Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

How bad a read was this?

Old
How bad a read was this? - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

This is a PSO league game, level 2. I feel fine with how I played this hand pre flop and flop, but the turn I'm not so sure about. Figured the calls before were in hope of hitting and ace or king, or maybe they, like me, had hit a queen with smaller kicker. Figured ARB30's minimum raise was to intimidate me into folding, and his all in was a desperate attempt to force me out. figured remaining players maybe hit a smaller pair hoping to hit a set, or as before had a ace or king, and hoping to hit those.

Thanks in advance.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
For the 2nd level of a PSO tourney, where you need to avoid an early exit at all costs, this hand really needs to be folded preflop, as it's way too speculative. There are too many hands out there that people will be playing that are ahead of you.... AQ, KQ suited, lower pairs that can turn into sets.... along with people that shouldn't be in the hand at all that could hit two pair (like the villian did). Someone that would hit 2 pair on this flop would either need to be in the blinds and see it for free, or will be gone by mid/late tourney, as they play too many bad hands.

If it's later in a tourney and if the cards are suited, then you need to see if you hit a part or more of it. This early, it's not worth the risk.

With seeing the flop on this one, I do like the raise after the flop (as it gives you a good idea where you're at for not that many chips).... BUT... when 3 people call it, you have to know that you're behind and don't put anymore chips into the pot. The only hands that should be calling your 3 bet there is a set of 3's, 7's or Q's or a Q with a higher kicker than you, as there are no flush or open-ended straight draws available.

Even if you put arb on a raise to get rid of you, you still have 2 others that you need to consider also.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey havoc ! Not so sure why we are fine with our preflop play here unfortunately . We are overlimping EP which is gonna invite a whole lot of limper and we are gonna be OOP the whole hand with a marginal holding that plays real poorly deep stacked OOP multi handed.

We either iso 4x or 5x or fold pre imo. What this will do is gonna thin the field down and maybe buy us the button.

As played we really want to hit big or fold. Once we raise the flop and get like 4 callers i mean we shouldnt be putting any more chips in that pot let alone stack off ~75x. We are almost never ahead in this situation even in a PSO setting! At best we could call his turn min bet hoping to hit a jack or another queen but even then its very marginal

As you stated a lot of players will have PP set mining and the turn also brings a straight. Lucky for us we werent drawing dead apparently.

We have one pair with mediocre kicker 5 handed lets not get overly confident here.

Hope this helps!

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 12:03 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
For the 2nd level of a PSO tourney, where you need to avoid an early exit at all costs, this hand really needs to be folded preflop, as it's way too speculative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damen1 View Post
As played we really want to hit big or fold. Once we raise the flop and get like 4 callers i mean we shouldnt be putting any more chips in that pot let alone stack off ~75x. We are almost never ahead in this situation even in a PSO setting! !
Uggggh ... I'm really struggling with playing in the more active tables of the PSO league. 6 people limped into this hand - even after a raise there were 4 people left? Playing stuff like 57o, Q7o, Q6o ...

My stats are ridculous - either I make the money or I'm out in the first half hour. I'm gonna try to keep this in mind - be a little more cautious, patient ...

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 05:33 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You're in a multiway limped pot. You flop top pair, okay kicker. First guy minbets and you make a small raise. Your raise is called all around. This should be an alarm. Just get out. Unless you pair your kicker, chances are your hand is worthless (or you're not getting paid off). You had only the 2nd worst hand when the money went in.

When I play hand like JQ in the early levels (rarely) I'm looking to flop huge and stack a fish. Gotta be two pair or better to get my stack in...and even two pair is dangerous, as any AKT can make a straight. Unless you're in a heads-up pot, top pair usually isn't great this early. Fold the turn and preserve your stack.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 02:53 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
Thanks for the insight, guys. This should help improve my game.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com