Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Help! So I Was Trying to Be more Patient and Cautious ...

Old
Help! So I Was Trying to Be more Patient and Cautious ... - Sun Apr 10, 2011, 10:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
... with those more 'active' tables of the PSO, you know the ones where you get like 6 people playing every pot, even with pre-flop raises. And once again, I busted out early within the first 30 minutes of the tourney. Should I have folded this raise to protect my tournament life?

On the other hand, I had a competitive hand. And playing hands like these (and winning) is how I'm able to build my stacks on the days that I do manage to make the 'money' ... although usually I avoid the big stacks like the plague, and avoid going all-in when there's more than one caller ... I should have folded, shouldn't I (even though the SnG course materials probably say to call) ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Apr 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 12:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
14 bb's on a table of loose players that call it off light, I'm ok with going with AJs. You can actually just open shove if they don't care. Not really a fan of 4x, you can't really put 4 bb's in and fold, so you're setting yourself up to face some difficult decisions. If you're not comfortable with this hand strength at this stage, folding is ok too. AJs is close.

Given the blind level and your stack being a good 3b stack size, an alternate line that might work is limp/rr jamming. You limp, if someone raises, you 3b jam when it gets back to you. If it's a limped pot, you commit when you improve and give up when you don't costing only 1bb.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks - that was great.

I actually had AT the hand before and took so long trying to think through all the alternatives the computer folded my hand.

Now I can just print out your advice and keep it by the computer for next time

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 04:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2011
We can't see your previous hands off course but you had already lost half your stack. When people go so crazy I like to just play supertight. Folding that hand preflop. Just wait for that one hand where you have a premium hand or hit your trips in a multiway pot. The thing is that your opponents don't care if you only play one hand in an hour. They will still call with a semi good hand when you jam it. I am not saying you should blind of your stack but there will be an opportunity in the first 45 minutes were your patience will pay off and you get it in with the best hand or draw.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 08:35 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCruel View Post
We can't see your previous hands off course but you had already lost half your stack. When people go so crazy I like to just play supertight. Folding that hand preflop. Just wait for that one hand where you have a premium hand or hit your trips in a multiway pot. The thing is that your opponents don't care if you only play one hand in an hour. They will still call with a semi good hand when you jam it. I am not saying you should blind of your stack but there will be an opportunity in the first 45 minutes were your patience will pay off and you get it in with the best hand or draw.
I like that - that a crazy table can be a real advantage when you wait for that monster hand and then bet because you can count on people to just not fold. People who won't fold doesn't have to be a disadvantage if you just wait for the right moment to engage people with that quality.

That's so true ... thx!

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
So I played the 10pm PSO Tourney and got another live one (one of those tables where 7 of the players have VPIP's over 50%). I managed to last 40 minutes this time around, which is kind of deceptive because rather than chase the action, I only played 3 hands.

My first hand was 99, which I raised from UTG, and still got 6 callers, one of which flopped a set so I had to fold (it went to showdown with somebody else). Later I got KK, and had to fold after the board flopped an A. Was down to around 1000 chips when the blinds went up to 100 - had AT and decided to shove flat out, got called and wound up losing the hand, but I'm happy with the call. I had the chance to double up as 3:1 favorite going into the flop - and if I had just limped in, they were probably going to put me all in after the flop and I don't think I would have been able to get away from the best hand at that point.

To just look at my points from yesterday's game and today's you'd never notice a difference, but I felt a lot better about the way I approached the tourney today based on what I learned yesterday. So thx everybody for the tips - it doesn't show from the points, but my game's definitely improving!

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Apr 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:26 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
that's actually surprising that someone would call that with Q 10 off. Most of the time, if that bet gets called, you're behind and maybe dominated. The hands that should be calling that are high pocket pairs or a big suited ace.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:33 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
that's actually surprising that someone would call that with Q 10 off. Most of the time, if that bet gets called, you're behind and maybe dominated. The hands that should be calling that are high pocket pairs or a big suited ace.
That particular person was shoving with hands like 55, so when they limped I figured I should have been in good shape if anybody called.

But yeah, there was always that chance that somebody could have been limping in with a way better hand, like AA or AK.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
low pairs is what you should be limping with, not shoving.. they've got it backwards. And... if they limp with a low pair, calling your raise should be out of the question.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
low pairs is what you should be limping with, not shoving.. they've got it backwards. And... if they limp with a low pair, calling your raise should be out of the question.
I thought I could take advantage of that, but it didn't work out that way - oh well, maybe they're new and they'll find their way to the Hand Analysis section and pick up good tips the way I've been.

When I first started playing I used to play every hand - because I didn't want to miss that chance to flop a full house with 32o or whatever haha. My first month giving PSO a serious go, I wound up something like 11,000th out of 12,000 - you have to seriously be trying if you wind up digging a hole that deep, because it takes time to get that far down in the rankings.

This game's super complicated, but so much fun to learn - lots of challenge! I do feel like I'm getting better - last month I ended up in 1001st place, right out of the money ... hopefully this month I'll be able to cash

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Apr 11, 2011 at 11:53 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 02:33 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Watch the Langoliers video on managing medium to short stacks .... this should help you out a lot.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:28 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0o0AcEo0o0 View Post
Watch the Langoliers video on managing medium to short stacks .... this should help you out a lot.
haha - I figured if somebody thought from my play description that I could stand to benefit from watching Langoliers medium to short stack video (again), I must have missed something the first time around.

Man, that video was great! I watched it before - how did I manage to miss so much??? So funny the hand I started this thread with fit right into the example of "Common Mistakes" ... what not to do ... LOL LOL

I played a 10 cent tournie today and made $26. Used a lot of stuff I picked up from this vid to make it that far. That felt really good

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com