Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

People Allining in Freerolls

Old
People Allining in Freerolls - Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
I'm trying to start a bankroll without depositing anything but I'm running into a problem, in every freeroll I enter about half the people all in, which puts me really behind (like 20000) chips and the only way I find to catch up is to join the all-in and get lucky. Does anyone have any other tips that could help me?

Ty in advance : )

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyoats View Post
I'm trying to start a bankroll without depositing anything but I'm running into a problem, in every freeroll I enter about half the people all in, which puts me really behind (like 20000) chips and the only way I find to catch up is to join the all-in and get lucky. Does anyone have any other tips that could help me?

Ty in advance : )
Get used to it. Shove monkeys exist on all levels of play.

Just sit back and wait for your chance to take chips off of them with a premium hand.

And remember that you will lose some of the time, and move on when it happens.

Old
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:50 PM
(#3)
watch how they play..I notice the shove monkeys show their cards,,,when they do that NOTE THEIR BUTTS!!! If they double super fast , don't let it tilt you..... that is a big trap players fall into..nothing wrong with folding K-Q , you want to call but save the fight for the right spot....maybe K-Q will win.....not sure of your playing style so ....i will leave the rest for better players than me to put better input. GL and hear what the top players have to say!
-Dry

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 12:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I would say reconsider, and if it is in any way feasable, make a deposit. If you enjoy playing, it will be money well spent. I say spent, cause it probobly wont be your last deposit. But, like any hobby I can think of, it's not free. But what really is? Of course your goal should be to win and make a profit; show a return on your inestment, but that will come in time.

Lets say your hobby is playing guitar. Playing most freerolls (skill league exception) vs. like, (even a relatively small) an $11 tourney is like playing a $99 japanese fake strat on a $20 practice amp vs. playing a $6000 custom gibson les paul on a marshall stack. It's night and day. Not as many donks is an understatement, and so much more exciting when you have cash on the line and have the possibility of really cashing decent $. Now is playing that tourney a great investment cash wise for most people? No. But it's a blast.

Now if you HAVE a bankroll, and want to manage and increase it, that's a different story. Probobly finding the game you are best at and playing at a level relative to your bankroll size is a start. I seem to have no problem consistently coming out ahead w/ the 50/50 sit n go's, but most people here are more qualifies than me on that subject.

Sorry, but I have absolutely no realistic tips on building a sizeable bankroll on freerolls.

cheers and gl. johann.

P.S. When i was a whitestar paying pso skill (last month) I did win .50 for coming in 5th or 8th cant remeb. anyway played the .25 /180 entrant tourney (i think it was si n go), and won like 2.50. Then played micro ring game. Got up to $6.50 or so. I really like tournaments so spent that on a tourney and lost. Anyway thats as close as I came to doing it from scratch, and I didn't wanna go through all that again, so I made a deposit.

Last edited by johannfl; Fri Apr 08, 2011 at 01:41 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 01:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Keep your eyes on the forum. Many of our members offer those who show some ability a little financial help to become active. Play as many freerolls as possible in the astrology series. You want to earn tickets to the round two games, which pays cash. There is also the $90K Sat, which is played each day. A high placing gets you $5.50.

The best advice for defeating the freeroll has been given. Be patient. You want to play the premium hands. Also try getting these players one-on-one. Even pocket aces lose their value if there are several players in the hand.

As you have heard, playing in these freerolls against the maniacs has an element of risk. Kenny Rogers said it best: "For every hand's a winner, and every hand's a loser."

Does it work? Most times, yes. But don't be too surprised when you have those games where your best play is folding. It is frustrating. Just remember that there are lots of freeroll games on the site, so whenever you crash and burn in one, open another.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 01:15 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
PS is actually quite tame when it comes to shove monkeys compared to some other places.

Wait for premium or near premium hands and look for situations where it will isolate to a heads up against ATC players. This will give the best odds of chipping up without busting out.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 01:33 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=babyoats;270666]I'm trying to start a bankroll without depositing anything but I'm running into a problem, in every freeroll I enter about half the people all in, which puts me really behind (like 20000) chips and the only way I find to catch up is to join the all-in and get lucky. Does anyone have any other tips that could help me?

