Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

tight table?

View Poll Results: what is your preflop action here?
fold 0 0%
limp 0 0%
raise 7 100.00%
shove 10BB or more 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old
tight table? - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 07:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
ok this is my first replayer post so lets hope for the best

this is the beginning of a cash tourney so i don't have much input at this point
i run into this a lot where i have a good hand and place what i feel is an appropriate bet
then everyone folds
should i be limping in with these types of hands early in games to attempt to build a pot worth taking or should i just stay my course and live with " it's better to win a little than to lose a lot " ?

i would like some feed back on your thoughts but also would like to poll to find out what others would do here

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:19 AM
(#2)
BronzeStar
What were start stacks?

If this is a 25c 90 man, with 2000 start stacks, it looks to me like this is NOT a very "tight" table. With a couple stacks above 3k, and one over 4k, this looks like a table where plenty of people have been playing plenty of hands since it is still only the 10/20 blind level...

with that said:

This early, I do not think an open LIMP with a hand like AQs is very good at all, especially from Late position.

the things you have to consider whenever you open a pot are:

1) Can your hand withstand a re-raise and/or what is the re-raise "risk"?

You are in LP, so re-raises are less likely to happen with fewer people yet to act; limping increases the likelihood of a wider range raising you, and putting you in an intriguing spot.
AQs is "good", but if raised you might be facing a "race" at best, and could be dominated, so you really do not WANT to be raised, such as you would if you held AA/KK..

2) Is it possible you will get CALLED by "less"?

If yes, then you are better off raising than limping, since you will tend to get more value into the pot immediately. LP means a lot of people will assume you are not on as big a hand as you would be if you raised in EP.

If no, then with AQs, you are likely to fold out everyone behind you a large portion of the time, thus picking up the blinds without a flop at all.

Neither of these beneficial things occur if you limp.

So...

Since you start this hand with 75+ BB, you really do not need to be overly concerned about raise/folding 3 BB because you do not yet have range reads on opponents; that amount is really little different right now to your tourney equity than limp/folding 1 BB. Since you are giving up quite a lot of the POSITIVE things which come from raising to open (Greater "power" for any C-Bet ", potentially getting BETTER hands like 22/33/44 to fold, as well as the above...) by limping, I seriously do not think the trade off is worth it.

RAISE here.

Last edited by JDean; Thu Apr 14, 2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old
?? - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
If the table is super tight- and constantly folding to me in LP- i will standard raise everyhand- till some one plays back at me- gl. monk

NOT in PSO-----!!!! or does that go without saying

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
You played it right imo,
>Dem

Old
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:13 AM
(#5)
thx JD, Monk and Dem

This thread was was half intended to be a test of me using the replayer
it appears that i got that right

JD i get what you're saying about the value and image i'm presenting to the table and it is a valid point
i think i just get frustrated as this actually happens quite a bit to me like everyone at the table can see my cards and know i have KK

Monk i like to do that also
maybe not every hand in a row but i will occasionally do that

Old
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
There is never anything wrong with chipping up.

There is something wrong with limping and seeing a flop of A84 and having absolutely no idea where you are on the flop when raised.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com