Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Thanks and goodbye

Old
Thanks and goodbye - Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Love the variety of games and all the help you get on these forums but I'm done. There was a cap to the amount of money I am willing to waste here and I hit it. Thought I would play a $10 sit and go as a last test (a little bigger buy in than usual). Raised with QQ and got a shove from a loose player, called and saw JJ. Was happy until I remembered where I'm playing.

There's much to sacrifice in leaving as the support and set-up here is the best I've seen. Just can't tolerate the overwhelming BS anymore. Drained too much from me. Take care and good luck to you all .

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezer_dee View Post
Love the variety of games and all the help you get on these forums but I'm done. There was a cap to the amount of money I am willing to waste here and I hit it. Thought I would play a $10 sit and go as a last test (a little bigger buy in than usual). Raised with QQ and got a shove from a loose player, called and saw JJ. Was happy until I remembered where I'm playing.

There's much to sacrifice in leaving as the support and set-up here is the best I've seen. Just can't tolerate the overwhelming BS anymore. Drained too much from me. Take care and good luck to you all .
Sounds like you need to look into Good Bankroll Management friend. Good Luck to ya!

JT

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
And maybe learn about playing more volume, if you're gonna quit the first time you get sucked out on with a 2 outer, then maybe you shouldn't be playing poker.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:34 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Bankroll management was never the issue. Dropped game stakes when my bankroll started dropping and only raised my stakes as I was $10 off the suck-out damage I was wiling to tolerate. Thanks for the good wishes. All cashed out now but will prob play away my FPP. Back to Full Tilt (where profit can be made) I guess.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:36 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
And maybe learn about playing more volume, if you're gonna quit the first time you get sucked out on with a 2 outer, then maybe you shouldn't be playing poker.
First time? lmfao. I agree, if it were first time and I quit, I shouldn't play poker. If it's been months and hundreds of dollars worth of beats like this...quite another thing.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:40 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezer_dee View Post
First time? lmfao. I agree, if it were first time and I quit, I shouldn't play poker. If it's been months and hundreds of dollars worth of beats like this...quite another thing.

Actually, bad runs can happen for this long. But, without HH's I am going to have to guess that you are playing outside your bankroll or you aren't as good as you think you may be. This is all just talk. If we had some history. We may be able to figure out what happened and correct it. Believe me, the RCG is exactly the same for both sites.

JT

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:40 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
its your avatars fault

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
its your avatars fault
lol

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:52 PM
(#9)
Beats--standard,bad or ridiculous--are a part of the game.So is being card dead,coolered and everyting else. It's about learning to deal with this (and we all struggle with/or master it with varying levels of success or failure) and to keep making the right decision more than not,as often as possible.

Deezer,good luck to you in whatever you endeavor and hope you can find your way back. As for that other site.............good luck to you there,'cause I don't know what you're looking at but the suckouts I've seen (and experienced) on FT are much more insane than what I've ever seen here.I'm trying to Freeroll it up there,and it's SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW going (proper BR management I won't play anything for money there until I Freeroll my way to at least $30). The site looks like a video game,and quite frankly plays like one to IMO.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
i have money on FTP now and guess what... aces dealt versus my shove hands 4 times in a row.

it happens... play more, not less.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
It's all variance man. You got to learn to deal with it and prepare for it with bankroll management. Sounds like you got the BR under control atleast. I have been 12 tabling for the first time this month at the cash tables, and I am getting schooled hard in the ways of variance. I got stacked 8 times and lost several other all-in vs small stacks in 3 hours last night. Two of those were coinflips, the rest I was a huge favorite. It was the worst run of cards I've had in 5 years. I was reall upset and can understand how you feel right now.

I ended the night down 6 buy-ins. I spent some time today reading on various websites about variance. Guess what I found... this kind of thing happens to everyone at somepoint. In fact, many people that play over 12 tables at a time have days where they lost 10+ buy-ins. One thing worth noting though, the higher your ROI is at your game of choice, the less severe the downswings will be in general.

There is a very good reason why someone like Nanonoko averages less than 3 big bets per 100 hands. This is that reason.

