Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Looking For Multiple Opinions - Did This Hand Have Bluff Potential?

Old
Looking For Multiple Opinions - Did This Hand Have Bluff Potential? - Sat Apr 09, 2011, 07:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This was a pretty run-of-the-mill setmine. I didn't hit, so I just dismissed the hand and focused my attention on another table. But since bluffing is a good way to get money, I'd like to know whether or not you guys think that this could have been a profitable bluffing spot.

Here's what I think made it a good bluffing spot:
1) The PFR chose not to continue on the flop. I was next to act and could have taken control.
2) I was on the button, which would have made it harder for anyone to challenge me.
3) My hand was almost completely worthless on this board against two opponents, so just about the only way I could have extracted any value from my hand would have been by bluffing.

Here's what I think detracted from the hand's bluffing potential:
1) I didn't have the best relative position to the PFR, so betting the flop might have caught me in a bad spot with the big blind.
2) The hand was multi-way, so there was a greater chance that someone could have caught something.
3) Since I wasn't the PFR, my bluff might not have been convincing.

Let me know what you guys think. The more people I can have comment on this, the better, I think. This thread is intended more for discussion that for an actual evaluation of this specific hand. Thanks!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($8.17)
BB ($10.69)
UTG ($3.65)
MP ($8.94)
CO ($9.09)
Panicky (Button) ($15.31)

Preflop: Panicky is Button with 2, 2
1 fold, MP bets $0.30, 1 fold, Panicky calls $0.30, 1 fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95) K, 10, 4 (3 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Panicky checks

Turn: ($0.95) 10 (3 players)

River: ($0.95) 4 (3 players)

Total pot: $0.95 | Rake: $0.04

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 07:36 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
I think if you are going to take a stab at this pot you do it one the turn and rep the Ten.
Otherwise you need a read that the table is not interested in the hand and has clicked the check/fold button.If you have seen that pattern before by all means take a stab.
In a multiway pot that you did not raise preflop you are more likely to take down a pot like this.
People will fold for many reasons.
1.)Squeeze play from some one yet to act.
2.)Missed and gives up even when they know your stealing
3.)Similiar to one BB folds because they think MP is slowplaying,MP folds because he missed and is scared of the King or the second ten or potential flush draw or fullhouse.
4.)Multi tabler clicked check/fold already

I think if you bet river you are more likely to be looked up because people love to bluff that they hit the flush.It all depends on how deep thinking the players are at your table.

Its a good hand to discuss,since pots like this can really improve your bottom line.

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 09:26 PM
(#3)
Thanks Cookies. And gawd, this forum has gotten busy.

I thought of bluffing after the river hit and I was playing the board, but I ended up not because I figured people would be least likely to believe me then. Repping the ten on the turn makes sense and could get the other two to fold for all the reasons you mentioned, and I do think that it would have been profitable at some tables, but not at others. So that's where reads could fit in.

Anyone else want to discuss?

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 10:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
And gawd, this forum has gotten busy.
And that is a very good thing!

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 10:59 PM
(#5)
I agree. I'll have to start reading through each thread for valuable content. Someone might have to sticky a list of the best threads to this forum's front page sometime in the future. I doubt the 'Have your hand Analyzed!' banner is coming down any time soon.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 01:31 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I don't see why not. It's possible that you have the best hand on the flop, but at the same time, a bet would probably make a hand like 64 fold (or rebluff). You might get "value" from hands like AQ, AJ, QJ, flush draws, etc. (though you really don't want to be called). And you have position so you can check behind if checked to on the turn and/or river.

I would try betting 39 to 49 cents when checked to on the flop. If you run into resistance, you can give up the bluff. if you turn a miracle set, no one will know what hit 'em.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com