Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Little Help Please

Old
Little Help Please - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I frequently encounter what I've been told is called "the Blue Screen of Death" while playing on PS. I don't remember it ever happening on any other web site. All the techno advice etc. from PS and Microsoft et al is confusing to say the least. Anyone else experience this problem? Got any suggestions? This is why I won't play for real money. Thanks alot!

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
I'm intrigued now , what's "the blue screen of death" , please tell me more
I have had my PC have a blue screen then do a physical dump then a scan disc
Took about 1/2 hour to do so
Was in a PSO game with 7.5k in chips and returned to about 6.5k but still managed to win it

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 09:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint valley View Post
I frequently encounter what I've been told is called "the Blue Screen of Death" while playing on PS. I don't remember it ever happening on any other web site. All the techno advice etc. from PS and Microsoft et al is confusing to say the least. Anyone else experience this problem? Got any suggestions? This is why I won't play for real money. Thanks alot!
Hi, there are many reasons why you would get a blue screen of death, often it is because a driver is unsuitable or out of date, things like that (a driver is a a program that controls your graphics or sound for instance)

It is a little difficult to avoid all technical details but can I ask a couple of questions.

1) What is the make of your computer (e.g Dell Inspiron, HP Pavilion etc)
2) Which version of windows are you running.

We can go from there but typically these type of problems are fixed by updating the drivers on your computer. I can help you with that but you will have to physically do the things required, it's easy enough to sort out with the right information at thand and you can run a series of simple checks which I will detail once I have the basic info.

Old
Additional info - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#4)
Thanks for your help. I have a Dell Latitude Laptop running Windows XP. When you mentioned the driver issue I thought about another problem the computer identifies as my printer driver. I frequently get a message stating the driver for my HP printer is preventing the computer from going into 'hibernation'. I've checked and the HP website says I have the latest driver update. Does this give any clues?? I really appreciate any help.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Thanks for your help. I have a Dell Latitude Laptop running Windows XP. When you mentioned the driver issue I thought about another problem the computer identifies as my printer driver. I frequently get a message stating the driver for my HP printer is preventing the computer from going into 'hibernation'. I've checked and the HP website says I have the latest driver update. Does this give any clues?? I really appreciate any help.

It may be the cause, it is difficult to tell at this point. But we can narrow it down by a series of questions. I'm sorry if this seems long winded but as there is something wrong at a very low level, we have to isolate the problem.

Can you tell me,

which model the laptop is, eg D600

and

which make and model of grahics card you have, e.g NVidia Quadro NVS110

if you don't know how to get this information let me know and I will show you

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:40 AM
(#6)
toolzzz
(toolzz360)
BronzeStar
I had the same problem with my dell lattitude....started blue screening on poker stars one day.....i am pretty tech savvy so after running some tests....my hardrive was failing.....and it would fail during more strenuous activities on the computer

so i upgraded my harddrive and it has been running great

hope this helps.....i would honestly say that 90% of the time blue screen errors are harddrive related....i would also do some virus scans just to make sure before you install a new harddrive.....also take a listen and describe what it sounds like...any off clicking will be harddrive related

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolzzz View Post
I had the same problem with my dell lattitude....started blue screening on poker stars one day.....i am pretty tech savvy so after running some tests....my hardrive was failing.....and it would fail during more strenuous activities on the computer

so i upgraded my harddrive and it has been running great

hope this helps.....i would honestly say that 90% of the time blue screen errors are harddrive related....i would also do some virus scans just to make sure before you install a new harddrive.....also take a listen and describe what it sounds like...any off clicking will be harddrive related
Hi toolzz, sorry to contradict you but that isn't correct. BSOD may be caused by hard drive problems yes but certainly no where near 90% of problems, graphics cards account for way more BSOD issues than hard drives (unless there is a problem with the hard drive itself). NTFS/FAT32 are fairly robust file systems, thou crashes can happen in the file system it is oftten caused by something other than NTFS/FAT32. It may be the case in a particular system but there are numerous reasons a system may crash.

I'm not saying the hard drive isn't the cause, just the least likely candidate at this point.

Last edited by VareckRay; Thu Apr 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old
More Troubleshooting - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
(#8)
Thanks,
I have a Dell Latitude 620, My "grapics information" screen doesn't give a 'card ID' but states Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile Report. Device ID : 27A2 if that means anything. I have heard a 'click' on occasion just before the BSOD. My laptop is 5 yrs old now. It is a little slow to respond at times. I appreciate all the help.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 04:04 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Thanks,
I have a Dell Latitude 620, My "grapics information" screen doesn't give a 'card ID' but states Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile Report. Device ID : 27A2 if that means anything. I have heard a 'click' on occasion just before the BSOD. My laptop is 5 yrs old now. It is a little slow to respond at times. I appreciate all the help.

Do you know how to run a tool called dxdiag? If not please do the following

Click your Start button on task bar, select the Run command and type dxdiag into the box as shown in the attached image.

Also you can run scandisk to check your hard drive for errors, do you know how to do this?

The click could be the hard drive or the internal modem switching off, for instance. It isn't necessarily an indication of a problem.

Once you have run dxdiag you will be presented with a few screens of screen of information. You don't need to go thru it all, we only need a couple of things.

Also if you haven't already you might want to update your system to the latest windows XP .service pack, 3, for XP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg run dxdiag.jpg (40.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by VareckRay; Thu Apr 14, 2011 at 04:18 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com