Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Play AK Suited Differently Here?

Old
Play AK Suited Differently Here? - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 07:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I would have raised preflop, instead of just calling. You're opening the hand and need to show strength. If you did raise it to open, you also might have not had them push after the flop on you... which could have gotten you to see the 10. Although, if they did push the flop, you'd be in the same situation.
Calling after the flop, you need to put in 26% for the call. If they have AQ or KQ, then you only have 7 outs (28%)... but if they don't have one of your cards with a pair already, you have 10 outs (40%).... if they have a set, then you only have 4 outs (16%).... or if they have clubs, they have 9 outs at the nuts (36%).

If it was me and I limped with it, with raise to 4BB and then a push, I'd have seriously considered mucking it right then (and got out only losing 200).

There's a reason the hand's called Anna K..... looks good, but can get you into alot of trouble.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 07:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Seems as though you were looking to trap. If so, once the 1800 went in. I get it all in. Live with the move. If not, fold to the raise pre-flop.

JT

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Raise/get it in pre. I would only consider folding pre on a 21bb stack if the guy jamming 9bb's were the nittiest rock I'd seen all year. Obviously since he stacked himself off with K9 and no fold equity, that couldn't be the read. We should be beating him into the pot preflop here.

21bb's. If this is a satellite structure and the bubble is approaching, we can talk about folding AKs pre. In a regular pay structure mtt this is a pretty easy reshove.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Raise/get it in pre. I would only consider folding pre on a 21bb stack if the guy jamming 9bb's were the nittiest rock I'd seen all year. Obviously since he stacked himself off with K9 and no fold equity, that couldn't be the read. We should be beating him into the pot preflop here.

21bb's. If this is a satellite structure and the bubble is approaching, we can talk about folding AKs pre. In a regular pay structure mtt this is a pretty easy reshove.
Agreed Dave, I just can't see playing this the way it was. I agree that sometimes we try different things. However, once you choose to get 40% of your stack in here. It all has to go. So, I get it in pre to prevent me from changing my mind with this flop.

JT

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com