Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Folding QQ preflop

Old
Folding QQ preflop - Sat Apr 09, 2011, 07:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=79DA2E1663

Think this was in 5.50 tournament. Villain 23/9/5.3 over 80 hands. Would normally not really doubt but playing on PS need some adaption when used to FT I fold coz I have 350 in and need to put half my stack at risk for probably a race. Had same kinda hand which played out bit different last week in 109 dollar sunday tart up or whatever. Then it was limper, i raise he goes allin, there I had to call also for half my stack in the beginning and you just now he lays open AK. So he did...

There is this concept of chip to stack ratio where you can fold certain hands because it is not necesary with the money you put in the pot. My QQ might be to tight though?

Old
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 08:18 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Ok..
Not really going to talk about this hand to much but more about something I have noticed with a few of your hands lately.
This is a leak if you are opening and folding to aggression.If you are doing this in the $109 tourneys they will sniff you out so fast your head will be spinning.You will notice the table will be getting involved with one or two players at your table.Reason is they would rather go after the unknown than then the known player.Unknowns are usually poorer players playing above their roll.If they see you fold easy,than they will come knocking over and over till you are shortstacked pushing ace high.By then they will be able call any two cards cause they will have most of your chips.I suggest you work your way up since the higher limits are elite players that will sense your
newer to poker.You are playing guys that do nothing but play poker and $100 is nothing to most of them since they follow good bankroll management or are backed.

Back to the hand,if this is a turbo I snap call and even a regular one Im snapping most of the time.
Dont play scared cause the saying goes "Scared money dont make money"!

The fact he has a higher than usual 3bet percentage makes it more of a call for me as well.
Has he made any other aggressive play in the last orbit at this blind lvl?

I would study the basics a bit more before playing in the higher buyins.
Its hard to play the smaller tourneys once you have played the higher tourneys.
I really have to fight that temptation and its hard.SO nix that and play the micros till you
Final table a few.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
There are exactly 3 hands you can worry about here: AA, KK, AK (and you're pretty far ahead of AK really--you're as far ahead of AK as AQ is ahead of KJ). All of those are clearly in his range. But what else might he 3-bet shove at ya? AQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, 98 suited, etc.? If there were two others in this hand and it was a fairly deep structure then you could probably fold, but you'd need an amazing read to know that he's only doing this with QQ+.

You might be able to fold JJ, and you probably should fold 10 10 if you're really scared about "your tourney life." Honestly though, in an online tournament, especially a turbo, call. Show that you're willing to defend your raises with a strong hand. If he has KK that's a cooler. If he has 78 suited he'll know better next time. Remember, your goal is to WIN the tournament, not survive into the money. Heads up I'd be willing to race with a top 3% hand.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 02:33 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
+1 cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
(and you're pretty far ahead of AK really--you're as far ahead of AK as AQ is ahead of KJ).
Really? Suggest you visit the pso calc or pokerstove and recheck your numbers.

QQ is a favorite over AK however, and it is an even bigger favorite against a 3b range of 5.3%. I'm in the snap camp on this one.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 05:20 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
Ok..
Not really going to talk about this hand to much but more about something I have noticed with a few of your hands lately.
This is a leak if you are opening and folding to aggression.If you are doing this in the $109 tourneys they will sniff you out so fast your head will be spinning.You will notice the table will be getting involved with one or two players at your table.Reason is they would rather go after the unknown than then the known player.Unknowns are usually poorer players playing above their roll.If they see you fold easy,than they will come knocking over and over till you are shortstacked pushing ace high.By then they will be able call any two cards cause they will have most of your chips.I suggest you work your way up since the higher limits are elite players that will sense your
newer to poker.You are playing guys that do nothing but play poker and $100 is nothing to most of them since they follow good bankroll management or are backed.

Back to the hand,if this is a turbo I snap call and even a regular one Im snapping most of the time.
Dont play scared cause the saying goes "Scared money dont make money"!

The fact he has a higher than usual 3bet percentage makes it more of a call for me as well.
Has he made any other aggressive play in the last orbit at this blind lvl?

I would study the basics a bit more before playing in the higher buyins.
Its hard to play the smaller tourneys once you have played the higher tourneys.
I really have to fight that temptation and its hard.SO nix that and play the micros till you
Final table a few.
Okay thanks for feedback for one

I see you point cookie. However, I qualified for the tournament. My Bankroll management is very good and I have made some decent cashes. Lets say don't loose money playing. You might have looked me up and on PS I am on a loss but not on the other site I play on. There is a big difference of play style, level of players, blind structure an payout structure between Pokerstars and Full Tilt. So when I play a 100 dollar tournament I know I am in a field with basically pros. I look up the players on pokerrankings, note down their winnings and have holdem manager running. On that table there were some great players. This does not mean that I can actually survive on that level of course and I kinda know that posting such a hand which i fold is very nitty and basically bad.

I still have a lot to learn though and your comment on folding to aggression is definately one. I dont feel very confident in reading while in a hand. I can play my pots in position and play my cards. I can also play a board and continuation bet. There is a phase however in the middle stages were I tighten up to much and make me go to 10-15 blinds. From there it gets easy of course as there are no real decisions to make but that phase is in need of some pimping.

Now I am listening to the pokerschool stuff and posting hands (something I been wanting to do for ages) I am also using pokerstove more. I guess that tool shows the actual hands which belong to a range. This makes me realize more how many types of hands actual are played when someone opens say 20-25%. Getting a lot of information at ones always affects your playstyle in a negative manner for a little while. I have noticed this before. There is so much in your head that you actually over analyse situations were you normally would not think twice (and should not either). I think I am there atm

Looking forward to the next one!
P.S if I qualify for the 100 today you care to rail it with me

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Really? Suggest you visit the pso calc or pokerstove and recheck your numbers.

Sorry, here are some I was thinking of:

A 10 vs. KJ suited = 56/43
A 10 vs. KJ = 58/41
AQ vs. KJ suited = 58/41
QQ vs. AK = 56/44

Whoops, mixed it up with the one where you have a couple of cards in the middle, ie. A10 vs. KJ suited

Basically just saying it's not as close a flip as a small pair to a couple of connected or suited overs.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com