Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Cash Game Table Selection

Old
Cash Game Table Selection - Tue Apr 12, 2011, 09:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
I wanted to start this new thread on this topic because I always see more about how to play and not ever much on where to play. I have tried a few different things to help me decide what table to choose to play at and have gotten mixed results. I started by putting color codes on players so that I could look at the lobby and see at a glance what the composition of the table would be. I first tried just marking the players with 6 or more tables running, assuming that they must be pretty good, right? Then I looked up some of them with PTR and saw that they lost money too. Now, I highlight players that are really winning money at that stakes and if I see a table with a handful of them I just stay away. I also highlight known losers too, and look to catch a game with a few of them.
It seems really simple, and it had helped me a lot recently. There has to be some other things to look for too. If anyone has anything they could share I would greatly appreciate it, and other people that would read this too.
Thank you.

Old
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Cool man, I mean I use color codes to, but I never really thought to look up players and color code all the weak ones to find them. Seems like a great strat and I think I am going to start doing it. However, I play 5NL so there is usually atleast 2-3 weak players at 6max every table lol.

Anyway, what I look for before sitting down at a table is the stack sizes and VPIP. You can change your table settings from average pot to VPIP in the lobby. I look for a high VPIP % because this means that players are playing very loose and getting involved in a lot of hands, which means to me that I can pick out the weak players and out play them post flop to make good profit.

As for stack size, if say we are playing 2NL, I want the average stack size to be $2 or more. If it is lower then that means there are probably a lot of "ankle biters" at the table which can be very annoying. They might limp utg and when it comes around to me I wake up with KK in mp and open up for a 4x the bb which is stacked same as me might lay down 77 or something because of the utg limp and the 4x. Which messes up a spot where I could have probably stacked off the big blind. It just seems that different scenarios like that happen to me when not playing at a table with average stacks, it just makes it harder to make a profit.

Hope this helps!

Ace-

Old
Stack sizes and V$PiP - Tue Apr 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
I started by going for the higher V$PiP, but I've found that to be slightly unreliable as it can fluctuate, and not really accurately represent the players, but the hands. You can use a HUD to see the individual stats to more effect. Also, I have better luck looking for small average stacks. I see a 25NL table where most have 10-15$ stacks it seems they play looser and more poorly post flop. Same with 10NL, I look for tables with 4-6$ stacks. Some people do better with the opposite though. I like the little "ankle-biters" as you call them.

Old
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I don't really take enough time or put in enough effort in table selection right now. I mostly just avoid tables with too many small stacks or too many people with big stacks bigger than the max buy-in. I try to gravitate towards the higher average pot tables. Not sure how effecting this is, but when I'm trying to get 12 tables going I just don't really care. If I'm not liking a table after a few minutes I can just leave anyways.

One thing I love to see is people who have stacks at like 85% max buy-in. It means they don't auto-rebuy - which often can mean they are more casual players, and maybe not having the best session ever.

I was randomly kind of browsing the 5NL tables last night and I saw one table with about 7 people waiting in line. Most of the tables have 0 waiters. I opened the table up and there was about 4 people(out of 6) that were limping into every pot and playing their moderate hands way too far. It was fish city. If you take the time to look through all the tables, not just the ones with open seats, I'm sure you can find some really good ones.

Old
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 12:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
In that situation, you'd be looking for high #s seeing the flop but with low pot size?

Old
Tue Apr 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I prefer tables with average stacks below the max buy-in. I think that people who do not reload are tagging themselves as fish, because most good players prefer deep-stack play. People who can't reload probably can't really afford to, and tend to play weak. I love the 'ankle-biters' if that's your name for them. The more people who open limp, the happier I am. The easiest money comes from the fishiest players.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:31 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I have this really bad issue where i just sit on any table and play...i know that i should be putting down some time to look for these players and color code them and track them using software....but then i dont have a software lol i did have one but the codes and display were really frustrating cuz i didnt know what they meant and the display would cover up my cards and some displays would be on the wrong players lol and then tracking them using sharkscope or PTR kind of takes time using and some are not even updated....

So how important is it to really put some time into finding the fish? Would should I need and what can I do without a tracker?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com