Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

After Dave's session

Old
After Dave's session - Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Folks,

There is nothing better than putting what you learn into use:

Session of less than an hour on one .01/.02 NL table after Dave's session.

Bought in for 1.60, dominated the table, won nearly 10 VPPs and virtually trebled my money in less than an hour.

In fact it nearly took me more time to work out how to post it here:

Now all I have to do is learn how to play more than one table.

Thanks Dave and Darkman too for all the help and support in improving my game:

TC

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by topthecat; Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Sweet top,nice going.

10 VPP's in an hour,Damn that was a live .01/.02 NLHE table.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
(#3)
THX Mox will sleep like the dead now LOL

TC

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Kinda surprised you didn't raise on the river with the boat. Glad you're doing well, though. I've had a decent night at the tables since Dave's session, too. I also tripled a buy-in.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:19 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
THX Mox will sleep like the dead now LOL

TC

Why do you have to bring Keith Richards into the conversation?

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:20 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Nice job top. Noticed you 3x raised in all those hands, you may want to increase it over limpers... just for reference in the live training session I was 3x opening, 4x over 1 limper, 5-6x over 2, and that one hand I even went 9x over I think it was 4 limpers. Well done attacking weakness and exploiting the loose preflop/fit or fold post flop players.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:22 AM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Kinda surprised you didn't raise on the river with the boat. Glad you're doing well, though. I've had a decent night at the tables since Dave's session, too. I also tripled a buy-in.
Villain jammed into him on the river.

Man you guys are good, tripling your buy in. I only won 2 buy ins 4 tabling.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
(#8)
To be fair, I was sitting at a table with a guy running something like 60/40, who was reloading, and who ended his session by making a frustration reship with K7o into my AKo. So it really wasn't a fair game.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 03:02 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I missed the lesson, but I am assuming dave stressed that raising these marginal drawing hands in position doesn't mean you are staying in there a ton to "duke it out" if they DO show some interest in the pot with flop bets, right?

I LOVE the way you banged on their heads with your semi-bluffs though, truly loved it!

This stuff will really work well at a table where no one is making adjustments to "trap" you by checking bigger flop hits. But you seemed to not really be firing EVERY TIME they checked, so you are keeping that at bay a bit too...nice job.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:38 AM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Yeah JD, definitely. During the session we did a lot of attacking loose pre/fit or fold post guys. Like one victim was running 47/2 but only went to showdown 12% of the time. We had a guy on the other table running 76/0 (not a typo lol). We also had one guy running 2/2 (also not a typo lol). It was a lot of fun for me because I'm not used to seeing those types of extremes with any real regularity.

We also talked about how we would adjust to calling stations (loose pre/any little thing is a fit post lol), value bet them post flop religously but don't bluff.

Last edited by TheLangolier; Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:39 AM
(#11)
Indeed he did JD, I folded quite a few marginal hands in the session as well.

Thanks for the heads up Dave, I had four and five bet earlier but lost a bit of focus towards the end. Best hour of poker that I feel I have played since I started this game and I am now close to the 50$ mark from freerolling and 1/2 NL tables.

Lots more to learn though but i am looking forward to the challenge.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Keep it up TC awesome roll build so far

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:34 PM
(#13)
Thanks Roomik,

Appreciate the support.

TC

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Yeah JD, definitely. During the session we did a lot of attacking loose pre/fit or fold post guys. Like one victim was running 47/2 but only went to showdown 12% of the time. We had a guy on the other table running 76/0 (not a typo lol). We also had one guy running 2/2 (also not a typo lol). It was a lot of fun for me because I'm not used to seeing those types of extremes with any real regularity.

We also talked about how we would adjust to calling stations (loose pre/any little thing is a fit post lol), value bet them post flop religously but don't bluff.

I was just spending this evening watching some of the live training video sessions and going through some of the Hand Analysis threads and thought back to one of the sessions I had attended.

I have put two of Dave's quotes in bold because I am not 100% sure what the terminology means.

Can anyone "translate" for me?

Thanks

TC

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
(#15)
Some players play way too many hands preflop (maybe 40% or more) then don't know how to play post-flop. If their default response to flopping no pair and no strong draw is, "Darn, that guy is c-betting! He must have it. I fold," then it's probably profitable to get them heads-up preflop, then c-bet them almost every time, because they'll pay the money to see the flop, but then they'll usually go away. I think that's what he meant by the first term loose pre(flop)/fit or fold post(flop).

The second quote refers to players who will play the same number of hands preflop, but will call down with backdoor gutshots. So, don't c-bet them unless you have it, and never bluff them ever.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Tue May 17, 2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
(#16)
(Head Trainer)
Basicallly, correct.

"fit or fold" refers to a player that plays their cards straight forward, if they hit the flop ("fit") they continue, and if they miss they don't. Generally referred to as hitting the flop well or simplying going away.

In the first usage the villain was voluntarily putting money in preflop 47% of the time but only going to showdown 12% (which is really small), so in other words he was trying to catch lightening in a bottle and hit a big flop via a wide range of starting hands, and simply didn't take much heat uniless he did (Fit or Fold).

In the second example, the villain was more of a calling station (considering any little piece or longshot draw good enough of a "fit" to continue).

Old
Wed May 18, 2011, 06:08 AM
(#17)
Thanks guys,

I sort of knew what it meant but just wanted some clarification.

Cheers,

TC

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com