Ty in advance : )[/QUOT
It's one of my favorite reasons to burn the clock,early....at these levels,for way too many(imo) the strategy is to double up a few times early and tighten accordingly..........i will drag on these situations/players(AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY!.....sometimes i'll call a bs..little bet,or in front of a SO,just to drag on those, who annoy the crap out of me with the early/all-ins....... for at least the first 3 levels,and make sure I'm on the button/cut-off at every level increase...you're gonna end up a little behind,but you're hopfully gathering enough info,and or some easy pots....to provide opportunities,going forward....I'm having some limited success,but dont even want to hear,read,or ever look at again my ROI for 45+tournies....PEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!....in my defense...those things are more an endurance test than anything......4-6hrs...for a few $s...is not easy to justify,but is the cost of an education.....and relatively cheap...I'd say........I'm sure this flies a bit in the face of what is taught in the SNG/MTT course....So,reader BEWARE!!!!!!!...and obviously....if on a single table...N/A

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 02:59 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
There's one very big reason why freerolls are donkfests. It becomes dramatically easier to weather ups and downs or limping in 75% to see if you hit the flop when you have 50+ BB versus someone who has 10-15 BB. That's what those monkeys rely on. They want to be able to see as many flops as possible with their 72o "just in case" the flop comes 222.

In their mind they're missing a huge pot and that's something they can't handle. The best way to deal with them in freerolls is to just play tight and play smart. Even shove monkeys give credit to the guy that hasn't played 20 hands then all of a sudden opens with a solid raise/reraise from late position.

Don't risk alot, but when you get a solid hand and you know they're aggressive, call into the pot and feign weakness. Let them do the betting for you. Shove monkeys have weaknesses just like all other archtypes. The best advice is to adjust to their style, meaning....play the opposite.

If you have a few shove monkeys on your table, go "Ultra Tight/Passive". You also have to be wary of them drawing out on you as well, so versus these types I tend to focus on hands that are well disguised.....suited connectors, higher single spaced connectors (810s, J9s), any pairs if you can see the flop cheaply, the occasional Axs/Kxs, and your premium PP's-AQs+.

I only mention Kxs as one I like if I can get in cheap and have position mainly because I want the ace of that suit to hit the board. If they've got Ax they'll overplay their pair and won't think you're playing the second nut flush (which many don't) so it's semi-disguised.

Speaking of shove fests, got qualified for the 2nd round of the Big Game on my first try.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 04:37 AM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
Ah struck out Pos 196 damn...

And thanks for the tips guys, hopefully I'll win next time : )

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 05:02 AM
(#10)
If you're talking about the PSO's then there are plenty of posts here in the Forum that can help you with that.

I get the feeling that you're talking about the Astronomer Freerolls though. If that's the case then what you've already read here is on point. Early in these play it tight and when you do have a big hand play it hard. The donks are going to call you off almost everytime. Remember,in the Astronomer's it's all about getting the ticket. Winning means absolutely nothing. If you have enough chips with a relatively small number of players left to turtle into the ticket then there is no hand that you shouldn't be willing to fold.

You're going to get messed over in these,it's inevitable. Just keep playing solid,smart poker and worry about making correct decisions,the results will come. You CAN build a small BR playing these and then hitting some cashes in the Weekly Round 2's with the tickets you win. But it's going to take time and work. The benefit is that it will also make you a better player to work for it instead of depositing. Keep one thing in mind--most players here on Stars (or any other poker site for that matter) are LOSING players. I've seen it estimated as high as 90%. I tend to believe that number isn't far off. If you deposit and go Busto then do it again with the same result then you're setting yourself up to be one of the many who keep on chasing it to get that original deposit back and never get there.

Do the freerolls. Put the work in. Anything worth having is worth working for. Dave (thelangolier) made a great analogy of being a beginning poker player once in another post--to wit that you have to think of it as a start up business. Many of them (most?) don't show a profit for a some time. That's going to be you. Just as it was everyone else that took the path that you are trying to take.

Also in the Astronomers learn the other games.Play them. If you can find one or two that you take to and get decent at it will give you a leg up on getting tickets. I had never played 2-7 NLSD before I tried it in the Astronomer's. Now I'm pretty much a 50/50 shot to get a ticket when I play it (been awhile for me tho).

Many of the best players here in PSO never made a deposit. You CAN DO this. But you have to want it and be willing to work at it. That's the best advice I can give you.

Ever need some advice or an ear just PM me.

Good luck.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 06:12 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternitys View Post
Even shove monkeys give credit to the guy that hasn't played 20 hands then all of a sudden opens with a solid raise/reraise from late position..
Unless one of their hole cards is a face card.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 08:35 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Even shove monkeys give credit to the guy that hasn't played 20 hands then all of a sudden opens with a solid raise/reraise from late position.
Not the ones I see playing! ATC=NUTZ to them.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 09:14 AM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King 61 View Post
I'll 2nd that!

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace King 61 View Post
There's an exception to the rule occasionally.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com