Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Did i play this right?

Old
Did i play this right? - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Thread name self explanatory, was this a good way of playing it? was there a better way?

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:25 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
I don't really understand what you actually mean by was there another way to play this? You weren't considering folding were you?

You were only given two options on how to play it. Call the all-in or fold. You have 4 big blinds left with your stack size. Folding is never an option with this short of a stack when holding a premium hand such as KK. 100% correct call. If instead it had been folded to you, shove all-in with KK every single time. You are too short to play it any other way. Don't let the fact that you unded up losing fool you. You were way ahead preflop and you will be the vast majority of the time, even with someone shoving before you.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
You really only have two choices call or fold and you would think that you are getting Headsup most of the time.Some players cant fold any two cards.If this is PSO than you know that trottie989 isnt folding based on his stack.We have a lot of members that love to push any thing and laugh when they suck out.Thats how they get their kicks.Strange but seems like we got a lot of them.

Even if you know the Big blind is calling behind,you should be getting it in.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#4)
thanks guys. just that im still relatively new to playing live poker, and its been bugging me a bit in a "what if the one of the next 4 hands i could of won a big hand" kind of way.

thanks for the input anyway.

Last edited by havocofsmeg; Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
thanks guys. just that im still relatively new to playing live poker, and its been bugging me a bit in a "what if the one of the next 4 hands i could of a big hand" kind of way.

thanks for the input anyway.
You're not gonna get a much bigger hand than KK. In fact, you're only going to get one bigger hand.

While it may not be ideal to be in a 3-way pot in that situation, you can't wait for the "perfect" hand to get your chips in.

When you start getting short on chips, you really need to start factoring in more than just your hole cards. You need to be aware of the tendencies and stacks of other players, the action before you, and your position. You might be able to push with a much weaker holding and double up. Just remember you can't wait too long.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
+1

Old
Smile
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:06 PM
(#7)
Thanks fella's, one niggling worry i can kick out of my head.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:08 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2010
With pocket KK and only a 4 bigs stack I'd be giving thanks to the diety of my choice for the opportunity put in my hands. If the shove didn't work out, I'd switch to a more powerful diety.

No question. I'm all-in, baby!

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 06:56 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
Thanks fella's, one niggling worry i can kick out of my head.
That is a BIG hang up of "learning" what is the right thing to do when you first start to play "seriously" HavocofSmeg...

Mike Caro says: "In the beginning, ALL things are equal"

Sometimes you do the WRONG thing, and win the pot.

Without some outside info source, like books, or live training sessions, or even these forums, if you have no other information except what you as a new player "knows", you probably CONTINUE doing that "wron" thing over and over.

End Result: You LOSE far more than you win.

Sometimes you do the RIGHT thing (like here ), and you LOSE the pot.

Those "niggling doubts" can very easily cause you to "seize up" this same situation in the future, and you end up doing the wrong thing...folding.

Don't let the "negative feedback loop" of poker learning smack you in the face, and lead you into bad habits. Keep popping in here, keep reading, and keep watching Dave (TheLangolier's) live training sessions...all these things will tend to either confirm or deny the validity of your decisions.

In this one though, you did EXACTLY the right thing.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#10)
Deleted user
Ok thats two of you now using the word niggles and I even had to look it up,didnt think it was a actual word.Guess I learnt a new word today.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com