Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Sitting Out in Tourneys

Old
Sitting Out in Tourneys - Fri Apr 08, 2011, 07:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
I am sure this has been brought up before. But, I am new; so, I'll ask anyway.

I see a lot of people who register, then just sit out for the entirety of the tournament.

I am guessing they see this as an approach to gaming the Leaderboard in some fashion. Or, I could be off-base. However I've seen it in all the tourneys I've played so far.

Is there some way that a player who hasn't actively done something with a hand by some arbitrary point in a tournament, be removed from play, and their chips added to a special bounty for that table on the next hand? Or, some such?

JMHO.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 07:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
I found the answer to why elsewhere.

Feel free to ignore.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 07:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey there Mr. Hub. I don't think you'll be seeing pokerstars change their software anytime soon for the sitters in a tournament. The thing is, they registered, and paid if it's not a freeroll, and really, should be allowed to play however they see fit. If that is sitting out...well, that is sad.
It used to be in the pso, that you could sit to get to positive points. But that isn't the case really anymore. You may be able to gain a point or two, but that's about it. I'm not sure though, as this used to be a much bigger topic, and I haven't seen stats lately as to where sitters are able to reach in a field. But rest assured, that the leaders don't sit...they know that the higher the score you achieve, the more players you must fade in the field in order to start getting positive points...therefore sitting actually hurts a player who reaches the mid 1600's i would guess, for sure the 1750's and up.
Just be glad that it's ez chip gathering from the sitters....play the table as if it were (and it technically is) shorthanded. Open your range a little...steal blinds just a little more...know that you have fewer opponents and take advantage of it.
Hope this helps..best o' luck!

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 09:13 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Just last night about 7:55, my internet decided to go out.

As a result, I sat out the entire 20:00 tourney...cost me less than 2 points btw. That was bad enough, but getting booted out at some earlier level would have been worse.

I was also 2 hours into the 18:00 1.10 MTT and had built up enough stack to finish ITM...but chances are good I would have gotten further...

Sometimes people have just lost their internet connection- it happens.

Old
Fri Apr 08, 2011, 10:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckldgator View Post
Just last night about 7:55, my internet decided to go out.

As a result, I sat out the entire 20:00 tourney...cost me less than 2 points btw. That was bad enough, but getting booted out at some earlier level would have been worse.

I was also 2 hours into the 18:00 1.10 MTT and had built up enough stack to finish ITM...but chances are good I would have gotten further...

Sometimes people have just lost their internet connection- it happens.
you only subtracted 2 points because you only have 1540 pts in the league, if you would have the points that I have you would have subtracted more points, with 1500 chips you can arrive at level 7 of blinds, after 70 minutes of playing, if there are 1400 entries, maybe you finish at 500th place, in this position I would subtract around 8 points

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com