It is really hard to deal with these swings when they are at their worst. Like I said, I was very upset last night. My understanding of variance is not complete and I was unprepared mentally for it. The more you understand how variance works the less it will bother you.

To look at the bright side of things, there is only one direction to go from the bottom of variance, and it is up! I hope you don't let your bad luck ruin the game of poker for you. Good luck!

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 07:45 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Thanks for all the advice guys. Totally torn because this is the best site I've come across. Did well at Full Tilt but they didn't have the variety and support I've seen here. Variation is a bitch and I know it's something you have to ride out. Started with $400 and played mostly .25/.50 FL and $5-10 sit and gos. First couple of months were good but I've been beaten down to $200. Don't think bankroll management is my problem. Might be the avatar
Pokerstars is probably the best out there but something has to change. Would love to come back. I understand the luck element of the game and am not arrogant with regard to my skill. Still more to learn no doubt and hoping the change will straighten out my bad run. Should I build up a bankroll elsewhere - I'll happily come back for another shot here.
Looking for new sites to play at but I think I've been spoilt here. Don't think I'll go back to FT as I'd like a deposit bonus. UB or PKR are leading choices so far but the range of games in both are unimpressive. Any suggestions?

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#13)
Deezer if I'm reading your two posts correctly it sounds like you originally deposited $400 dollars but you're cut-off point that you were willing to lose is $200and you're there,so that means that you still have $200 left here (or had before you cashed it out).

My advice,deposit that $200 back in a week or two and STAY HERE. You may be leaving right as your bad variance run is ending for all you know. You may not be as good as you think (or hope) that you are,don't say that as a dig,just that it may be the case.

Why stay? For the reasons that YOU have already stated--the support and variety here is,quite simply,unmatched.Take a couple weeks to cool down,and most importantly devote that time to studying up on the games that you gravitate to. You may find some leaks in how you were playing them of which you are unaware.

When you come back to play,drop down a level or two form where you were. Focus on playing well and see if you can find a "go-to" game or two that you can beat consistently enough that it will pay you off handsomely when you are running well/normal and not crush you when you aren't. Work THAT game/games like a frigging coal mine. The funds you win there are what you should use to take your shots elsewhere,that way,at worst,your BR stays static as long as the "source" game or games is continuing to pay you off.

With all the variety here that game or games is out there.......you just have to find it. Think carefully about where you have had you most success here,not from a lucky streak or two,but where you've been the most consistent. That is probably where your answer lies.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
(#14)
btw... $200 downswing playing the games you did is nothing

i play $1-$3r SNGs swing neg $200 all the time... my last two downswings were about $250 and $350

Old
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Moxie's right dude...If this is the best place to be, Id stay too...which is why I do. I've experienced the good and the bad on both sites. But either way good luck to you, sir. Should you want to stay or leave, the door is always open, friend, and there is always a seat waiting for you.

Last edited by VERDUGO77; Sun Apr 10, 2011 at 10:48 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 06:49 AM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
This is by far and away THE BEST POKER SITE on the internet. A lot of others here think it is too. Everyone experiences those major down swings at times, you just have to roll with it when they happen. I would suggest taking some time away from poker for a few days and have fun in other places. Go outside get some fresh air, do whatever it is you like to do ( as long as its legal of course ) I hope you stay, but if you don't just remember Pokerstars and a lot of great people and support are here and will be here for as long as I can see. Remember as well that no matter where you play you will still have those downswings on occasion. Now some good news. Everyone that plays poker long enough WILL eventually experience an UPSWING and when that happens just watch all the chips and money come piling in. Good luck on the tables to you. Take care too.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Will be sticking around to use up my FPP but have now cashed into PKR. Didn't think I'd be taken in by the gimmick but have to say, lots of fun. Just tried it out and won the first hand I played...an omen maybe. Their range of games is disappointing though but I just don't have patience enough to wait out this downswing. No doubt I will be cashing back in soon enough because no doubt, Pokerstars offers the best games. Checked out other sites and nothing else really grabbed me. Titan Poker came close. Who knows, maybe I'll satellite into a big tourney and Pokerstars will right its wrongs by giving me a big win.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 02:29 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
I still think its the avatar

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com