Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Making notes

Old
Making notes - Wed Apr 13, 2011, 04:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
WhiteStar
Even in my mind this question makes me feel stupid, but I have to ask.

I know I should be making notes on opponents at the tables but I never know what to write. A couple of examples I have written are: went all in utg +2 with k7; and runs the clock every hand, may be playing lots of tables and not paying full attention.

Is this the right sort of thing to be noting or am I doing it wrong? I should point out that presently I'm only playing freerolls and play money, so I know the players will play differently to real money, I just want to understand what I should be noting when I make the real money transition.

Thanks in advance,
Ram.

Old
?? - Wed Apr 13, 2011, 06:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
keep it simple- only note what you know-- cluttering your notes with 'maybe" and the like - only serves to complicate the issue-- start with this- note the players rank in the previous months play in the PSO- from that you can derive whether they are freerolling for a penny, or taking the league seriously- playing for points-- gl. monk-----

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:37 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
Classify your opponents:

Tight aggressive TAG Tricky

Loose Aggressive LAG Maniac/Genius

Loose Passive LPA Calling Station

Tight Passive TPA Rock

Use the colours as above when taking notes and you can see what type of player your opponent is at a glance.

Update based on your experience at the table and not just results in the PSO league

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:40 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ramage View Post
Even in my mind this question makes me feel stupid, but I have to ask.

I know I should be making notes on opponents at the tables but I never know what to write. A couple of examples I have written are: went all in utg +2 with k7; and runs the clock every hand, may be playing lots of tables and not paying full attention.

Is this the right sort of thing to be noting or am I doing it wrong? I should point out that presently I'm only playing freerolls and play money, so I know the players will play differently to real money, I just want to understand what I should be noting when I make the real money transition.

Thanks in advance,
Ram.

i have to agree with monkeyskunk, keep it simple, i can give you some examples, not only make notes, use color codes for the players you play against, for example red= good player, top 100th player....caution..yellow= decent player, top 500th-1000th player and green= bad player, loose.fish, calls anything..just some examples, never confuse yourself..gl..

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
(#5)
WhiteStar
Thanks Monk, that's exactly the type of thing I was hoping for. Two good tips, neither of which had occurred to me, obviously.

Appreciated,
Ram.

P.S. Any further tips from anyone will be gratefully received.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
(#6)
WhiteStar
Oops, two more posts while my phone was sending my reply. Thanks TC and Tariq. These tips are so simple, but obviously I can see how effective once told about them....

Thanks again guys,
Ram.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:48 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I think Dave has a video up on note taking.. I like to search through the HH to see what players showdown with too, eg: ships 32 BB with K4 off, only raises 4BB with AJ or higher etc

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#8)
WhiteStar
Thanks Roomik, I didn't realise you could do that. And I'm searching for that video when I get home from work.

Cheers,
Ram.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com