Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Losing with a set to a flush

Old
Losing with a set to a flush - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
This is my last hand in today's $2.20 5K guaranteed tourney at 11 pm, after about 20 min of play.

Should I play it different?

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Not sure what he was calling with on the flop, and don't see anything wrong with how you played it.

Looks like you just fell victim to the suited monkey nuts. Make a note of the donkey and move on.

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with sugs on making a note on them... will play any 2 suited cards anytime. When you hit the set, the only legit loss is to a set of K's, which didn't happen. I'd get my chips in when I hit the set too, as you were an 84% fav against what they had and 96% against a random hand.

Old
Thank you! - Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:57 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Thank you!

Thus far, out of 4 hands that I submitted here yesterday and today, 3 I played correctly and lost all of them, and in 1 that I played incorrectly, I also lost some chips, but much less than if I played it correctly

Old
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:59 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by glnh View Post
Thank you!

Thus far, out of 4 hands that I submitted here yesterday and today, 3 I played correctly and lost all of them, and in 1 that I played incorrectly, I also lost some chips, but much less than if I played it correctly
Sounds like you have a few coming your way in the form of variance soon.........GL

JT

Old
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
Sounds like you have a few coming your way in the form of variance soon.........GL

JT
Yes, in slots and in the video poker there are often series of blanks before (and after) hitting the jackpot.

Old
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:47 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'm going to take a different angle here. Shove flop.

I think by betting out the flop like you did I'm confused. What are you trying to do, bluff the flop or get value?

If you are getting value what are you getting value from? Do you expect to get a call from A5o, or 8s?

I think you need to re-evaluate your hand your position and the actions of those behind you. When you make this play you are turning your hand into a bluff. You're no longer looking for a call because you're going to shut down and there are a ton of good turn cards for you, and some bad ones. If you're going to fire this out when you are the UTG raiser and you get flatted, you can take away ALL big kings from their range.

When you shove flop the only call you can get here is from maybe a spewy player playing KT/K9 hands like an idiot. There is enough in the pot on the flop to just take it down with TT and you can easily rep a bigger King.

The play here is shoving flop as a bluff, or getting to showdown cheap for a river value bet. Obviously if we checked the flop around I'm betting the turn to make flushes pay.

If you can bet 240 into this pot and get a caller it's hard to proceed, when you see another blank hit and someone leads out for half pot it's now going to be a 1200ish pot with 400 to call, and you're going to value town yourself anyway in many cases. If you c/f here then you should not PFR UTG with so many to act with TT.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com