Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

When to get out?

Old
When to get out? - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hello everyone,

I was playing today and have figured out an area that I need to work on. When to get out.
Say I have KK and the villian checks I bet .20 pre flop and he raise to .40 so I reraise and he calls. Then the flop comes up with some random crap that dosn't help me at all like 9 2 5 rainbow and they bet .60 this is where I don't know what to do. Playing tight makes me think I should fold. But am I doing the right thing? Any advice on when to hold on to those monster starter hands? I know that a check raise before the flop is usely a sign that they have a good hand but sometimes I don't know when to let go. Any advice?

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 03:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
BronzeStar
If he is re-raising pre-flop I would highly doubt that he has a better hand than you.

Think about it logically, what would he re-raise you with? Maybe a lower pair of pockets or a nice starting hand such as AK.

He may have AA but I would take the risk on that with a huge pocket pair and that flop. He also might have hit his (possible) pockets, but I would again risk that.

I assume you are playing at around the 0.02/0.05 Level with those pre-flop raises, so his hand might be even worse, remember the skill level at micro stakes is a lot lower. He may even have hit top pair with a hand like A9.

I would see what the turn and possibly river brought and hope no Ace came down.

Possibly consider loosening your play? It seems to me like you are playing VERY tight.

Good players can lay down KK, but only when they think they are beaten, not when there is the slightest possibility that they have been.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com