Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Top 5 Tips

Old
Top 5 Tips - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hello everyone,

I'm new to online poker and im just wondering what everyone's top 5 tips for NLHE.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 05:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
My personal tips are to:
1)Understand poker
2)study poker
3)practice poker
4)discuss poker
5)Play poker

From my experience, if you can do number 3 as cheap as possible you will get to do it more often.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 06:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
My 5 points:

One: --- Consistency.
Pick a style that fits your personality. If you enjoy a loose style, always play loose. If you prefer an aggressive style, practice intimidation. If you want to be tight, establish a range of hands and stay in it.

Two: --- Patience.
Regardless of your style, realize poker is a game that has an element of chance. Wait for your opportunities. Tight players might wait for group one hands. The aggressive player might consider waiting for the pocket pair. The loose player might have to wait for that elusive ace.

Three: --- Observe.
Online or live, you are at a table with other people. Each of them has their personalities and their quirks regarding this game. Try to learn which ones do what and formulate a strategy to eliminate them.

Four: --- Adjust.
No matter how well you play, there will be situations where you will have to modify your usual habits. Knowing where and when to change from one style to another can be the ket to a successful run.

Five: --- Courtesy
In every poker tournament, there can be just one winner. You know this, but we all tend to ignore the fact that in a game with 2500 players, 2499 are not going to make it. Losses can come from your stupidity. Learn from it, but don't blame the guy who won. It can come from a good play against another player's better play. It's the nature of the game. You could suffer the bad beat, or suckout. We tend to forget whenever the river saved our butts; we only remember the time we had it in the bag and lost it on a one-card, or two-card out. Accept your loss and move on to the next game. Vent if you want, but not at a player.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Hedgehog, that was some sage advice. I'm still learning the patience aspect of the game. I tend to get itchy and start firing when i'm holding category 3 & 4 cards. The only thing I could add is to enjoy the moment. Have fun with the game and the people your with.

Old
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:43 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiLummox View Post
Hedgehog, that was some sage advice. .
I agree! Hedgehog you are a gentleman and a scholar thanks for all your help!

Old
Fri May 06, 2011, 10:40 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2010
1) patience...
2) Dont think your Superman!
3) When tourney have allot of free time and no work the day after! (could be a long long long night!)
4) Dont curse at other players / donkeys.. in the long run they will give us monah.
5) Dont smoke weed and play poker (Still working on this 1... and failing every time)

oh yeah and real important : BANKROLL MANAGEMENT!!

It aint a joke, if you go broke!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com