Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Horrible Down Swing Need Help !

Old
Horrible Down Swing Need Help ! - Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Okay, so my bank roll has dropped from $143.00 to $72.00 in the past two days ! This has been the worst downswing yet since I started back up in February.

Went on tilt last night because it seemed like no matter what game I played somebody was busting every hand I had with a second best hand. I just couldn't believe it, but I have done a lot of reading in these forums and
others and I realize that this is a part of poker.

However, I am starting to get close to The original $50 that I began with and am worried I will lose it. I did move down stakes from 5nl to 2nl last night after i dropped to around $90.
I usually play $2.20 and $3.30, but I realize that I probably shouldn't be playing either of them until I get back well over $100. I guess I am just looking for some advice on how others have handled this in the past and what kind of tournies I should be playing with this bank roll.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Freeroll it for a while and have some fun until the cards come your way again.

Playing 2nl is probably best but keep it short sessions with not as many tables if you multitable. Get outta there once you are more than 30% in the black or stack someone.

It sounds like drastic measures, but I think it would be best to stay away from SNGs and tournies with any buy in rather than FPP.

I hope that helps and the good streak returns.

TC

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
$100 bank or less 1cent/2cent NL and 25cent 45 man + 25cent 90 man s+g's
also 50 cent 45 man + 90 man s+g's

$200 bank 2cent/5cent NL with 50 cent 45 man + 90 man s+g's

$300 bank 5cent/10cent NL with 50 cent + $1.00 45 man + 90 man s+g's

$400 bank 10cent/25cent NL with $1.00 + $2.00 s+gs 45+90 man type

stick to that dont jump higher and avoid all MTT's untill bank exceeds $200
then only $1.00 MTT's
at $400 bank you can add in a $2.00 MTT every now and then with some $1.00 MTT's also

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I use the Chris Ferguson Bankroll startagy:

ring games 5% of Br per table. If at any table you aquire more than 10% of your bankroll cash out before next BB.

sit n go's 5% of Br.

mtt's 2% of Br.

for a $60 Bankroll

Ring games would be .01/.02 and possible some .02/.05 where you buy in for $3.00

sit n go's less than $3.00

mtt's less than $1.00

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:06 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hey thx a ton guys ! Chris I don't play sngs, never really have ... think I will stick with the $1.10 mtts and 2nl but mainly 2nl. I was up almost to $600 and started with $50 in feb. but I withdrew like $400 cause was in dire need of cash.

I think that was a bad move because It has really crippled my br growth. don't play to withdraw to much anymore unless I absolutely have to.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Withdrawing $ to help in your real life is never a bad thing...just drop down and keep plugging away

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thx roomik that is what I am doing bro ! Just plugging away one day at a time !

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Withdrawing $ to help in your real life is never a bad thing...just drop down and keep plugging away

100% agree, another question i have ask and nobody seem to answer, should BR management take in effect when it is time to withdraw some of your winnings, alot of you guys talk about BR, but nobody never discusses when is it time to make a withdrawl when you are up, say 200-400 of your original deposit or even more, it seems to me to be a winning player you have to withdraw some profit for yourself ,instead of letting the house hold on to it all the time...

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
My goal is to build my br to the point where I can multi 24 tables at medium stakes, so I don't really wanna be withdrawing unless I Have to.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
(#10)
Is that tournies or cash, Ace?

You were getting some great deep runs in tournies if I remember correctly? Do you intend to multi table tournies and if so do you think it is a good idea?

I know Nanu and the other guy who got Super,super super nova elite or whatever it is (I never remember how to spell his name) do it but I think that these guys are exceptional and that is no disrespect to anyone else attempting to emulate them.

TC

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 06:02 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Haha don't worry Top .... none taken = ) But nah I meant multi table ring games, but I am going to run probably 1 or two mtts while I multi table. As of now I can only multi like 6 ring games if I play tournies because it is way to much to Try to do much more then that and focus on picking up reads in tournies.
I think it is essential to pick up player tendencies and figure out what kind of style they play so that when it comes down to that moment where I have to make a huge decisions, I will have a more clear idea of what I need to do. And at this point in time I cannot do that yet lol. Maybe one day the Nanonoko in me will rise, but for now I will just take It easy.

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 06:50 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
well just had a couple short winning sessions and back up over $80 .... hopefully that downswing has passed = )

Old
Wed Apr 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
(#13)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0o0AcEo0o0 View Post
My goal is to build my br to the point where I can multi 24 tables at medium stakes, so I don't really wanna be withdrawing unless I Have to.
Yeah dude... that is kind of my long term goal too. Withdrawing will just slow you down A LOT.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARIQ06 View Post
100% agree, another question i have ask and nobody seem to answer, should BR management take in effect when it is time to withdraw some of your winnings, alot of you guys talk about BR, but nobody never discusses when is it time to make a withdrawl when you are up, say 200-400 of your original deposit or even more, it seems to me to be a winning player you have to withdraw some profit for yourself ,instead of letting the house hold on to it all the time...
What I do is take loans to myself, say I have $2400 br for cash games and for some reason either out of need or because I want to purchase something I will withdraw $200 then keep a record and slowly pay myself back until I have returned what I borrowed from my bankroll.

That said I am in a pretty good situation financially so I really don't need to withdraw from my online bank roll much. I keep a spreed sheet with my Poker bankroll but it is divided into several place's IE I have $$ on stars, tilt, cake several skins, bodog, Ub, AP, a poker checking account, and then a cash game bankroll. My online account's I only withdraw for the intention of moving money around between sites, to take advantage of reload bonus opportunities.

To take full advantage of my Br I probably should just put all funds into one site at time and player higher stakes, but I like the varity of play at different sites depending on what is going on.

Also I treat each site as its own bank roll for management purpose, like as of today I have $1137 spread around over about 6 sites but on stars I have $158. So use the $158 as my BR not the total $1137 so I would be playing .02/.05 NL or maybe .05/.10Nl and sit n gos upto $5.00

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
(#15)
Well Done ACE

I am glad to see you back on track.

Good advice Easun but God knows where I would get the time to be on multiple sites. Managing one is bad enough at the moment.

TC

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Lol, I hear that Top ... but I do like the idea of taking advantage of all the different bonuses though. However, I am over half way to silver star, so I want to earn it and hopefully shoot for gold within the next few months.

I could have been goldstar if I wouldn't have withdrawn. But oh well, I think I am going to take your advice Ea2 and when I get my student loans I am going to deposit $300 into my poker br. I could pay back in full, but I think that should be more than enough to get me back on track.

Been a lot of good advice and support guys, thanks a ton for all of your help. All of you new friends here at PSO are crucial in my development as a player. As a matter of fact, the PSO is the only reason I decided to give poker another shot. I have busted a many of brs from $50 to $1400 one time in one night, and I think it is because I never had anywhere to go for help when I needed it. Glad to know I have new friends that we can all grow as future poker stars (hopefully) together! =)

Thanks a ton guys!! Ace-

p.s. my laptop is screwed up right now, but I am on college computer so if my posts don't have periods or question marks or anything like that in the future it is because my laptop is messed up.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com