Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Tilt Hand

Old
Tilt Hand - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
I ran into this hand while I was 4-tabling 25NL. Hadn't been at the table long. After I was raised on the river, the tilt began. I just ended the session after this hand and took a break. I'd like to know what you guys think of my line, and whether or not my call on the river was good. I wasn't putting the guy on a set here, but like I said, I hadn't really gotten any reads.

I think the reason sets weren't really likely in my head was because I was only flatted on the turn. On the river, I considered a check/call line, but I decided against it because I assumed that there was nothing better than my hand in my opponent's range. I suppose that's where the tilt started, because I was snap-raised on the river, which means that I was wrong in my assumptions. So I guess I'm mostly wondering if my river call was a tilt call, and if I should have raise/folded.

Thanks guys!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($39.37)
MP ($25)
Button ($37.76)
Panicky (SB) ($25.61)
Villain (BB) ($26.46)

Preflop: Panicky is SB with Q, J
3 folds, Panicky bets $0.65, Villain calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) J, Q, 7 (2 players)
Panicky bets $0.62, Villain calls $0.62

Turn: ($2.54) 4 (2 players)
Panicky checks, Villain bets $1.75, Panicky raises to $4, Villain calls $2.25

River: ($10.54) 10 (2 players)
Panicky bets $5.01, Villain raises to $13, Panicky calls $7.99

Total pot: $36.54 | Rake: $1.80

Results below:
Panicky mucked Qc, Jh (two pair, Queens and Jacks).
Villain had 8c, 9h (straight, Queen high).
Outcome: Villain won $34.74

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
It's tough Panicky, the guy calls your check raise on the turn then raises the river, this is pretty much always going to be a super strong hand. Would he do this with QT? that's about all you're beating imo. I don't like check-raising the turn then checking the river, I think as played the river is either a bet fold or a bet call.

Not a fan of the check/raise on the turn though, why risk giving a free card and missing out a street of value? There are so many worse hands in the villains range, we're missing value too often checking the turn. Would definitely prefer a bet bet bet line here with top 2, I think that's the best way to maximize value long term.

Dave

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Because of the strength of your hand it is going to be really hard to fold it at any point during this hand. Betting out on the turn may have been a better line to take, make him pay if he is chasing an open ender draw or a flush draw. Plus, if he reraises you then it is going to throw up some red flags. If he calls your turn bet, you could then check-call on the river. It gives him a chance to bluff with hands like 9T, KT, or a missed flush. It also minimizes your losses if he has a set, assuming he makes a reasonable river value bet.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:15 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Betting out on the turn may have been a better line to take, make him pay if he is chasing an open ender draw or a flush draw.
Not just draws, we can get value from KQ, weaker queens, AJ, stuff like that which may often check behind the turn but will not fold if we bet.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:51 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Don't forget about AQ, yes, you got unlucky they had a set, but I could see their betting pattern with AQ or maybe KQ suited too.

I liked the bet on the river, as you needed to follow up the check/raise and I'd have probably called the river raise too.

I haven't played the 25NL tables, only 2/4 and 5/10.... but... don't know how much info you had on them, but there are alot of people on those that would chase with AK, hoping to hit one of them or a 10 on the river. If I think they could have pulled that, I might have bet/folded it.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 09:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Would he do this with QT? that's about all you're beating imo.
No, I don't think he'd do this w/ QT. Most players would only call with any hand weaker than a set here. I suppose I should have bet/folded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Not a fan of the check/raise on the turn though, why risk giving a free card and missing out a street of value?
Because a lot of people at this level like to float, then just fold if bet at on the turn. I just assumed that worse would bet, unless they had absolutely nothing, in which case I wasn't worried about a free card making a difference. I wanted to extract a second bet, and that's all I thought I would be getting. That was my thinking at the time, but you guys are all right in pointing out that there was a lot worse that could call me here.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 12:56 AM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Yes, but blind v blind is a different beast, no one gives you any credit in these spots (aejones lol). They won't only call with hands weaker than a set specifically because it's blind v blind. I mean some players will sure, but many will be more aggressive with 1 pair hands and certainly with 2 pair.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com