. So I try to go against the flow of the game and continue to bet loosely and try to take pots down. My table image quickly gets destroyed and it gets to the point where I can't win a single hand without flopping the nuts. Respond to the flow of the game and your table image will shift to a more profitable position.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:23 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Aggressive players must use their poker image to their advantage. Being aggressive angers your opponents. In most cases being aggressive pays off. When you actually pick up a hand your opponents will be so frustrated by previous play that they will play stubborn. By playing stubborn I mean that a player will be tired of folding their mediocre hands and call. Play your hand the same way: bet, bet, and bet again.

>Dem

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:50 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
You dont have to be aggressive all the time and switching it up is the key.
I play Tag,so I am Tight preflop and aggressive when I am in a hand.

Early on setting a image takes a lot of factors,so I will give some examples of small things I do.

-Out of position headsup on the river with the nuts early in a tourney when the blinds are nothing,I will check the nuts to my opponent.It doesnt matter what your opponent does now because you will establish a image.He bets you raise him and show you can be tricky.This will have observing players trying to keep pots small against you later on out of fear you are slow playing them.
He checks instead of betting you now have showed down that you are willing to check the river to trap which will also get you cheap showdowns.Of course you will have some people note you as passive with the nuts and that helps as well,because later on you wont be.

-Folding the sb when folded to.
The BB will remember this when you start beating up hs blinds later on and give you credit for having a hand.This is a very broad play though and doesnt always work.But it establishes a nit image for people noting early on even if the BB isnt to observant.

-Folding BB to that guy that steals 66% of the time from late position.
He may get a nice stack going early but quite often these players do not switch gears and realize
you have changed your play.So its like a investment at a bank that you can withdraw later.

Will post some more,but I got to run out for a bit.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 01:03 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Just to add a little onto that,,,,,don't go broke creating a table image for yourself, while it is very useful to be able to influence your opponents play, it is even more important to increase the size of your stack; a strong table image is nothing if you have no bankroll left to exploit it.

>Dem

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
You dont have to be aggressive all the time and switching it up is the key.
I play Tag,so I am Tight preflop and aggressive when I am in a hand.

Early on setting a image takes a lot of factors,so I will give some examples of small things I do.

-Out of position headsup on the river with the nuts early in a tourney when the blinds are nothing,I will check the nuts to my opponent.It doesnt matter what your opponent does now because you will establish a image.He bets you raise him and show you can be tricky.This will have observing players trying to keep pots small against you later on out of fear you are slow playing them.
He checks instead of betting you now have showed down that you are willing to check the river to trap which will also get you cheap showdowns.Of course you will have some people note you as passive with the nuts and that helps as well,because later on you wont be.

-Folding the sb when folded to.
The BB will remember this when you start beating up hs blinds later on and give you credit for having a hand.This is a very broad play though and doesnt always work.But it establishes a nit image for people noting early on even if the BB isnt to observant.

-Folding BB to that guy that steals 66% of the time from late position.
He may get a nice stack going early but quite often these players do not switch gears and realize
you have changed your play.So its like a investment at a bank that you can withdraw later.

Will post some more,but I got to run out for a bit.
has any one else noticed- that the dirty cookie- ALWAYS mentions POSITION -- in his posts??

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:31 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
CASH TABLES
I sit and play TAG first couple of orbits to get a feel for the table then change gears depending on the table play. Usually play opposite of the table. TAG table LAG shirshot unless there is
resistance from a player.

TOURNEY'S
I like to start tourney's playing loose min bet's/call's even calling a small river raise knowing I'm
beat to create a bad player image. Blinds are small so you won't cost much.
This image pay's off big when you get a big hand because people will call you to the river with marginal hands.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
(#10)
l have to update my notes...............hiccup

otis

Old
??? - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:20 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
CASH TABLES
I sit and play TAG first couple of orbits to get a feel for the table then change gears depending on the table play. Usually play opposite of the table. TAG table LAG shirshot unless there is
resistance from a player.

TOURNEY'S
I like to start tourney's playing loose min bet's/call's even calling a small river raise knowing I'm
beat to create a bad player image. Blinds are small so you won't cost much.
This image pay's off big when you get a big hand because people will call you to the river with marginal hands.
changing gears -- well put !!

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:45 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
You should want to project a table image that will make recreational players feel comfortable and want to come back and play with you again. So take some advice from ol Jack Burton and the Pork Chop Express,,,, loosen up and have some fun.

>Dem

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 06:46 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
l have to update my notes...............hiccup

otis
Leave me marked as Super Donk.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 08:57 AM
(#14)
Since: May 2010
BronzeStar
otis. lol nice eff

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com