Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Tournament Statistics

Old
Tournament Statistics - Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
WhiteStar
These were my stats for my last skill league game.

You finished in 27th place (eliminated at hand #60596778458).
159 hands played and saw flop:
- 3 times out of 17 while in small blind (18%)
- 12 times out of 18 while in big blind (67%)
- 9 times out of 124 in other positions (7%)
- a total of 24 times out of 159 (15%)
Pots won at showdown - 11 out of 15 (73%)
Pots won without showdown - 7

I think this is telling me that I am playing very rocky. The question is how do I improve my game to get a better chance of winning? What should I study to get more comfortable playing more hands?

Mogris

Old
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I am not sure how to even tell by these stats how I am playing in a tournament. What are the kind of stats one usually aims to have?

Old
Mon May 30, 2011, 02:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2009
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogris View Post
These were my stats for my last skill league game.

You finished in 27th place (eliminated at hand #60596778458).
159 hands played and saw flop:
- 3 times out of 17 while in small blind (18%)
- 12 times out of 18 while in big blind (67%)
- 9 times out of 124 in other positions (7%)
- a total of 24 times out of 159 (15%)
Pots won at showdown - 11 out of 15 (73%)
Pots won without showdown - 7

I think this is telling me that I am playing very rocky. The question is how do I improve my game to get a better chance of winning? What should I study to get more comfortable playing more hands?

Mogris
The frequency of flops seen by itself doesn't mean much, because it depends to a great extent on who raises behind you and so on. I recommend you download a professional tracking software like PT3 or HEM (both available in free trial copies) and look at the basic stats, VPIP and PFR. VPIP is how often you put money into the pot voluntarily (e.g. postflop bet/call if you are in the big blind and nobody bets preflop), and I would aim for around 25-35 . I would estimate your VPIP at 18 or so, which is probably too tight. Try opening up in later positions with speculative hands like suited connectors, marginal cards like Q9 or K8.
PFR is another important concept, maybe even more so than simple VPIP/flops seen. It tracks what % of the time you raise preflop, and reasonable stats in my experience are around 15-20. If you download pokerstove, another useful poker tool, you can type in a % of hands and it'll give you the range of cards you should be raising/opening with.

Also, the (obvious) advantage of using HEM or PT3 is you collect a lot of information on your opponents. It might take a bit of time to get used to but eventually those two numbers alone, VPIP and PFR, will give you all the information you need - tight or loose; passive or aggressive..

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
In a general sense, your stats look ok. Personally, I use to hover just below 15% of flops seen in a pso event, but you may have been there until the final couple tables, when you have less players and thus will see more flops. I do wonder why you saw so many flops from the SB though? Is this because the BB was too passive and never raised your limps? Or maybe the table was too tight and folded to the blinds often?
Anyway...to me it looks ok.

jf70...nice post.
You've been a member of the PSO since Feb. of '09 and this is your first post?
Well welcome to the forum!

Old
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 08:34 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2009
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
In a general sense, your stats look ok. Personally, I use to hover just below 15% of flops seen in a pso event, but you may have been there until the final couple tables, when you have less players and thus will see more flops. I do wonder why you saw so many flops from the SB though? Is this because the BB was too passive and never raised your limps? Or maybe the table was too tight and folded to the blinds often?
Anyway...to me it looks ok.

jf70...nice post.
You've been a member of the PSO since Feb. of '09 and this is your first post?
Well welcome to the forum!
Haha no I was at intellipoker.de before, and I didn't speak German, so I wasn't posting much at all... I was only moved here end of May. Thanks though :-)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com