Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Aching to make this call

Old
Aching to make this call - Fri Apr 08, 2011, 09:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
The all-in guy was leaking chips - previous all-in with q 10 off from utg
the 2 in the blind were very fishy but I'd just spent an hour hammering into these guys that i owned them all. lol really successfully i am very pleased to say.

Not getting ahead of myself, but this is probably the first time ever I've dominated a table through play bordering on skillful poker and 90% of that play down to what I've learnt in the live sessions with Dave.

I folded but because I didn't want to waste the hours work by someone getting lucky.

Am I being too cautious

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 150/300 Blinds 25 Ante (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (CO) (t16783)
Button (t1643)
SB (t6368)
BB (t5398)
UTG (t6653)
UTG+1 (t6222)
MP1 (t10879)
MP2 (t15817)

Hero's M: 25.82

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, 10
4 folds, Hero calls t300, Button calls t300, SB calls t150, BB bets t5373 (All-In), 1 fold, Button calls t1318 (All-In), SB calls t5073

Flop: (t12864) 5, 2, 10 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t12864) 8 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t12864) 5 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t12864

All opinions appreciated
cheers

Last edited by VareckRay; Fri Apr 08, 2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 09:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
IMO, you made the right play.

At that level, you shouldn't be ITM yet, so you need to save your chips and be sure to get ITM and move up the cash ladder, rather than take a chance in a hand you're probably behind.
You would have had to put 1/3 your stack into the pot on a hand where, granted he was leaking chips... you're more than likely behind (stronger A, pair, etc). There are people behind you that may have the same read on the person that pushed (leaking chips) that could call you too, thinking you may call him light.... and if they call after you call/push, they're basically guaranteed to be ahead of you. You wouldn't be guaranteed to only be isolating the person leaking chips (if you could, then that makes your hand look better). Also, as you stated, you spent an hour accumulating your chips and don't want to give 1/3 of them back when you're not sure you're ahead of everyone left in the hand.

Even though you'd have won the hand (gotten lucky... and is a good reason you need to have a short memory about the cards on the board after you fold a hand), it's not worth the risk for that many chips that early in the tourney, as you have plenty of time at those blind levels to get your chips into a better situation. Now... if it was later in the tourney and you were ITM or if you could guarantee you're isolated with the one leaking chips, that changes things.

Old
Thumbs up
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 10:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
Thanks JW, I agree with what you say (not that i'd be in a position to disgree lol) but your reasoning is almost identical to what I concluded. The 2 after me were loose and I did expect them both to call. There had been a couple of hands with chips flying and I didn't really want to get involved with a10.

The fact that I would have got lucky doesnt change things, I'm glad my reasoning was close to sensible

Thanks again

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com