Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Putting players on a range?

Old
Putting players on a range? - Sun Apr 10, 2011, 07:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Folks,

I find it really hard to put players on a range preflop. When it is on the flop, turn or river it seems like I am psychic but still cannot resist calling or raising? How do I control these impulses to catch a str or flush and just fold and become a strong winning player?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

TC

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Look at the pot odds. If you meet the pot odds, then it's worth playing. If not, you would be better off in the long run folding.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hi Folks,

I find it really hard to put players on a range preflop. When it is on the flop, turn or river it seems like I am psychic but still cannot resist calling or raising? How do I control these impulses to catch a str or flush and just fold and become a strong winning player?

TC
Anytime you have a question of whether or not you are ahead, MUCK! In the PSO, one will find that folding is the only option if you want to win consistanty month after month. Ask anyone that has been up top time and time again. Or just watch them.

FOLD, FOLD, and FOLD!

JT

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Best way to put a player on a range is watching them play when not involved in a hand.
Note what they showdown if it was something they played aggressively.
Its something you will get better at if you practice it.YOu will start noticing patterns with bet sizing.
Player is aggressive all streets and suddenly minbets when the flush draw hits on the river.
They have 2 pair or trips most of the time and will call any raise.Stuff like that you just get better at reading a board.

Try doing these things:
-Guessing what player has when you are not in a hand
-Watching how they bet
-Going back and replaying the hand after it has played.
-Review hand histories after the tourney and look for patterns.

That last one is a real key to getting better.We miss things in the moment but later on you see a pattern when you are not pressed for time.

Practice,practice practice.

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 07:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
Best way to put a player on a range is watching them play when not involved in a hand.
Note what they showdown if it was something they played aggressively.
Its something you will get better at if you practice it.YOu will start noticing patterns with bet sizing.
Player is aggressive all streets and suddenly minbets when the flush draw hits on the river.
They have 2 pair or trips most of the time and will call any raise.Stuff like that you just get better at reading a board.

Try doing these things:
-Guessing what player has when you are not in a hand
-Watching how they bet
-Going back and replaying the hand after it has played.
-Review hand histories after the tourney and look for patterns.

That last one is a real key to getting better.We miss things in the moment but later on you see a pattern when you are not pressed for time.

Practice,practice practice.
Excellent advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hi Folks,

TC
There's an easy way to range people in a PSO:

any two cards!

Old
Mon Apr 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Thanks Guys taking the advice and hopefully moving up.

TC

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com